Which meds school have no classes on Yom Kippur and/or Rosh Hashanah?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mariambaby3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any schools that have no classes during those days?

Members don't see this ad.

We didn't have class on Rosh Hashanah and we were allowed to skip for Yom Kippur if we needed to. This is in preclinical years, however. I think it becomes significantly less flexible once you enter your clinical years. Generally, if you need to take off during preclinical, particularly for religious or family reasons, you can do so. Again, as you move onto clinical years, you might not have this opportunity.

SUNY schools are typically off on those days (I interviewed on one recently and there was in fact no class)

Members don't see this ad :)
This is from the Icahn School of Medicine at Mt. Sinai:

NB: ISMMS, drawing on and respecting all traditions, is a secular institution. Our student body is comprised of individuals from diverse backgrounds and religious beliefs. We are sensitive to commitments to all religious observances, but do not build our yearly academic calendar around them. Students should adhere to the excused absence policy as outlined in the student handbook
Updated 7/6/15

Einstein and the Israeli schools. However, most schools are sufficiently sensitive to make arrangements for students who have religious observance

It's more common than I'd have thought on the East Coast.
Pretty sure most of the Philly schools got them off.

NYMC too I would think right?

I understand that one's religion is very important and all respect should be given to it. However, just keep in mind medicine is a field that never takes a break. Many religions make exceptions to work on holy days of obligations when it involves saving a life. I would encourage to keep this in mind during residency as the days that you cannot work will still need to be covered by your co-residents and it's not fair to them if you do this on too regular a basis. Food for thought.

Reactions: 1 user
Every school I've looked into so far records their lectures, so missing class in that case would not be an issue.

it's clinical rotations (or tests) that are the issues if you need off.

Very true, very true. I see OP was asking about classes though but maybe they were referencing all commitments not just lectures.

Every school I've looked into so far records their lectures, so missing class in that case would not be an issue.
Most schools still have some mandatory events/lectures/discussions/etc some time, ability to skip those depends. Also can be annoying to group members if it's on a day like anatomy dissection depending on what work needs to be done, although for the most part you can usually come in on your own time and work to make it up to them. Wards are a different matter though...

I understand that one's religion is very important and all respect should be given to it. However, just keep in mind medicine is a field that never takes a break. Many religions make exceptions to work on holy days of obligations when it involves saving a life. I would encourage to keep this in mind during residency as the days that you cannot work will still need to be covered by your co-residents and it's not fair to them if you do this on too regular a basis. Food for thought

I'm sure that OP is aware of that. They were asking about schools that won't put additional burdens on their religious obligations during the pre-clincal years, when lives are not in danger. However, I don't see how lives are endangered during the clinical years by having medical students stay home. It's having medical students show up that endangers patient lives. ;)

In my experience, the people who take off for Jewish holidays will volunteer to work Christmas eve and Christmas day, and will typically work the secular holidays as well (Thanksgiving and New Years ). They will try to avoid working Saturdays, but will work Sundays instead. You are correct that life and death situations take precedence over all else, and I'm sure that OP is aware of that. However, I'm sure that we would agree that a schedule that's set in advance is not a life and death situation. If a student takes a day off during the week on rotations, they could make that day up on a Sunday without any negative impact on patient care. Sacrifices can be saved for later, when it's necessary.

He wasn't asking about residency, but your point is well taken. He will either have to work, or take vacation days during holidays, or work extra Sundays to make it up to the other residents, or some combination of the above. My guess is that he's aware that in residency and in practice more compromises may need to be made.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm sure that OP is aware of that. They were asking about schools that won't put additional burdens on their religious obligations during the pre-clincal years, when lives are not in danger. However, I don't see how lives are endangered during the clinical years by having medical students stay home. It's having medical students show up that endangers patient lives. ;)

In my experience, the people who take off for Jewish holidays will volunteer to work Christmas eve and Christmas day, and will typically work the secular holidays as well (Thanksgiving and New Years ). They will try to avoid working Saturdays, but will work Sundays instead. You are correct that life and death situations take precedence over all else, and I'm sure that OP is aware of that. However, I'm sure that we would agree that a schedule that's set in advance is not a life and death situation. If a student takes a day off during the week on rotations, they could make that day up on a Sunday without any negative impact on patient care. Sacrifices can be saved for later, when it's necessary.

He wasn't asking about residency, but your point is well taken. He will either have to work, or take vacation days during holidays, or work extra Sundays to make it up to the other residents, or some combination of the above. My guess is that he's aware that in residency and in practice more compromises may need to be made.

Oh yeah, I agree completely with you. I was just providing an FYI on what's to come since OP will be a resident in a couple of years. I think dealing with call burden is a legitimate concern especially when you're in the thick of it now ;) and/or if you're in a small program to begin. But I'm sure OP will be considerate to his/her fellow co-residents when the times comes.

Reactions: 1 user
Stony Brook does have classes on Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashanah. However, they are sensitive to religious holidays and observances. Students are allowed to request those days off, but its up to them to make sure they keep up with the material that they have missed.