Which iPad should I buy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lannister

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on getting an iPad for med school, and since Apple just released their newest line of iPads, it's probably time to make a decision. I'm choosing between the smaller iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, or an iPad mini.

Does anyone have the iPad pro? Is it worth the extra money? I already have a Macbook Pro + Retina and an iMac so I'm not sure if it's worth buying the pro.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What are your main uses gonna be?

droid tablet or Bust.. Would rather use a leapfrog tablet than Ipad

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Reading textbooks, taking notes, pretty basic stuff. I'm pretty technologically dumb so I won't be doing anything fancy.

Oh, also, should the lowest GB capacity suffice?

Surface pro 3. or 4 if you have the money.

But I guess you'll get one of those apple ones anyway since you're indoctrinated in the cult of apple already!

Seriously though... Sell the macbook and get on the surface bandwagon. It's awesome.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
droid tablet or Bust.. Would rather use a leapfrog tablet than Ipad

Haha, to each his own. I love my HTC phone, but the customer service for HTC, Samsung, etc just freaking sucks compared to Apple, which is very important to me since, like I said, I'm technologically dumb.

iPad Pro 9.7 (announced today) with the Pencil > Surface Pro for handwriting IMO. I would say go with Apple if you are sticking with Macbook/iPhone/etc, otherwise the Surface is a great product if you're in the Microsoft ecosystem already.

Reactions: 1 users
Reading textbooks, taking notes, pretty basic stuff. I'm pretty technologically dumb so I won't be doing anything fancy.

I will say this.

Ipads are some of the best tablets for reading materials because of their amazing pixel density.

As much as I love android, Apple has the best viewing screens on the market IMO.

OP, I think 16 gb will be enough. 16 gb will give you maybe 12 gb of usable space. My average textbook takes up 100 mb AT MOST, so you can store over 100 textbook.

I think this is a good deal: http://slickdeals.net/f/8590202-16g...-300-free-shipping?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBar

In general, I recommend checking slickdeals for good deals on an ipad ( unless you are in a rush)

Also, I would HIGHLY recommend the surface but I doubt you wanna spend almost 1k on a tablet/computer since you have a macbook already

Haha, to each his own. I love my HTC phone, but the customer service for HTC, Samsung, etc just freaking sucks compared to Apple, which is very important to me since, like I said, I'm technologically dumb.
Ha Ha google and you tube is your friend I have used that to solve all my problems. But I get what you are saying my mom is the same hence she likes apple... Using apple products is grounds to break up in my book. That and not liking the Big lebowski but I digress

iPad Pro 9.7 (announced today) with the Pencil > Surface Pro for handwriting IMO. I would say go with Apple if you are sticking with Macbook/iPhone/etc, otherwise the Surface is a great product.

Ah, so you can't use a stylus to write on the other iPads?

Ha Ha google and you tube is your friend I have used that to solve all my problems. But I get what you are saying my mom is the same hence she likes apple... Using apple products is grounds to break up in my book. That and not liking the Big lebowski but I digress

Normally google and youtube are good enough, but I guess I'm just bitter because I can't transfer any music onto my HTC anymore, and the incompetent customer service people are incapable of helping me, or even calling me during the time of day that I asked to be called at. They consistently called me while I was at work, despite me telling them repeatedly to call in the morning. Eventually they gave up on me. So I still can't listen to Taylor Swift on my phone. Unfortunate really, because I otherwise love my HTC One.

And, I should add: caring about which brand of computer someone uses is grounds to never date that person at all in my book :p

I'm not interested in anything other than an iPad. So I'd appreciate it if anyone can answer my original question.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not interested in anything other than an iPad. So I'd appreciate it if anyone can answer my original question.
i would probably get the smaller pro. my mom has the regular one and the pen is so much better than just the regular stylus that i use for my ipad air. so if you're planning to take notes on it then the pro stylus is amazing
edit: by the "regular one" i meant the normal sized ipad pro

i would probably get the smaller pro. my mom has the regular one and the pen is so much better than just the regular stylus that i use for my ipad air. so if you're planning to take notes on it then the pro stylus is amazing
edit: by the "regular one" i meant the normal sized ipad pro

Thanks! In what way is the pen better than just a regular stylus? I'm assuming the pen costs extra, do you know how much?

All the med students at the school I will be going to usually have iPad Minis because they are much easier to fit into your white coat pocket during round and such than the regular iPad or iPad Pro. But it all depends on what you will use it for. If your primary use will be more for notes/entertainment then the iPad or iPad pro will be better. If you're gonna want to use it during round and your clinical years to pull up patient charts and whatnot, then maybe the iPad mini will be sufficient. I personally will be going for the iPad Mini since I will def be using it for rotation, and since I will be getting a new MacBook Pro for my note taking needs, I care more about the portability than screen size.

