Which is the least rewarding specialty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Erica Lewinski

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which is the least rewarding specialty? in your opinion. IOW: What discipline has the worst street reputation, among candidate-MDs to pursue, as it may offer some of the lowest ratios for:
1) dollars-earned / hours-worked
2) satisfaction-achieved / hours-worked
3) amount-of-intelligent-work-needed / amount-of-drudgery-work-routinely-required
4) expected growth-in-income/experience-years
5) deep-healthcare-issues-corrected_or_resolved / merely_helped_with_the_cosmetic_issues
6) good_patient_interactions / number_of_patients_cared
7) Hours_available_for_balancing_family_life / hours_awake etc.

The bottom line is: I'm desperately looking for a place to work as a resident this coming year and I want to optimize my number of applications with a limited budget, to ensure an open door somewhere, no matter what discipline. Its almost vital for me that I find a match this last year. So, I have to ensure my success of a residency admission. Hence, I'm open for almost anything and anywhere in the nation. And I thought, with very limited choices open for me, it will be easier to find a spot that others dislike. Hence, the question. [BTW: I'm a US Citizen, ECFMG-Certified (USMLE-I & II) candidate].

Members don't see this ad.

ARE YOU FOR REAL??? You sound like someone with absolutely ZERO direction in life and just wants to enter something for the sake of being in something, and WHY IN DA HAILL did you have the nerve to post that in the FP board of all boards??

Ya know, I can really go off on this fool, but I am WAY too tired AND on call tonight, so I will defer to the other participants of this board to offer up some of that Rick James 5-finger therapy.

(Rick James to Charlie Murphy): What did the 5 fingers say to the face??

S.L.A.P.!!!!!!!!!!

dksamp said:
ARE YOU FOR REAL??? You sound like someone with absolutely ZERO direction in life and just wants to enter something for the sake of being in something, and WHY IN DA HAILL did you have the nerve to post that in the FP board of all boards??

Ya know, I can really go off on this fool, but I am WAY too tired AND on call tonight, so I will defer to the other participants of this board to offer up some of that Rick James 5-finger therapy.

(Rick James to Charlie Murphy): What did the 5 fingers say to the face??

S.L.A.P.!!!!!!!!!!
Its not a question of zero-direction dksamp, but, just a question of despondency of
the avg. US Citizen, ECFMG-Certified applicants like myself, of trying to find a residency
spot. If slapping me would make you feel any better (I understand you were too tired last
night), please slap away ... but, please help me find a residency spot. I'll really
appreciate any help from you and you'll be rewarded! The ball will be in your court then,
on whether to choose "a slap for me" as your reward or a cool thousand buckaroos from me,
as your reward! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Get on the phone and start calling places. That's where I would start.

There are plenty of rural and "less well to do" innercity community programs where I'm sure you can match. I'm sure there are a few places in the south side of Chicago that would at least take a look at you. Perhaps Alaska...almost guaranteed if you are female. :)

Pretty funny post I must admit though. There are plenty of residencies where you can be miserable at here in America!

Well as bad as it sounds, if your that desperate and just want to get into anything, regardless if you like it or not the easiest spots to get into are public information. Just check out the last few years of match results. Heck I'll save you the trouble.
IM, FP and Psych are probably the easiest. If you want to get easier, go for the community hospitals and not the university programs.

The American Board of Family Practice, publishes a phone number that lists the empty FP slots.

Check with the www.abfp.org or www.abfp.com website, call the board, and they should be able to help you with that number.

Good Luck.

EH.

Erica Lewinski said:
7) Hours_available_for_balancing_family_life / hours_awake etc.

It may be hard to balance family life while asleep.

However, if you find a specialty with a 1:1 sleep:awake ratio, let me know.