Which european country is the best to study medicine in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LBkali2710

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I just graduated from high school and was wondering which country is best to study medicine in? Also i only plan to study in a european university and come back to my home country to live and work.
By best i mean, the universities give high quality studies and don't have extremely tough selection methods.
On the top of my list are France, Spain and england.
In France I heard the first year they weed out about 90% of the students which sounds horribly difficult to me, I am a very good student that graduated with honours from my high school and I am a very disciplined student,I also went to a french high school so my french is quite good ( I also have 2 years to improve it before i enter university).
In spain I heard the education is great but they never finish their courses in time (for example a degree course like medicine that lasts for 6 years takes them about 7-8 years) ? is that true?
In england I heard getting into medical school is almost impossible, is it really that hard? and after you get admitted is staying and graduating also difficult or more difficult than spain and france?
You suggest other countries that you find more suitable if you like I don't mind

Members don't see this ad.

go to belgium. they speak french as you speak and the selection criteria is not even as harsh as in france. you can easily go through 2nd year. no problem :) england is always a good option, not very hard selection criteria.

where I live and study, its impossible to enter, forget :)

GL

.I suggest its good decision to go England – so you can not only study you will have opportunity to see how it works in another country and improve your foreign language skills.

Members don't see this ad :)
But England is next to impossible, I think because of their policies..

In general West European schools and Scandinavian schools are the bests of Europe(and either very economical or even free!).. but they demand not only excellent GPAs, but also to be good in their native languages as well.. if you have time prior to university to study a language, its a good idea to focus on one of them..

I cant see Belgium schools among the West European quality schools, but I dont know much abour Belgium, out of that they offer 7-year programs and French may work in the programs taught in French (they have other native languages as well.)

Later comes East and Middle European schools: There you can find med programs in English (among them to me the bests are Charles 1st Faculty/Czech, Jagiellonian/Poland, Semmelweis/Hungary, later Debrecen/Hungary, Charles 2nd/Czech, Szeged/Hungary, Warsaw/Poland.. and it goes on). I have a summary list of some of them here:
http://medical-schools.blogspot.com/

By the way, I am from Turkey and it is another option if you dont consider to be an EU school graduate.. Hacettepe is the best (Harvard of Turkey) and giving world class MDs and academicians.. later comes Capa, Marmara and Cerrahpasa.. but for Turkish schools too you need to take native language test at the beginning.. but the difference is that, in West European schools you take courses in native language and you need to know them very well, but in Turkey there are both native and English med programs and in the programs in English you dont need Turkish, but as a principle they wait for you to take the test at the beginning.. I think the most important points are your GPA and SAT score (min 1000).. language test score comes later.. I remember an African student in an English program who wasnt good in Turkish even in his 4th year..

Last edited:
Sorry , but Warsaw Medical University is one of the worse medical university in Poland. The best are Collegium Medicum of Jagiellonian University in Cracow, Silesian Medical University in Katowice and Poznan University of Medical Sciences.

Collegium Medicum of Nicolaus Copernicus University in Bydgoszcz (my university) , Gdansk Medical University, Lublin Medical University , Faculty of Medicine in Warmia&Mazury University in Olsztyn , Lodz Medical University and Wroclaw Medical Academy are medium.

But Warsaw Medical University, Pomeranian Medical University in Szczecin and Bialystok Medical University are (REALLY !!!) the worse.

why do you think MUW is one of the worst medical schools in poland?
According to Polish national medical school rankings, Jag,MUW and Poznan are the top 3 schools in Poland..

Harry, generally speaking, you cant rely on those rankings, they are everywhere and every one says something else. There may be a lot of politics behind. Though I dont claim Warsaw is one of the worsts, but to hear this is interesting for me.

why do you think MUW is one of the worst medical schools in poland?
According to Polish national medical school rankings, Jag,MUW and Poznan are the top 3 schools in Poland..