Thanks! In what way is the pen better than just a regular stylus? I'm assuming the pen costs extra, do you know how much?
it's really expensive for a pen, like ~$100 i think, whereas my stylus was ~$15. i've never used it personally but i've seen when my mom writes on it and it's just so neat, like it looks exactly like her regular handwriting. i mean, my handwriting with my regular stylus is legible but it's just a lot neater. there was a post on reddit a few days ago actually showing a med student's notes w/ the ipad pro pen and it was really cool. seems the picture got deleted though

All the med students at the school I will be going to usually have iPad Minis because they are much easier to fit into your white coat pocket during round and such than the regular iPad or iPad Pro. But it all depends on what you will use it for. If your primary use will be more for notes/entertainment then the iPad or iPad pro will be better. If you're gonna want to use it during round and your clinical years to pull up patient charts and whatnot, then maybe the iPad mini will be sufficient. I personally will be going for the iPad Mini since I will def be using it for rotation, and since I will be getting a new MacBook Pro for my note taking needs, I care more about the portability than screen size.

Good point, so if I got the Pro I would just have to carry it around, which could be annoying. At the same time I hate carrying my computer around, it's so heavy, so having the Pro would mean I could just take that to lectures or the library. But then again, I tend to study at home, and I highly doubt I'll be attending lectures regularly in med school.

it's really expensive for a pen, like ~$100 i think, whereas my stylus was ~$15. i've never used it personally but i've seen when my mom writes on it and it's just so neat, like it looks exactly like her regular handwriting. i mean, my handwriting with my regular stylus is legible but it's just a lot neater. there was a post on reddit a few days ago actually showing a med student's notes w/ the ipad pro pen and it was really cool. seems the picture got deleted though

Haha yeah not even surprised that it costs so much.

So it looks like it's between the mini and the pro.

Why don't you just go to a damn store and try them out if you're unsure how the feel of the devices is different?

Ah, so you can't use a stylus to write on the other iPads?

Stylus compatibility with the iPad Pros because it requires newer screen tech. The Pros are 12" and 9.7". The 12" is HUGE, so lucky for you, Apple announced an iPad Air-sized Pro with the stylus compatibility while you're shopping.

The Apple Pencil/stylus costs extra, but worth it in my experience between the two because the Pencil is more responsive to quick writing, and the Surface Pen does not correct parallax as well as the Pencil does -- which basically means it's goofy to write on if your stylus tip is at any angle other than straight up. Who writes like that anyway?

Pen and paper > iPad Pro > Surface

However, a tablet is essential for school because you need the ability to reference and annotate PPT slides and PDFs. Plus you get unlimited flash cards!

The Surface does NOT suck at all. It's a great product. I prefer the Apple Pencil over the Surface Pen, and I like Apple's screens better for reading.

Hope that helps!

I bought a iPad mini 2 refurbished via the Apple Store for under 300 and it's perfect, compact and great for viewing and taking notes on PDFs. I don't think there's a better deal out there and the pixel quality is amazing considering it's"outdated". Also fits in a white coat pocket which could be an added plus during rotations.

Go with at least a 32 GB capacity. I got an Air 2 and it's quite helpful when I don't feel like carrying my macbook pro

wait for a sale on an air 2 now that the new one is out

The new Ipad Air 3 is enticing. The processor ect is amazing. The price is 200 bucks more than the surface 3, which turns me off and imho, is practically the same thing, and is cheaper bc the pro 4/5 is out right now.

The new Ipad Air 3 is enticing. The processor ect is amazing. The price is 200 bucks more than the surface 3, which turns me off and imho, is practically the same thing, and is cheaper bc the pro 4/5 is out right now.

Wait there's an iPad Air 3? I didn't see that on the website!

Also, if you don't buy a gold colored Ipad, you will be shaming the lannister name.

If you are going to use it primarily for taking notes and reading textbooks, you'll probably want something bigger than the mini. However, the mini is the perfect size to carry with you on the wards during 3rd and 4th year. I have an iPad air and it's just a bit too big to fit comfortably in the pocket of my white coat while in its case. Since my iphone is a few years old already, I'll probably just upgrade to one with a bigger screen and leave the tablet at home come third year.

I've used a $10 stylus for annotating PDFs for over a year now and I don't have any complaints. You could spend lots of $$$ on a fancy stylus, but that seems like a waste to me.

I don't have a reason to buy an iPad but apple pencil looks dooooooope if you like to draw and dont have a board for a desktop or something like that. I'm waiting for it to be compatible with the non-Pro version of iPads, which I predict will happen eventually as the tech competitors catch up.

I don't have a reason to buy an iPad but apple pencil looks dooooooope if you like to draw and dont have a board for a desktop or something like that.

I know! I googled some pictures of the apple pen and the drawings people were doing was insane! Makes me wish I could draw.

I'm not a good artist but every blue moon I draw for fun. Not enough to justify the expense, but enough to be jelly haha.

Haha I don't even draw for fun because I'm afraid someone will see my horrible drawings and make fun of me. I don't even doodle in my notebooks during class, that's how bad at drawing I am.

