Which is the best for Pediatrics ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agabozy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to ask about the best book for pediatrics shelf exam and step 2 ck , I want a great source like Step Up to Medicine for IM :

I searched a lot and found that there are those popular resources :

• First Aid for the Pediatrics Clerkship 3rd edition
  • Blueprints Pediatrics New Sixth edition (released 22 Jan 2013).....what is about this new edition ????
  • Kaplan Pediatrics 2011-2012 the purple one
  • NMS Pediatrics ( but last edition is old one 2008 )

please I Need your experiences .....which one is the best that cover most of Peds questions in the exams like <SUTM for IM> .

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I used blueprints for peds but found it to be a little dense. However it was a pretty comprehensive review that is pretty good if you have time to read it. Generally I stuck with case files and did ok on all my shelfs with mostly just that one source. But that's just me.

I want to ask about the best book for pediatrics shelf exam and step 2 ck , I want a great source like Step Up to Medicine for IM :

• Blueprints Pediatrics New Sixth edition (released 22 Jan 2013).....what is about this new edition ????

please I Need your experiences .....which one is the best that cover most of Peds questions in the exams like <SUTM for IM> .

Thanks

Honestly none of the textbooks are very good. I think blueprints is the best of what's available but there's no text that offers the same kind of quality as Step up to medicine does for IM

I would focus more on question books. Pretest is pretty close to the shelf.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard that BRS is decent for the shelf, it was published in 2004 or something though. Can any chime in on how good it is?

Thanks

I've heard that BRS is decent for the shelf, it was published in 2004 or something though. Can any chime in on how good it is?

BRS peds was money for the shelf. I read it twice and rocked the exam (easily my best shelf exam score...definitely NOT going into peds).

So it's not updated? Like for immunization/new guidelines etc?

Correct. The latest edition came out in 2004, but you really aren't missing anything. Immunization guidelines change much too frequently to be tested on that exam. If you are concerned about immunization schedules, then download the latest guidelines from the CDC. Now the different types of vaccines are still important (I.e. which ones are live-attenuated, etc.), but that is covered in that review book.

Loved BRS for Peds. It's more detail-oriented (what dose mg/kg for boluses, etc) but if you know it you are golden for all the basic Peds stuff. Get the most recent version (I think it's 2nd or 3rd ed) if you can; it's vastly improved compared to the first ed. I'm keeping mine and expecting to use it in residency (going into Peds).

Alternatively, if you want something with more reading, less bullet points, Pediatric Secrets is decent. Did not find Blueprints too helpful.

Like Stellar Clouds said, immunizations keep changing. I'd recommend downloading the latest table from the CDC website and just keeping it in your pocket. I didn't need to know much about immunizations on my inpatient rotation, but the table was super handy for outpatient continuity clinic.

IMO, Peds Pre-test was, like most of the other pre-test series, not so good for studying but very accurate in predicting my score on the shelf. I used it only to get an idea of where I was prior to the NBME.

Loved BRS for Peds. It's more detail-oriented (what dose mg/kg for boluses, etc) but if you know it you are golden for all the basic Peds stuff. Get the most recent version (I think it's 2nd or 3rd ed) if you can; it's vastly improved compared to the first ed. I'm keeping mine and expecting to use it in residency (going into Peds).

Alternatively, if you want something with more reading, less bullet points, Pediatric Secrets is decent. Did not find Blueprints too helpful.

Like Stellar Clouds said, immunizations keep changing. I'd recommend downloading the latest table from the CDC website and just keeping it in your pocket. I didn't need to know much about immunizations on my inpatient rotation, but the table was super handy for outpatient continuity clinic.

IMO, Peds Pre-test was, like most of the other pre-test series, not so good for studying but very accurate in predicting my score on the shelf. I used it only to get an idea of where I was prior to the NBME.

There is only first edition of BRS Pediatrics it was released in 2004 !!!!!!!

I have found Toronto Notes are great for clinical rotations....They are really great notes.....but I need your experience about this notes for step 2 ck especially Pediatrics??? ....Do they cover most of the concepts for pediatrics questions in step 2 ck especially uworld questions ??....or Kaplan Pediatrics is better??????....
BTW I love the bulleted outline like Step Up to Medicine ,Goljan Pathology
So I don't like Blueprints in pediatrics (I wish the new 6th edition become better )

and found that BRS Pediatrics is very old one ..it is only first edition released in 2004 (although i hear very good positive views about this book but I love to stick to new updated material)

and First Aid for pediatrics clerkship 3rd edition ...I hear that full of errors and low yield information not tested in the exam

.....So I put my choices in the end between Toronto Notes 2012 Pediatrics Section and Kaplan Lecture Notes Pediatrics 2011-2012 in comparison ?
...Which one is the best from your experiences ???????

I'll also chime in that BRS Peds was my best and really only resource for the shelf, along with the UWorld Step 2 Peds questions. Peds was also easily my best shelf. It's a little old, but the testable material really hasn't changed much over the last several years.

BRS is legit. I've read most of it alongside UWorld and took a practice peds NBME and scored decently. Glad I got it and took the time to go through it, but I haven't taken the shelf yet.

Last edited:
Are UWorld + Case files+ MTB enough to pass shelf?