Which FL's to take? already exhausted AAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lazyindy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know which company offers the best FL's that can best replicate AAMC style questions? I'm currently using Gold Standard and their PS is very calculation heavy and difficult, VR is a little weird, and BS is too physiology oriented. nevertheless its decent practice.

Anybody recommend the following?: TBR CBTs, TPR cracking exams (the ones that come with the cracking book), Kaplan FLs?

Members don't see this ad.

according to SN2ed:

"How would you rank the FLs?In terms of easily accessible tests (tests that are available to non-class MCAT studiers), BR is your best bet.

When considering all four, unlike MCAT prep books, I don't think the agreement on practice test ranking is that strong. Most tend to agree that the later AAMC tests are the best, but beyond that, there isn't much of a consensus. There's even an argument to be made that the AAMCs are only really good for verbal since there are more accurate CBTs in regards to the sciences. Despite this, your first priority should be to take all of the AAMC FLs in order from 3 to 11.

1. AAMC #7-11
2. BR #1-7
3. Kaplan #1-6
4. AAMC #3-5
5. TPR
6. Kaplan #7-10/GS"

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey indy…I am sorry you didn't score your average you were getting on the FL's. But I am sure you will retake and kill it!! A 34 is a great score too btw :) But I understand your frustration with what you were averaging and what you scored. I would also recommend kaplan FL's…everyones verbal sucks, but kaplan bio and physical sciences are the most representative by far! Very experimental is the kaplan BS. I took GS as well..so I know what you mean by the physical sciences being calc heavy..and bio being physiology heavy. I feel an even bigger issue with the GS's is that they are literally all discretes in disguise for bio and PS I feel. Know what I mean? I remember being able to skim the passage and answer just about all the questions successfully in GS--whereas AAMC is much more critically thinking oriented. Good luck man!:thumbup:

Hey indy…I am sorry you didn't score your average you were getting on the FL's. But I am sure you will retake and kill it!! A 34 is a great score too btw :) But I understand your frustration with what you were averaging and what you scored. I would also recommend kaplan FL's…everyones verbal sucks, but kaplan bio and physical sciences are the most representative by far! Very experimental is the kaplan BS. I took GS as well..so I know what you mean by the physical sciences being calc heavy..and bio being physiology heavy. I feel an even bigger issue with the GS's is that they are literally all discretes in disguise for bio and PS I feel. Know what I mean? I remember being able to skim the passage and answer just about all the questions successfully in GS--whereas AAMC is much more critically thinking oriented. Good luck man!:thumbup:

Bro. how does one get those Kaplan FL's? Can u be more specific about what online Kaplan course? I checked their website and is it the Advantage, or On Demand? They all seem pretty pricey to me like $1700 range. Are those the ones u are talking about?

according to SN2ed:

"How would you rank the FLs?In terms of easily accessible tests (tests that are available to non-class MCAT studiers), BR is your best bet.

When considering all four, unlike MCAT prep books, I don't think the agreement on practice test ranking is that strong. Most tend to agree that the later AAMC tests are the best, but beyond that, there isn't much of a consensus. There's even an argument to be made that the AAMCs are only really good for verbal since there are more accurate CBTs in regards to the sciences. Despite this, your first priority should be to take all of the AAMC FLs in order from 3 to 11.

1. AAMC #7-11
2. BR #1-7
3. Kaplan #1-6
4. AAMC #3-5
5. TPR
6. Kaplan #7-10/GS"
ty for finding this quote

Bro. how does one get those Kaplan FL's? Can u be more specific about what online Kaplan course? I checked their website and is it the Advantage, or On Demand? They all seem pretty pricey to me like $1700 range. Are those the ones u are talking about?

I did on demand. But I know people have torrented all of them off the internet. lol not the most ethical route I will admit but people have. I also recall someone literally on sdn in the classified selling an entire mcat folder via dropbox that had all aamc exams, kaplan exams, BR content, TPR content and WB, and all Kapan content and subject tests etc for like $50. lol. Again I don't condone this stuff and didn't partake in this…but the difference in money is dramatic.

Kaplan PS sections are nothing like the current PS section on the MCAT. It's a bit more conceptual than all of them, but the old AAMC tests are still the closest, followed by TBR.

I did on demand. But I know people have torrented all of them off the internet. lol not the most ethical route I will admit but people have. I also recall someone literally on sdn in the classified selling an entire mcat folder via dropbox that had all aamc exams, kaplan exams, BR content, TPR content and WB, and all Kapan content and subject tests etc for like $50. lol. Again I don't condone this stuff and didn't partake in this…but the difference in money is dramatic.
Thank u bro, for your response. I appreciate it.

Reactions: 1 user
Use the Berkeley Review! I've found it to be the most representative. I've taken all AAMCs, some TBR, Kaplan, and GS. Their verbal isn't great, but AAMCs verbal is all that matters. Kaplan is 2nd for me, but I think they make way too much effort trying to make people do poorly in PS. That's just my opinion.