About the ads

1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

Which is better: Wikipremed or Chad's videos?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by roflmaoxqz, Feb 28, 2012.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. roflmaoxqz

roflmaoxqz

SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I don't mind that Chad's aren't free. Which videos are better? Thinking of using one as supplement
  2. fas376

fas376

Pre-Medical
    I strongly recommend Chad's
  3. mcloaf

mcloaf SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I don't know anything about Chad's. WikiPremed is great for physics.
  4. Godric

Godric

SDN 2+ Year Member
    I would go with Chad, the guy can really teach gen chem well. I love it. And he teaches orgo well in my opinion (just haven't seen too many orgo videos). His physics is good also (but I prefer reading it, but a friend of mine loves his physics). In all honesty, its $100 for 3 months, and I treat his videos as my test prep company lectures and then work/read my tbr books and do passages. I think it was the best $100 I have ever spent, its a worthwhile investment. You can watch the free videos on his site to see if you like the way he lectures.

Just make sure you not sitting their watching 7 videos a day, its meant to be active learning, so take notes as you would in a real lecture.
  5. MedPR

MedPR

Pre-Podiatry
    Wikipremed has been great for physics and orgo. I don't know about Chad's.

Try wikipremed first, since its free. If you like it, stick with it, if you don't then try chad's.
  6. TXKnight

TXKnight Better Known as TXK

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I go with wikipremed hands down. Absolutely awesome treatment of physics and chem. I like chad's too, he is great and GOOD at the lecture "mechanics". I just learn better in the context that wikiprmed offers
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  7. Perimeter

Perimeter

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Suppose that someone doesn't take notes in a real lecture and can pay attention without them? Does that make it "active" learning? Lol, everyone is different.
  8. typicalindian

typicalindian Gold Donor

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm pretty sure the purpose of his post was to say don't blankly watch the videos just for the sake of watching them.
  9. nabilesmail

nabilesmail

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I just saw Chad's videos yesterday and it was AMAZING!!

This is coming from me thinking:

Khanacademy=not detailed enough
    Freelance Teach: takes too long to cover a topic like 100 minutes of lecture for 1-2 formulas

I tried wikipremed for 10-15 min in one video and I didn't know what he was talking about and it seemed a bit slow/boring.

Chad's videos are awesome!
  10. Perimeter

Perimeter

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Okay, it's just that he said don't watch 7 videos at once... I like to watch/read a bunch of material at once and it works. Some people learn in large chunks like that.

Also, to contribute to the thread, Wikipremed is much better... it is clear that the guy who does those videos is focused on giving people an understanding of the material, look at the modern physics videos he created that is not even covered on the MCAT, it's obvious that Wikipremed is trying to convey an appreciation of knowledge. "Chad's videos" looks like it brushes over things, not to mention it is a marketed product... compared to a free product (wikipremed). As a general rule things that are free are better, take Linux as a prime example, it is the best operating system out there. Maybe Chad is emotionally appealing to people, who knows, if someone posts his vids on torrents I might watch them at 4x speed lol.
  11. mcloaf

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    This is a great point. If you're looking for something to just give you a succinct recounting of formulas and laws then WikiPremed really isn't for you. He goes slowly and focuses on building a very thorough conceptual foundation linking everything together and building as he goes. He's also very painstaking about pointing out minor conceptual misunderstandings that are easy to make and that the MCAT readily tests. This may not be what you're looking for, but I strongly believe that this deeper understanding is essential to being able to look at any PS problem on the MCAT and unpack what's going on, what they're asking, and how to get to the answer. As I've posted elsewhere, his vids took me from what probably would have been something in the 9-12 range on PS to a 14 on the real thing. Jon rocks!
    Czarcasm likes this.
  12. impact2d

impact2d

Pre-Medical
    +1 for chads as lecture + tbr for additional content. He also includes worksheets with each vid. They don't take too long and are worth doing in my opinion. I feel like the chief evangelist for chads lol. It's just that I learn well from videos and lecture- much better than textbooks- so these have been ideal for me. They blow GS out of the water. Also I find wikipremed very convoluted and overall just confusing. It is a great resource, but if you find it convoluted chads is for you.

Sent from my LePanII using SDN Mobile
  13. YouNeverKnow22

YouNeverKnow22

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Chad's videos are amazing. Not even a question.
  14. Godric

Godric

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thank you, that was the purpose of my post. Everyone does study differently, I merely meant to explain to the OP that watching a large quantity of videos may not be in his/her best option, watching a large quantity of video lectures while sitting in front of a computer screen does not yield the best results for most students. Chad and Alan have two short videos, introducing them selves and Chad says many students rush through the videos, but you should treat them as actual lectures, for example doing the example problems/problem sets as he does, pause them and answer them at your own pace.

To add to Chads videos, he has notes added to each video, and quizzes to most, but the notes are useful to add on to. Its a nice template to add on too and it follows his lecture.

