which is profession has easier admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BostonSox1901

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am undecided between Optometry and Podiatry. I have visited a few Optometry schools as well as shadowed an optometrist. I loved it however i like that Podiatrist's are able to perform surgery. I finished college with a 3.27 cum gpa and 3.45 science gpa. My issue is that after my sophmore year of college i was forced to retake many of the pre-requisite classes required because i had gone through some issues in life my first two years of college with family issues. I did manage to get mostly A's once i retook the classes however. I am just wondering between Podiatry and Optometry which has easier admissions?

Members don't see this ad.

You shouldn't enter a program because admissions are easier there, you should enter the program you like more and would be satisfied with in the future. Your GPA isn't good, but if you want to perform surgery I recommend applying to medical school. If you do very well on the MCAT and have strong ECs, you can get into a DO school.

Reactions: 1 user

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
So I am undecided between Optometry and Podiatry. I have visited a few Optometry schools as well as shadowed an optometrist. I loved it however i like that Podiatrist's are able to perform surgery. I finished college with a 3.27 cum gpa and 3.45 science gpa. My issue is that after my sophmore year of college i was forced to retake many of the pre-requisite classes required because i had gone through some issues in life my first two years of college with family issues. I did manage to get mostly A's once i retook the classes however. I am just wondering between Podiatry and Optometry which has easier admissions?

I can't imagine basing your career entirely off of what profession has the easier admissions process. Seriously pick a career you love and go for it. Stop being lazy.

Optomcas takes the highest grade as long as it's at the same institution. I am not basing my decision off which has easier admissions i was just curious which one was more competitive. I couldn't find any good up to date stats on podiatry. I just want to know if i am in the ballpark atleast of being accepted if i were to chose that field. Thanks everyone for their advice though.

you can always call the admission offices of each grad program maybe schools you are considering and straight up ask for advice. Dont mention you are thinking of a different career just ask about your personal chances with said gpa etc.

Reactions: 1 users