Which letter of rec?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

talkalot24

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The instructions on the supplemental say:

For students attending a school without a pre-medical committee, two letters of recommendation are required from professors who know you well and who have taught you in a formal classroom setting. One letter should be from a faculty member in your most recent major or degree-granting department and the other may be from any professor of your choice. An applicant may submit additional letters of recommendation, but the Committee prefers that you send no more than three letters (3) in total.
----

My school does not have a committee. I'm submitting 3 letters, which is the max. Two of them are set in stone -- one is from a non-science professor who knows me well, and one is from an MD who I have worked for for 3 years. The other is going to be from a chemistry professor, which was my major. I want to submit the one from the professor who taught me in an advanced lab class that had both undergrad and graduate students; it was a 2-credit-hour class. He was also my advisor for undergraduate research. But, the other professor that I have a letter from taught me in two typical courses -- not a lab course and undergrad research.

So my question is really this: since the instructions say have a letter from someone who "taught you in a formal classroom setting" do you think the first letter is ok?

Members don't see this ad.

The instructions on the supplemental say:

For students attending a school without a pre-medical committee, two letters of recommendation are required from professors who know you well and who have taught you in a formal classroom setting. One letter should be from a faculty member in your most recent major or degree-granting department and the other may be from any professor of your choice. An applicant may submit additional letters of recommendation, but the Committee prefers that you send no more than three letters (3) in total.
----

My school does not have a committee. I'm submitting 3 letters, which is the max. Two of them are set in stone -- one is from a non-science professor who knows me well, and one is from an MD who I have worked for for 3 years. The other is going to be from a chemistry professor, which was my major. I want to submit the one from the professor who taught me in an advanced lab class that had both undergrad and graduate students; it was a 2-credit-hour class. He was also my advisor for undergraduate research. But, the other professor that I have a letter from taught me in two typical courses -- not a lab course and undergrad research.

So my question is really this: since the instructions say have a letter from someone who "taught you in a formal classroom setting" do you think the first letter is ok?

dude, you said it yourself - they want someone who "taught you"... they obviously don't care if it's a 1 hour course or a 10 hour course... get the letter that you think is better and more thorough/personal...

good luck! :luck:

Yeah, I just wasn't sure if a lab course was okay, or if it needs to be a lecture class.

Members don't see this ad :)
i dont know what school this is, but for certain schools it cannot be from a lab professor simply bc they lecture for an hour and then you go into lab n interact with your TAs, i know for UCSF maybe UCSD too they meaning professors who has taught you in a lecture/non-lab course

Personally, I would play it safe and send out the last LOR, but why don't you send the LOR from your lab/research professor out as the other academic letter? I don't know how committed you are to the letter from your non-science professor, but I would say that a letter from someone who has known you in both an academic and research setting has the potential to be very powerful.

On the other hand, you could always just call the school and ask - schools are fairly used to questions like this one, and they are the only ones who will be able to truly answer your question.

I would send the one from the lab- because it sounds like he would be a more solid letter. Also, he would be able to tell about your research skills in the letter which is nice.

Good luck deciding- I went sorta non-trad for my non-science... it was a professor that I took a course with on study abroad then did research with- so that wasn't quite the "formal classroom setting"... for science I used a teacher that I studied abroad with and had 2 courses on campus in normal setting...

I think what they want is a teacher who is from your major and gave you a grade (so you don't just send physician, volunteers, research, etc)