Which DO should I apply to with my stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lsegura83

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, after researching some possible options for AACOMAS schools I have narrowed down to where I would like to apply. Please review some of my application stats and then let me know what you all suggest.

Male 29 years old
Hispanic/Latino URM
from small unknown university
Mcat 24p 9PS, 6VR, 9BS
Both s&c(GPA) 3.90
Father, and I work (tutor) and odd jobs
High school drop out, GED 6 years ago.
21 ACT 3 years ago.
Graduate summer of 2014

ECS
3 summer research at medical schools (Mayo and San Antonio) with Poster presentations
4 years as an X-ray technologist
Non medical volunteering [mostly Church (CCD) and a few fund raisers]
Tutor for 1.5 years at my university
Musician
MD shadowing (150 hours)
Clinic volunteer 200 hours
Will be shadowing local DO this semester(locally) and during summer during research at (Mayo or S.A. or Stanford)

Texas resident, originally from Mexico.

I will be applying TMDSAS (8 MD and 1DO), however, this post is with regards to AAMOCAS applications schools I should consider.

My MCAT is my obvious weakness and I don't want to retake it.

After some online searching here are the top 5 schools that I have high interest in and 5 prospective schools.

Based on MCAT(nearest mine) & cost of tuition

1. LECOM
2. UPKY-COM
3. VOM-CC
4. NSU-COM
5. KCUMB-COM

6. ATSU-SOMA
7. ATSU/KCOM
8. LECOM-Bradenton
9. VCOM-VC
10. PNWU-COM

Is there a school here that I should reconsider and perhaps contemplate a school not on here that would perhaps work with what I have?

Thank you for thoughts and or suggestions. Please be critical, i need to hear it. lol

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have a decent chance as is. Is English your first language? The big thing I would say is to improve your MCAT (a 27+ would make you a very, very competitive applicant) but I think you should be alright as is if you don't wish to retake. Not sure about TX MD schools but you might have a shot there too? It looks like you probably have a really compelling life story and a lot of good experiences so I can see you having a decent cycle with DO schools.

A few questions about your school list:

Why KYCOM? They have a pretty strong bias towards KY residents I think and are not really considered a desirable place to be all that often.

PNWU has a strong preference for people from the PNW so that might be a long shot.

VCOM also has a strong regional preference I think at the VA campus (dunno about the SC one).

I would suggest you look at LMU-DCOM, WCUCOM, and any of the new schools (ACOM, MUCOM, and CUSOM) to see if they interest you. Also maybe consider PCOM-GA.

Good luck!

With that GPA, I would say you have a great chance for DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you have a decent chance as is. Is English your first language? The big thing I would say is to improve your MCAT (a 27+ would make you a very, very competitive applicant) but I think you should be alright as is if you don't wish to retake. Not sure about TX MD schools but you might have a shot there too? It looks like you probably have a really compelling life story and a lot of good experiences so I can see you having a decent cycle with DO schools.

A few questions about your school list:

Why KYCOM? They have a pretty strong bias towards KY residents I think and are not really considered a desirable place to be all that often.

PNWU has a strong preference for people from the PNW so that might be a long shot.

VCOM also has a strong regional preference I think at the VA campus (dunno about the SC one).

I would suggest you look at LMU-DCOM, WCUCOM, and any of the new schools (ACOM, MUCOM, and CUSOM) to see if they interest you. Also maybe consider PCOM-GA.

Good luck!
I believe VCOM-CC shows some preference to Appalachia area (NC, SC, TN, etc.).