Which is a better option?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Passionzfruit

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

If anyone could shed some light on my situation that would be great.
I didn't do well in the first course of Organic chemistry in my 2nd year of undergrad. However my grade for the course is a few percent below the minimum requirement for prerequisite courses which is a C. This is also my situation for one of my physics courses.
I recently graduated last spring so I've decided to take some courses this year in the meantime while I wait for interviews. My question is, do you think it would be a good idea to upgrade these courses since they are important prerequisites for dental school or take more upper level science courses instead to help improve my science GPA? My current science GPA is ~3.2

Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Just as a word of caution...I ended up getting a C- in my O-chem a year or so ago. I decided to retake the course in order to improve my grade. I improved it up to a C+. I was bummed, especially because it brought my science GPA down a lot. If you are going to retake the course, you better be certain that you will have the time to succeed. I worked really hard in the class my second time through and still only scored average on the exams.

I agree with UtaDad. If you want to retake the class, plan to study a lot more than the first time. Make notes. Study each night. Use study help book and flash cards. Make sure you score better.

Good Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
To quote a dean of admissions at a dental school, "If you retake a class, you better get an A the second time. For crying out loud you took it twice!"

Just FYI

Thanks for the responses guys :) So do you think it'll be okay to leave the course as is (I have a C- in the orgo and physics course) and just take other courses such as Microbiology and Clinical Biochemistry instead?

It is totally up to you and you know what is best for you. I am more into retake the courses since Microbiology and Clinical Biochemistry are recommended courses but organicCHM and physics are requirement courses. May be you can leave the PHY but if you retake organicCHM with A you not only improve your GPA but also it is a good review for your DAT. Then your application look better.