Which is the better way to boost GPA for medical school admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VelvetAngel

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So, my undergrad school is bad luck for me in my head lol because of so much that has happened thus far, it shows my less than perfect GPA. Now I'm interested in knowing what would the better route be, what do medical schools want you to do in this situation with a low GPA and a good MCAT score and everything else being sufficient to their standards (Volunteering, shadowing and research). Do the actual post baac or do the SMP (Masters program). What do you guys think, has anyone had experience in this, and would adding a minor or 2, just to take extra classes to raise GPA be just as sufficient, or is it better to pick an SMP or Post Baac, my gpa is a 2.5 it is pretty low, I'm not done with undergrad yet, but I have a few F's on my transcript in one class because I missed withdrawal deadlines and wasn't really taking that class like I should've ( I know I can explain myself on the application) Regardless, I did screw up, life got in the way, but i don't want to just apply and see what happens, I want to fix my mistakes, and I am not interested in being a DO, not my thing. Only way I'd be a DO is if it comes with the MD (which I know it can be done). DO,MD is basically my back up method. But I want to get into medical school, go to my dream school the way I want. There is nothing else I want to be and when I Shadow I am the happiest person alive, and when I'm learning medical stuff as well. But yeah. So is an SMP or Post Baac, which is the better route, and will the minor thing help? I do have worries tho getting into an SMP or Post Baac is kind of hard with a low GPA too, So yeah please let me know. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Best bet will be the SMP, preferably one given at a medical school. Do well there, combined with a good MCAT, and it's the back doorway in.

These programs are a dime a dozen, too.

Hi,

So, my undergrad school is bad luck for me in my head lol because of so much that has happened thus far, it shows my less than perfect GPA. Now I'm interested in knowing what would the better route be, what do medical schools want you to do in this situation with a low GPA and a good MCAT score and everything else being sufficient to their standards (Volunteering, shadowing and research). Do the actual post baac or do the SMP (Masters program). What do you guys think, has anyone had experience in this, and would adding a minor or 2, just to take extra classes to raise GPA be just as sufficient, or is it better to pick an SMP or Post Baac, my gpa is a 2.5 it is pretty low, I'm not done with undergrad yet, but I have a few F's on my transcript in one class because I missed withdrawal deadlines and wasn't really taking that class like I should've ( I know I can explain myself on the application) Regardless, I did screw up, life got in the way, but i don't want to just apply and see what happens, I want to fix my mistakes, and I am not interested in being a DO, not my thing. Only way I'd be a DO is if it comes with the MD (which I know it can be done). DO,MD is basically my back up method. But I want to get into medical school, go to my dream school the way I want. There is nothing else I want to be and when I Shadow I am the happiest person alive, and when I'm learning medical stuff as well. But yeah. So is an SMP or Post Baac, which is the better route, and will the minor thing help? I do have worries tho getting into an SMP or Post Baac is kind of hard with a low GPA too, So yeah please let me know. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
First get your cGPA above 3.0. It doesn't matter if you delay graduation by adding minors or another major, or take postbac undergrad coursework to accomplish this. You might use a GPA calculator to figure out how many credits of straight As it would take to accomplish this.

Then apply to SMPs, the majority of which have a 3.0 as the cut off for consideration, getting a 3.7+ GPA. Aim for a known program, ideally one with a linkage into their affiliated med school. This gives you your best shot at acceptance to an MD school.

Reactions: 1 user
First get your cGPA above 3.0. It doesn't matter if you delay graduation by adding minors or another major, or take postbac undergrad coursework to accomplish this. You might use a GPA calculator to figure out how many credits of straight As it would take to accomplish this.

Then apply to SMPs, the majority of which have a 3.0 as the cut off for consideration, getting a 3.7+ GPA. Aim for a known program, ideally one with a linkage into their affiliated med school. This gives you your best shot at acceptance to an MD school.

So I'm thinking of going for a second BA and then the SMP, a Psych BA would be good right? I'm a BioChem major now, sorry for not replying, you prob forgot about this by now.

So I'm thinking of going for a second BA and then the SMP, a Psych BA would be good right? I'm a BioChem major now, sorry for not replying, you prob forgot about this by now.
All of your post HS grades will be averaged into your AMCAS gpa. Have you calculated your AMCAS gpa?

A Psych BA will do nothing to raise your sGPA and demonstrate your ability in med school-like coursework, unless you take a lot of upper-level Bio electives.

