Which is my best option? Philly Post-Baccs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rp747414

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! So after weeks of anxiously waiting...I have found out that I have been accepted to UPenns Pre-Health post-bacc AND was just invited to interview for Jeffersons Pre-Professional post-bacc...still waiting to hear from Temple's BCMS program.

I have read many things on UPenns program, but not so much on Temple's or Jeffersons (if anyone could help me out that would be great!) I am just looking for advice as to which option may be best for me.

I am definitely interested in exploring linkages, so the options at UPenn appeal to me as well as the reputation it has in general, but what I have read about their lackluster advising, high tuition and the fact that it will probably take me more than a year to complete (due to changes in the MCAT, biochemistry is now required/highly recommended to do well) is steering me away from it.

I got a very good feel from Jefferson's program when I attended their open house and felt as though the faculty truly cares about the success of each student, but because it is a new program, I haven't heard many personal experiences. Also, right now they only have 1 linkage so I don't know if I would be selling myself short by choosing Jeff over Penn.

As for Temple, I am definitely interested in the conditional matriculation into their medical school but again-I haven't heard input from other students so any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I am definitely interested in exploring linkages, so the options at UPenn appeal to me as well as the reputation it has in general, but what I have read about their lackluster advising, high tuition and the fact that it will probably take me more than a year to complete (due to changes in the MCAT, biochemistry is now required/highly recommended to do well) is steering me away from it.

I got a very good feel from Jefferson's program when I attended their open house and felt as though the faculty truly cares about the success of each student, but because it is a new program, I haven't heard many personal experiences. Also, right now they only have 1 linkage so I don't know if I would be selling myself short by choosing Jeff over Penn.

As for Temple, I am definitely interested in the conditional matriculation into their medical school but again-I haven't heard input from other students so any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!
If they changed the MCAT.... (which they did)..... it will affect all post-bacs and the time to complete them, not just penn...as everyone will have to do biochem/ psychology (i think) on top of what they did already.... So all post-bacs are going to get longer to complete... not just Penn's....

And the linkage thing is a waste of time at most programs apart from the truly top tier

So from what I've gathered is that biochemistry/psychology courses are not required for entry to medical school, just to do well on the MCAT...psychology shouldn't be an issue as it was a major part of my undergrad. One of the things that attracts me to Jefferson vs. UPenn is that Jefferson has changed the chemistry curriculum to include topics in biochem, rather than having us take the addition course.

But as for linkages...I was under the impression that as long as you matched the required pre-reqs for some of the schools (ex. 3.5 ugrad/3.5 postbac/30 MCAT), you were eligible to link to that particular medical school-is this wrong?

Members don't see this ad :)
But as for linkages...I was under the impression that as long as you matched the required pre-reqs for some of the schools (ex. 3.5 ugrad/3.5 postbac/30 MCAT), you were eligible to link to that particular medical school-is this wrong?
Sounds like u need to do some reading on the pros and cons, and logistics of linkage

And the linkage thing is a waste of time at most programs apart from the truly top tier

Honestly, usually a waste of time at the top-tier programs as well. Much more difficult to get accepted via linkage than schools would have you believe.

Temple seems like a great deal--if you get in--and if you meet the requirements for MS entrance after PB completion (>/= 3.5 in program and >/=30 MCAT). Very limited seats; so the jump to get over is entrance to one of their 2 pre-med programs in the first place. Getting a seat thereafter seems like it's totally on the individual and perhaps the essential nature of the program.

Bump. Any one have more info on Jefferson? Currently leaning towards UPenn start in summer but considering applying to Jefferson for fall...