Which of these spots would you take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamesLMT

Accidentally Accepted
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Doing an away rotation and am trying to both shine a bit and get my foot in the door with the IM program. Doing a general IM sub-I isn't an option. I have three choices:

Hem/Onc – 1 wk with IM res, then with fellows

Nephro – with 2 different IM residents during the month

Pulm – with IM pgy 1’s

I don't particularly have a better foundation in one over the other but I feel as I could work my butt of in any of them. I feel that I could learn from any of them and apply my experiences to the future. So, which one would you guys choose?

Members don't see this ad.

Impressing the house staff is mostly irrelevant, you are focussing on the wrong group. You want to be with a senior attending and do a great job. It is easier to shine on a less busy consult service, where you will have more time to see/read about patients.

Reactions: 1 user
I would recommend the nephro rotation - in my experience, the attendings are good with teaching generally and the experience/education in nephro/acid-base and lytes basics may give you an edge as a PGY1 and help you shine on rounds. IMO pulm & heme are more clinical and come more naturally to most new interns

Doing an away rotation and am trying to both shine a bit and get my foot in the door with the IM program. Doing a general IM sub-I isn't an option. I have three choices:

Hem/Onc – 1 wk with IM res, then with fellows

Nephro – with 2 different IM residents during the month

Pulm – with IM pgy 1’s

I don't particularly have a better foundation in one over the other but I feel as I could work my butt of in any of them. I feel that I could learn from any of them and apply my experiences to the future. So, which one would you guys choose?

This is easy. Do the pulmonary or the nephro. Go with whichever you want to learn about more.