OP, as far as I know, no one gets "DO, MD". Need to defer to the Adcoms here.

Given GPA, you should realize that DO would be advantageous for you since they have a grade replacement policy.

A Psych BA will do nothing to raise your sGPA and demonstrate your ability in med school-like coursework, unless you take a lot of upper-level Bio electives.

No I'm saying a Pscyh BA to get into the SMP because my GPA now is a 2.5, my MCAT Score is 42, I'm capable I just had a lot of personal issues and I didn't study and my gpa suffered.

No I'm saying a Pscyh BA to get into the SMP because my GPA now is a 2.5, my MCAT Score is 42, I'm capable I just had a lot of personal issues and I didn't study and my gpa suffered.
Do you have some type of documentation of your issues that might be the basis of appealing for a retroactive withdrawal? Getting even one of those Fs off your record would be helpful.

Do you have some type of documentation of your issues that might be the basis of appealing for a retroactive withdrawal? Getting even one of those Fs off your record would be helpful.

It was just a roller coaster of bad luck, We almost got evicted…. I caught Salmonella(I was hospitalized), missed a lot couldn't catch up, My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer, my uncle passed away…. What happened, happened and unfortunately I can't change that, I can try to get documentation, but I wasn't even aware of a retroactive withdrawal , I'm willing to work to show them I'm worthy of a spot its not a problem, I just want a fighting chance, because this is all I want to do.

Gather all the supportive documentation you can, make an appointment to meet with the appropriate dean in person and state your case (career aspirations, MCAT score excellence, what you'd need to do to redeem your record), appeal to have the bad semester removed from your record. Sometimes the right thing happens. You might try to look up your school's policy in such matters, but it's possible it won't be available on line as it so rarely happens.

OKay, I'll try it, but how far back can this be done? Also, the BA and SMP does sound like a good plan regardless right? Should I retake the MCAT? I mean I think a 42 is good but if the extra points will help then I'll study harder and retake it before the 2015 changes take place.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) how far back can this be done?
2) Also, the BA and SMP does sound like a good plan regardless right?
3) Should I retake the MCAT? I mean I think a 42 is good but if the extra points will help then I'll study harder and retake it before the 2015 changes take place.
1) I've seen successful petitions 2-3 years down the road from the bad term.

2) If your cGPA were to be over 3.0, you might go directly to an SMP, provided your recent undergrad grades show a steep upward grade trend, especially in the sciences.

3) Considering the awesomeness of your score, not unless it expires. It should be good for 2-3 years, depending on school.

Thank you so much for your help. I'll def try to get the retro withdrawal. It should help me get to the SMP without the second BA.

1) I've seen successful petitions 2-3 years down the road from the bad term.

2) If your cGPA were to be over 3.0, you might go directly to an SMP, provided your recent undergrad grades show a steep upward grade trend, especially in the sciences.

3) Considering the awesomeness of your score, not unless it expires. It should be good for 2-3 years, depending on school.

I'm sorry to bother you, So I got the documentation I needed for last semester which was incredibly damaging to me. I got 3 F's. Do you think I'll be able to withdraw the entire semester? Or just one F, If it'll be all 3 then I'm good to go. I just need to convince them….(any tips on that)

Also, I'm basically 2 years behind, because I had to withdraw a few semesters because of problems. I still need to finish my BA which will be done next spring ONLY because BioChem 1s offered ONLY in the fall and Biochem 2 only in Spring, and then the SMP… So I'll be basically entering the year I'm supp to graduate from medical school (I'm turning 24 this week) Does that make me a non-traditional student? I have always been premed. I just have bruises and scrapes to fix with the SMP. I essentially don't mind taking time off to make my application better, that way I can go where I want to go…

Thank you for your time.

1) I got the documentation I needed for last semester which was incredibly damaging to me. I got 3 F's. Do you think I'll be able to withdraw the entire semester? Or just one F, If it'll be all 3 then I'm good to go. I just need to convince them….(any tips on that)

2) I'm basically 2 years behind, because I had to withdraw a few semesters because of problems. I still need to finish my BA which will be done next spring ONLY because BioChem 1s offered ONLY in the fall and Biochem 2 only in Spring, and then the SMP… So I'll be basically entering the year I'm supp to graduate from medical school (I'm turning 24 this week) Does that make me a non-traditional student? I have always been premed. I just have bruises and scrapes to fix with the SMP. I essentially don't mind taking time off to make my application better, that way I can go where I want to go…
1) All schools are different, but usually I see that the entire semester is removed (like at my school). Only rarely is it a single class.