Not to downplay WikiPremed, I've watched Trans. Motion form Chad and WikiPremed, and Chad does a great job at explaining basics and explains graphs very nicely and systems, while WikiPremed built a better conceptual understanding.
  15. PlasmodiumVivax

PlasmodiumVivax

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm almost done with TBR studying and there are definitely weak points in my physics and g-chem, would this still be recommended?
  16. typicalindian

typicalindian Gold Donor

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Are chads the *********** videos?
  17. Melomare17

Melomare17

SDN 2+ Year Member
    course saver . com videos
  18. fas376

fas376

Pre-Medical
    Now that I've watched all of his Gen Chem videos and Physics videos, I can shed some insight. DO NOT watch his physics videos. He skips way too much important information and they are just way too basic (it may be useful if you're taking the OATs or something). I feel like I wasted my time watching them since I only found his kinematics videos useful. His Gen Chem videos were really good, though. I'll be watching his OChem videos soon and I'll let you know how they go. I'm a huge fan of Khan Academy and don't like the fact that Chad charges. Will be account be canceled if I give my account information to others?
  19. typicalindian

typicalindian Gold Donor

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    i'm not so sure if I want to pay for all of the videos...I think i'm gonna try wiki premed first and see how things go from there
  20. Melomare17

Melomare17

SDN 2+ Year Member
    yea gen chem and ochem ones are amazing (never tried the physics ones)

LOL dont think so, but isnt there like a 1 month expiration date on the account?
  21. fas376

fas376

Pre-Medical
    Nah, I think it's 2 months (maybe 3).
  22. chemhead123

chemhead123

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  23. MrNeuro

MrNeuro Gold Donor

MD/PhD Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    John Wetzel of wiki premed doesn't charge and I think his videos are WAYYYYY better than chads.
  24. mcloaf

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Well, in WikiPremed's case they do offer study materials for purchase.
  25. fas376

fas376

Pre-Medical
    I'm sorry, but I'll have to disagree. Like I said earlier, Sal from Khan Academy has no hidden agenda - he truly just wants to spread knowledge.
  26. YouNeverKnow22

YouNeverKnow22

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Completely disagree--the Physics videos are way better than Khan academy and Wikipremed was way too dry.

I went from not understanding PY very well to feeling really comfortable with the subject after watching his videos. If you are struggling with PS USE CHAD.
  27. typicalindian

typicalindian Gold Donor

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    So I took the plunge and bought chads videos, I just finished the kinematics ones and I think they are much better than wikipremed videos for kinematics. I can't speak for the other sections yet but so far they're looking good.
  28. COTA2Phys

COTA2Phys

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I did the same....haven't gone through Physics, but Gen Chem seems to be pretty well put together.
  29. typicalindian

typicalindian Gold Donor

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yeah I'm gonna Start the gen chem one tmrow. I just like the way he teaches compared to wiki premed
  30. COTA2Phys

COTA2Phys

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

Me too. Although i do have to say that Wikipremed's Physics videos are still good, just different. I'll be going through Chad's physics and Gen chem videos over the next week or so to see if I can bring up my PS score. We'll see
  31. DrV1984

DrV1984

Pre-Medical
    for those of you using Chad...I'm buying his MCAT prep vids in the next day or 2...are you using them in order, or skipping around through the various topics? I was watching wikipremed, and he seems great, but I wanted something a little more in depth, as with physics especially it's been a couple years and he seemed to just kinda skip right over some things. I used Chad's for my undergrad ochem and i really liked him, but haven't tried out any of his mcat stuff yet. does he show short cuts etc?? and are you using him in conjunction with anything else? I have the SN2ED study pack and was planning to use his schedule, with chad's videos...any input?
  32. typicalindian

typicalindian Gold Donor

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    So I just finished watching the second set of his chem videos and I must say he is amazing at explaining chem!
  33. COTA2Phys

COTA2Phys

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yes, I agree. Gen Chem is one of my weak points. The way he explains things is super effective IMO. Just got done with the solubility lecture, and I feel very confident with these questions now.
  34. COTA2Phys

COTA2Phys

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm going through each section in order. For example, I'll finish gen chem, then move to either ochem or physics. I used EK for content review, but I still feel that I have some content weaknesses. After I finish these videos, then I'll just work problem after problem, and do FL's.
  35. MrNeuro

MrNeuro Gold Donor

MD/PhD Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    what topic????

im a little weak on some gen chem topics and I'm wondering if buying his vids would be beneficial
  36. typicalindian

typicalindian Gold Donor

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    If you saw in my other post I said I'm doing a "power review" so far I've only gotten through the atomic theory and nuclear chem part but he really does make things very clear and I understand things a lot better now. I'm actually looking forward to doing the rest so I definitely suggest it. :thumbup:
  37. typicalindian

typicalindian Gold Donor

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Just wanted to share something else. For those of you that have seen both chad and wikipremed videos, do you Get the feeling that chad is definitely more knowledgable in Chem where as John from wikipremed is better at physics? They are both good regardless but just something I've noticed...
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  38. aranza

aranza

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Can someone link the wikipremed videos please
  39. typicalindian

typicalindian Gold Donor

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Wikipremed.com

Edit:in regards to my question before...after a little "research" I see that chad is a teacher in the chemistry/biochem dept of his school. That explains it :laugh: In that case, I'm definitely going to be using Chad's organic review as well...considering he teaches it haha
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  40. DrV1984