Wait there's an iPad Air 3? I didn't see that on the website!

iPad Pro 9.7" is the iPad Air 3. It joined the Pro line because of new screen tech for Pencil, speakers, etc.

Consider @pinstriped1992's point that you can still mark up PDFs on an iPad Mini, they're cheap, and they fit in a white coat pocket. Drawback is the handwriting sucks, so weigh that in your decision.

Reactions: 1 users
Is the iPad going to be your main device?

Is the iPad going to be your main device?
I'm not really sure to be honest, I've never had a tablet before. I got a laptop and a desktop thinking I'd mostly use the desktop and just got the laptop for taking notes in class. And then ended up using the laptop for everything and never using the desktop. So it's possible it might be.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using SDN mobile

I'm not really sure to be honest, I've never had a tablet before. I got a laptop and a desktop thinking I'd mostly use the desktop and just got the laptop for taking notes in class. And then ended up using the laptop for everything and never using the desktop. So it's possible it might be.

If it's not going to be your main device, you will be fine with a 16GB iPad Air 2 which is now discounted since they announced the new iPads. $399 is a pretty good price.

iPad airs just got discounted today! IMO the best multiuse tablet

OP I'll be using my macbook for class, and I plan on getting an iPad mini come 3rd year. It seems like thats what most students use for rotations because of size.

I wish there was an Apple store closer to me so I could go try them out! I'll probably wait until I go home and go to the store and test them all out.

Sorry to jump on your thread, but I'm interested in the size. I know that a lot of professors give out the powerpoints beforehand and this makes it much easier to annotate on. How big are the powerpoints and if you use something like notability is 16gb enough? I personally have had trouble with not having enough space as powerpoints (especially ones with images e.g. histology) can take up a lot of space. I would recommend at least the 32gb/64gb.

Sorry to jump on your thread, but I'm interested in the size. I know that a lot of professors give out the powerpoints beforehand and this makes it much easier to annotate on. How big are the powerpoints and if you use something like notability is 16gb enough? I personally have had trouble with not having enough space as powerpoints (especially ones with images e.g. histology) can take up a lot of space. I would recommend at least the 32gb/64gb.
I have a 16gb, and I regret not going with the 32gb or higher. I basically only have enough space to keep school-related apps/documents. 16gb is more than enough for this, but I wish I had more space for things such as music, photos, apps for entertainment, etc. On the other hand, it is harder to get distracted when I don't have a ton of games on my iPad...

Another downfall of apps like notability to annotate Powerpoints is that they require you to upload the Powerpoints as PDF files. This is fine for most professors, but I have a few that like to make complicated Powerpoints with animations or pictures/text that enter or leave the slide when the professor clicks the mouse. When you convert some of these Powerpoints to PDFs, you end up with a pile of complicated pictures and text boxes that are sitting on top of other pictures and text boxes, making it impossible to see all aspects of the slide.

Another downfall of apps like notability to annotate Powerpoints is that they require you to upload the Powerpoints as PDF files. This is fine for most professors, but I have a few that like to make complicated Powerpoints with animations or pictures/text that enter or leave the slide when the professor clicks the mouse. When you convert some of these Powerpoints to PDFs, you end up with a pile of complicated pictures and text boxes that are sitting on top of other pictures and text boxes, making it impossible to see all aspects of the slide.

Do you have the Pro with the Pencil ? Or just the Air and a normal stylus? I can't decide if that Pencil is worth it with how expensive it is

Do you have the Pro with the Pencil ? Or just the Air and a normal stylus? I can't decide if that Pencil is worth it with how expensive it is

Pencil is definitely worth it if you prefer to handwrite notes (or even detailed drawings), but if it's just for highlights and the occasional box or arrow, a regular stylus will be fine for marking up docs.

Edit: Also you could drop in to an Apple store to try one out.

If you feel like you are going to use it a lot I'd go with the Pro with a sizable amount of memory, if not than I'd go Air. If I had to choose I'd go Pro (9.7") with 128gb memory, but obviously that's a chunk of change.

Whichever you choose, I would spring for the increased memory capacity.

I have an iPad mini and I think it's the best choice. You can get a bluetooth keyboard if you need it, and it also fits in a white coat pocket if you're carrying it around places (for whatever reason - I haven't needed to do this yet).

I use a $10 stylus that has lasted for over a year. It works great for annotating slides and such. If you truly wanted to write all of your notes on a blank screen (notebook style), you may want to get a more expensive stylus, but I don't know of anyone who uses an iPad for that purpose. $100 for a stylus is a poor use of money IMHO.

EDIT: I guess it's a $15 stylus, but you get 2 of them. Here it is

Would 32 gb be sufficient for saving all the powerpoints/PDF's? Like someone said, 16 would be too small. Obviously 64gb would be ideal but of course Apple isn't offering that, and 128 seems like overkill