Try to work into the conversation gracefully how those Fs could be the end of your career aspirations to be a doctor. (Having grads get into med school reflects positively on a college, as it helps to entice future matriculants.) This works best if your odds are good, GPA-wise, without that semester. Have you figured out what it would be without that semester's grades?

2) You will be slightly nontraditional in age, but usually most nontrads had another occupation before applying to med school, as opposed to being in school all that time.

Let me just warn you that a constant pattern of Ws could hurt you in the med school application process if it represents several entire semesters. If that is true for you, you need to go forward knowing you have a need for consistent, excellent academics from this time forward. Med schools won't want to take a chance on someone who will obviously take two extra years to graduate from their institution. If you have further issues, it's best to take a semester off and resolve them, rather than to get more Ws again.

Last edited:
1) my GPA will be over about a 3.1, 3.2. Maybe even a 3.3.

2) I see what your saying but that's why I need the SMP they are unofficial withdrawals (Cr/NC) basically P/F, I heard they were averaged in as F's I emailed AMCAS yesterday to get the verdict. I need a few classes from this point on and I'm done. I need all A's which what I'm striving for, if I need a tutor I'll get one, it's no problem. One of the no credits was in the wrong class I registered for, I ended up missing the withdrawl period for that class. Thankfully all my problems have been resolved, hopefully I can get last semester removed and I'll be good.

The above 3.0 isn't counting this semesters grades, that should push me up to about a 3.6 I'm hoping with 3 A's. The online GPA calculators aren't precise to what Hunter calculates but it gives me a good ball park range.

In case you haven't seen this, and just in case it covers your school's grading system:
AMCAS grade conversion guide: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/181676/data/amcas_grade_conversion_guide.pdf

Yeah I seen it, it states N/NC and E/NC and I don't know what that means but D is considered passing in my school. I'm still waiting on the final verdict from AMCAS I heard it's seen as 'supplemental hours'. Regardless of what they say I'm doing the SMP to cover all my basis.

OKay, I'll try it, but how far back can this be done? Also, the BA and SMP does sound like a good plan regardless right? Should I retake the MCAT? I mean I think a 42 is good but if the extra points will help then I'll study harder and retake it before the 2015 changes take place.

Please don't even contemplate retaking a 42 on the MCAT. The fact that someone that could manage such a score on that test is asking whether they should retake is blasphemy.

Reactions: 3 users
I know what you mean, going into it I was okay with a 35... Because It's the MCAT but with my GPA woes I feel like everything else has to be perfect. I think I'm just going to add a Phlebotomy or EMT experience because studying for Biochem and stuff for the 2015 MCAT does not sound fun lol.

Should I retake the MCAT? I mean I think a 42 is good but if the extra points will help then I'll study harder and retake it before the 2015 changes take place.
To echo @orangeman25, it would show extremely bad judgement to retake a 42; the very thing you are trying to avoid.

Yeah, thank you, I worked hard for that grade.

In case you haven't seen this, and just in case it covers your school's grading system:
AMCAS grade conversion guide: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/181676/data/amcas_grade_conversion_guide.pdf

Hello,
I'm sorry to bother you, we spoke in April. Since then I gathered documents (Doctors notes and Work notes) describing why my grades went south that semester. Asked to do a retroactive withdrawal and she said those are final grades. There is nothing we can do. She was looking down on me because of my grades, I feel like she didn't want to help. I spoke to one of the professors from that semester and she saw I didn't even bother taking the final and changed my grade to an incomplete and letting me do over the entire class and she will modify the grade accordingly. The other class, I'm going to try the same thing. But unfortunately for the last class that won't work because I retook it already. The F stays on my transcript and she won't help with a retro withdrawal. I go to Hunter College in New York. Maybe I should try again when the 2 F's are gone. I don't know please help. I flunked that semester because my mother was sick and I had to work full time and I took Biochem, Biophysical Chem and Orgo 2 that semester and flunked basically because I had close to no time to study and have MORE than enough documented proof. Thanks in advance.