DrV1984

Pre-Medical
    I'm buying Chad's today. Hopefully I'll feel 'ready' by my test date... I was trying to follow wikipremed but some of the stuff I just didn't have a clue what he was even talking about. Maybe after I watch Chad's physics I'll go back and watch wiki since the general consensus seems to be that wiki is good for physics! I've found some pretty good videos for bio especially online too, besides Khan. And I've been using BR after I watch tutorials on most things, because I'm such a visual learner. I think I'll mainly be relying on online videos as I have a hard time concentrating on books!
    If anyone wants a list of the sites I've been looking at let me know and I'll try to post some of them...!
  41. dentalhopeful10

dentalhopeful10

Pre-Medical

Chad's videos are probably the most bang for your buck in terms of review material. Especially if you're a more visual learner(which I think most of us are). He also gives plenty of examples to work with. I used his videos, when they were free, for my orgo class and it did wonders. But if I may ask, what videos were you looking into for biology? It's my worst subject, I feel like I just get lost in my own train of thought when reading any material on it.
  42. torshi

torshi

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Army SDN 2+ Year Member
    how do you pay for them??? Each vid is $4, or $15 for each section or $30 for the whole series. The $30 is obv a better deal if wanting to watch all...is that what y'all did?
  43. COTA2Phys

COTA2Phys

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

I just purchased a thirty day subscription for fifty dollars
  44. torshi

torshi

Army SDN 2+ Year Member
    Oh kk I see, and i think the individual prices are for 90 days. I added a gen chem series and few physics vids to my cart that amounted to $24. Not bad, but still a rip off..and the deal about the videos expiring is ridiculous...this guy is making so much money.. oh well
  45. torshi

torshi

Army SDN 2+ Year Member
    please do. i just bought the chem series and a few physics vids that correspond to my class. I watched a little to check it out, seems pretty good. I'll watch all of it tomorrow when studying.

More insight would be good till i do :thumbup:
  46. COTA2Phys

COTA2Phys

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yeah, I'm sure he's making bank on those videos. Looks like they update them each year though, plus they're supposed to be adding more quizzes etc. (according to the intro video). I didn't realize that the individual videos expire.... I'm just hoping the Physics ones are as good as the Gen Chem ones.
  47. torshi

torshi

Army SDN 2+ Year Member
    1. Rape MCAT
    2. Create Instructional videos
    3. ????
    4. PROFIT!!!
  48. COTA2Phys

COTA2Phys

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    :laugh: :thumbup:
  49. DrV1984

DrV1984

Pre-Medical
    Here are some of the links I've found helpful so far....I'm sure that there are MANY MANY more out there, but these are the specific ones I've looked up so far.
    For a general bio review for free, I highly recommend Khan Academy, He's really good at breaking down the basics, I found Wikipremed helpful, but only if you really understand everything going on in chemistry, physics, orgo first. You really have to follow his schedule, it's not something I found I could jump in the middle of.
    So here's the list:

Sodium potassium pump video

http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sit...ion__how_the_sodium_potassium_pump_works.html

Function of the Nephron video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glu0dzK4dbU

How a muscle contraction is signaled video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CepeYFvqmk4

Cardiac Cycle video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rguztY8aqpk

Molecular visualizations of DNA video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PKjF7OumYo

Organs of digestion video
    http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sit...chapter26/animation__organs_of_digestion.html

Free tutorials vids
    http://rapidlearningcenter.com/preview.html

The ovarian and uterine cycles vid

http://www.sumanasinc.com/webcontent/animations/content/ovarianuterine.html

LAC operon video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPQZXMKZEfw&feature=related

TRP operon video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aAYtMa3GFU&feature=related

Immunology videos
    http://bcs.whfreeman.com/thelifewire/content/chp18/1802001.html

Auditory system
    http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sit...nd_waves_on_cochlear_structures__quiz_2_.html

Polymerase chain rxn vid
    http://www.sumanasinc.com/webcontent/animations/content/pcr.html

ALL SCIENCE helpful links (A&P, Bio, Micro)
    http://nhscience.lonestar.edu/biol/index.html

Virus Lysogenic cycle
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J9-xKitsd0

Conductive sys of heart vid
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te_SY3MeWys&feature=related

Egg fertilization/ovulation
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAgOk3-loUY&feature=related

Genchem vids
    http://dwb4.unl.edu/ChemAnime/index.htm

http://www.learnerstv.com/animation/animationcategory.php?cat=chemistry

Learning names of elements
    http://www.learnerstv.com/animation/animation.php?ani=184&cat=chemistry

Spermatogenesis and oogenesis
    http://wps.aw.com/bc_martini_eap_4/40/10469/2680298.cw/content/index.html

Gastrulation
    http://bcs.whfreeman.com/thelifewire8e/content/cat_040/4304001.html

Gel Electrophoresis
    http://www.sumanasinc.com/webcontent/animations/content/gelelectrophoresis.html

Krebbs Cycle
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juM2ROSLWfw

Hope that helps someone on here;)
  50. fas376

fas376

Pre-Medical
    DrV - those reproductive and immunology videos are perfect! Thanks mate