Which institution to list on publication

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ratherbefishing

Name says it all.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a preliminary medicine intern at an academic hospital and I'm finishing a paper from before my MD/PhD program. Should I list the original departmental affiliation (pre-MD/PhD), med school, current affiliation (different from med school), or my future advanced program (different from internship)? Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Where the work was performed should be listed 1st. You can also list your current institution as a 2nd affiliation if you took time during work to write paper. You should not list a future (or current) institution if nothing occurred related to the manuscript. A current institution could be listed for correspondence-only purposes if you are the correspondent author, but it is not listed in affiliations.

Reactions: 2 users
Where the work was performed should be listed 1st. You can also list your current institution as a 2nd affiliation if you took time during work to write paper. You should not list a future (or current) institution if nothing occurred related to the manuscript. A current institution could be listed for correspondence-only purposes if you are the correspondent author, but it is not listed in affiliations.

Thanks Fencer. Love this forum.