Hello,
I'm sorry to bother you, we spoke in April. Since then I gathered documents (Doctors notes and Work notes) describing why my grades went south that semester. Asked to do a retroactive withdrawal and she said those are final grades. There is nothing we can do. She was looking down on me because of my grades, I feel like she didn't want to help. I spoke to one of the professors from that semester and she saw I didn't even bother taking the final and changed my grade to an incomplete and letting me do over the entire class and she will modify the grade accordingly. The other class, I'm going to try the same thing. But unfortunately for the last class that won't work because I retook it already. The F stays on my transcript and she won't help with a retro withdrawal. I go to Hunter College in New York. Maybe I should try again when the 2 F's are gone. I don't know please help. I flunked that semester because my mother was sick and I had to work full time and I took Biochem, Biophysical Chem and Orgo 2 that semester and flunked basically because I had close to no time to study and have MORE than enough documented proof. Thanks in advance.
Getting two of the three Fs off your record is a good result for your efforts. Have you figured out what your undergrad GPA will be if you get rid of those two F grades and complete the coursework in good standing?

Please tell me how.

Getting two of the three Fs off your record is a good result for your efforts. Have you figured out what your undergrad GPA will be if you get rid of those two F grades and complete the coursework in good standing?

I still have the NC (Pass/Fails) which AMCAS counts as F's. I need an SMP for my gpa because of those, I need the F removed… I'm adding a psych major as an additional boost. So I'm finishing with a double major + an SMP. I really want to get into my dream school (NYU). I don't know why my school is being so complicated. I heard this one girl say she was getting F removed because she was sick. I mean regardless, I'll do what I have to, to make up for it. But I rather it not there at all because of the Pass/Fails…. :(

I still have the NC (Pass/Fails) which AMCAS counts as F's. I need an SMP for my gpa because of those, I need the F removed… I'm adding a psych major as an additional boost. So I'm finishing with a double major + an SMP. I really want to get into my dream school (NYU). I don't know why my school is being so complicated. I heard this one girl say she was getting F removed because she was sick. I mean regardless, I'll do what I have to, to make up for it. But I rather it not there at all because of the Pass/Fails…. :(
You might look into whether it's possible to appeal to someone at a higher level than the dean with whom you met. Other than that, I have no other suggestions.

Just study, get the basic info down, don't memorize. Its not as bad as it seems. Its long but you'll be fine. I want to be a surgeon too :) When are you taking it?
Taking it either next January or March. Taking a lot on this semester so I won't know if I can study it while taking on 18 hours, leadership positions, and on a sports team.

You might look into whether it's possible to appeal to someone at a higher level than the dean with whom you met. Other than that, I have no other suggestions.

it wasn't a dean I spoke too, it was a snot nosed advisor who thinks she owns the world ;(

Taking it either next January or March. Taking a lot on this semester so I won't know if I can study it while taking on 18 hours, leadership positions, and on a sports team.

I know what you mean, I had a lot going on too, make a schedule and adhere too it. Everyone has a different learning style, some people have photographic memory. You have plenty of time, just practice good time management. I got ready in 3 months. Thats the recommended study time.

I know what you mean, I had a lot going on too, make a schedule and adhere too it. Everyone has a different learning style, some people have photographic memory. You have plenty of time, just practice good time management. I got ready in 3 months. Thats the recommended study time.
Will do man. Just made a spreadsheet actually of what I will be doing day by day, hour by hour (how I operate). Have less free time but having it planned out relieves a lot of stress.

Here's my two cents. If you're a rising Junior/Senior then getting a 4.0 for the last 4-8 semesters will barely get you over a 3.0, depending how you many credits you have. Yes, a strong upward trend with a 42 MCAT is really good. However, even with that fantastic MCAT, it won't guarantee a spot in medical school. I would suggest an SMP because it is tailored for people that want to go into med school but didn't get a competitive GPA. Go to one that has ties to a medical school and has classes that med students take with the masters students.

Listen to the greats like gyngyn and goro.

Will do man. Just made a spreadsheet actually of what I will be doing day by day, hour by hour (how I operate). Have less free time but having it planned out relieves a lot of stress.

Here's my two cents. If you're a rising Junior/Senior then getting a 4.0 for the last 4-8 semesters will barely get you over a 3.0, depending how you many credits you have. Yes, a strong upward trend with a 42 MCAT is really good. However, even with that fantastic MCAT, it won't guarantee a spot in medical school. I would suggest an SMP because it is tailored for people that want to go into med school but didn't get a competitive GPA. Go to one that has ties to a medical school and has classes that med students take with the masters students.

Listen to the greats like gyngyn and goro.

Yeah, Thanks