Which Med School Should I Go to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dwooten4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! :horns:
I've been lucky enough to be accepted to 3 medical school so far: Loma Linda University, Medical College of Georgia(MCG), University of Cincinnati (I'm also waiting on being accepted to Emory right now). Now that I have options, I need to choose which school I want to go to. My heart is telling me Loma Linda. I'm considering this because I'm tired of living in the south (I've lived here all my life), a few of my undergrad classmates are going there next year, my girlfriend(we're kind of serious) lives in the same state, and its a really nice location(weather, reasonably close entertainment.) My only concern is price. While MCG tuiton is around $26,000(no word yet on scholarships), Loma Linda's is around $50,000 (even though I have a $20,000 scholarship offer)! So considering living expenses, Loma Linda could end up being $50,000 a year including my scholarship. So my question to you guys is how much of a consideration should finances be? Going to MCG will definitely be easier on me in the future as far as loan debt is concerned (and I would be close to family), but I feel I would enjoy my time in school more at Loma Linda.

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you are comfortable with LLU's lifestyle contracts, then by all means. $26k is not a lot in the grand scheme of things as a physician and it sounds like its a price that may be worth paying considering the benefits.

hello california? land of the beautiful sun kissed boys and girls? is this even a real question?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! :horns:
I've been lucky enough to be accepted to 3 medical school so far: Loma Linda University, Medical College of Georgia(MCG), University of Cincinnati (I'm also waiting on being accepted to Emory right now). Now that I have options, I need to choose which school I want to go to. My heart is telling me Loma Linda. I'm considering this because I'm tired of living in the south (I've lived here all my life), a few of my undergrad classmates are going there next year, my girlfriend(we're kind of serious) lives in the same state, and its a really nice location(weather, reasonably close entertainment.) My only concern is price. While MCG tuiton is around $26,000(no word yet on scholarships), Loma Linda's is around $50,000 (even though I have a $20,000 scholarship offer)! So considering living expenses, Loma Linda could end up being $50,000 a year including my scholarship. So my question to you guys is how much of a consideration should finances be? Going to MCG will definitely be easier on me in the future as far as loan debt is concerned (and I would be close to family), but I feel I would enjoy my time in school more at Loma Linda.
Crongrats Dwooten! This is a good problem to have. Is the 20K loma linda scholarship per year or total? If per year, Loma Linda sounds great :)

Don't think of this as a one year proposition. It's four years. So, 4 X $50,000 = $200,00 plus living expenses.
Is the $20K for all four years or the first?
CA is one of the most expensive places in this country.
What is the actual or estimated cost of attendance, which is more than tuition plus r/board. That's how you have to look at it.

The other thing that's really important, is the LL contractual agreement. Since you never once mentioned it as a consideration, I'm not sure you're that committed. It's really a life style. Therefore, I'd lean more towards MCG.

Thanks for all the responses! The $20,000 scholarship is per year so its $80,000 in total over 4 years. Also I am a Seventh-Day Adventist so the lifestyle agreement isn't a problem for me at all. The estimated cost of living taken from Loma Linda's website is $69,250 per year (minus $20,000 from my scholarship its $49,250) where as its $47,865 per year for MCG(I'm expecting some kind of scholarship from MCG though).

Reactions: 1 user
Let me just say that Loma Linda's location really isn't as great as you think. Yes, it's in California, but its practically almost in the desert. It would take you at least an hour to drive to L.A. (without traffic), and with traffic, that could easily be 2+ hours.

it really depends on what lifestyle you want. In the grand scheme, you'll be able to pay it back with your physician salary. Go to a place where YOU will be happy and agrees with your life choices.

Thanks for all the responses! The $20,000 scholarship is per year so its $80,000 in total over 4 years. Also I am a Seventh-Day Adventist so the lifestyle agreement isn't a problem for me at all. The estimated cost of living taken from Loma Linda's website is $69,250 per year (minus $20,000 from my scholarship its $49,250) where as its $47,865 per year for MCG(I'm expecting some kind of scholarship from MCG though).

$80k is nothing to sneeze at. Cheaper is better.

Just remember: scholarships don't increase even if tuition does. Does sound as if LL's lifestyle could fit you well.

So, are you saying that, save for a scholarship from MCG, there is essentially no difference in COA between the two schools? And that you prefer Loma Linda for all the reasons you outlined in the first post? Why are you even asking the question?