which is a better route to take, Acute Nurse Practitioner or Emergency NP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plrae12

studentforlife
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm also looking into the NP programs (Loyola University at Chicago), which is a better option?.. Acute NP with emphasis on critical care or Emergency NP. I like trauma but i really don't have any idea on how demanding the job is. I live in Chicago and there is really not a high demand for NPs here compared to other states. Which one is a better option? I'd appreciate your input. :)

Members don't see this ad.

plrae12 said:
Hi, I'm also looking into the NP programs (Loyola University at Chicago), which is a better option?.. Acute NP with emphasis on critical care or Emergency NP. I like trauma but i really don't have any idea on how demanding the job is. I live in Chicago and there is really not a high demand for NPs here compared to other states. Which one is a better option? I'd appreciate your input. :)

You like trauma but don't know how demanding it is. What are you doing now and what's your background? That would help with an answer.

plrae12 said:
...which is a better option?.. Acute NP with emphasis on critical care or Emergency NP...

Will either one allow you to treat peds? If you work in an ED then the abilty to treat peds is a must. The best route for you may be PA, but I'm biased. What you should do is compare and contrast CCNP and Emer NP education to see which one will best suite you.

Members don't see this ad :)
zenman said:
You like trauma but don't know how demanding it is. What are you doing now and what's your background? That would help with an answer.

I have been working in neurosurgical ICU for 2 years since graduating. I haven't had a chance to try other fields because I have been attempting to finish pre-med, but now i feel that this is taking too long for me so i'm opting for an MSN degree.

Jambi said:
Will either one allow you to treat peds? If you work in an ED then the abilty to treat peds is a must. The best route for you may be PA, but I'm biased. What you should do is compare and contrast CCNP and Emer NP education to see which one will best suite you.

Yes, i believe ENP requires that you treat peds patients. You have the option in ACNP but you also get some peds exposure while in school. Right now i'm leaning more towards ACNP but i don't really know if I would be able to find a job after graduating-especially in Illinois.