Which order of resources should I use to study

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mnotarom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Okay so I just bought the DAT achiever, Top score, Kaplan Blue Book, DAT destroyer and crack DAT PAT. What is the order in which I should go through these? Are any of them better to do before another? Also which did you find most useful? Please let me know.. I have 4 months.. :eek:

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

Okay so I just bought the DAT achiever, Top score, Kaplan Blue Book, DAT destroyer and crack DAT PAT. What is the order in which I should go through these? Are any of them better to do before another? Also which did you find most useful? Please let me know.. I have 4 months.. :eek:

Thanks!

I just started DAT studying and actually purchased everything you have.. Anyways, what I did first was take topscore test 1 to see where I was at. This really didn't effect my study schedule.

What I'm doing is taking a month for each science so January=Biology; February=General Chemistry; and March=Organic Chemistry. During these three months I will be working on PAT, RC, and QR a little each day. During April and the first part of May my plan is to start reviewing the sciences each day. Two weeks after my last final will be my exam date. During those two weeks, I'm going to do nothing but DAT and plan on going through each of those resources 1 or 2 more times. That's just my plan though, and to each his (or her) own.

Many people here will tell you to study everything at once.. Alternate each day maybe, so you don't forget. I'm against that as I feel it would be overwhelming at first but then again, I have all of April and May for the cumulative review.

All I can really tell you (and most people agree on this) is start bio with CliffsAP. Then skim through KBB and hit destroyer last. The same thing goes for chem and ochem. KBB and then destroyer. Destroyer is some tough stuff and you need to be prepared going into it.

It also helps (as I've been told) to watch "Chad's Videos" or get a copy of "Alan's Notes." Do a little searching and you will find these. The chad videos are for gchem and ochem and Alan's notes are mainly for biology but also have chem and ochem. People have said you should be able to get a 20 in bio if you just know what's on those notes (it's either 10 or 18 pages).

I must say CrackPAT is amazing.. I've went from a topscore 16 to an 18 on crackpat with only a few evenings of studying.. and crackpat is MUCH harder than the pat on topscore. The angles are flipping crazy. I still need to figure that one out..

Anyways, I think that's about everything. Best of luck to you on the DAT.

I studied for a total of ~1.5 months. In the first month, I used Kaplan (course), and cross-referenced all of the info with wikipedia. In the last 2-3 weeks, I used Achiever (1 test per week), and I likewise cross-referenced that info with wikipedia. In the final week, I did 10 cdp tests and 11 cdm tests. This kept me sharp with pat and qr (the two sections that rigorous practice is crucial for). I didn't use topscore because i heard it was too easy. I didn't use destroyer because i didn't deem its bio info relevant enough (too specific) when I skimmed through it.

What I used to study for DAT was KBB, Cliffs AP bio, Topscore, and DAT Destroyer. I started out by reading the same sections of bio in KBB and in Cliffs. I made an outline when reading KBB and added other info from Cliffs. This made sure that I didn't miss any info. Between the two you should have enough info for bio. Then I continued reading KBB for Chem and OChem and made outlines as well. After finishing that book, I watched Chad's videos for chem because he goes over the info and gives some practice problems. I started doing DAT Destroyer questions for all subjects. Bio I was doing well in and any questions that i had gotten wrong I read the solution over well and wrote it in my outline. I always did well in Ochem so DAT destroyer ochem was pretty simple except for some of the lab test questions. I went through chem and set up the equations and used a calculator to solve the questions. I did this because people told me that on DAT day i would only have to setup the equations. I finished DAT destroyer and took some practice tests. Topscore was the only tests that I used. I went through Destroyer a few more times then took the DAT. And for math and reading i practiced a few times a day while doing the sciences along with PAT. ok thats it

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know where you can find Alans Notes? I've been looking around, but I really can't find them!

I must say CrackPAT is amazing.. I've went from a topscore 16 to an 18 on crackpat with only a few evenings of studying.. and crackpat is MUCH harder than the pat on topscore. The angles are flipping crazy. I still need to figure that one out..

Anyways, I think that's about everything. Best of luck to you on the DAT.

I also wanted to ask you, how did you feel about crack PAT? I am hearing mixed reviews about it?

Since you have plenty of times, I will recommend this way which what I am doing.
cambell biology for month
exam cracker 3 times this will boost up your reading ability as well as biology
DAT TO GO BIOLOGY memorize every single contents on this summary
DAT destroyer
Achiever, Topscore,
Real DAT BOOM~~~~~~~

Since you have plenty of times, I will recommend this way which what I am doing.
cambell biology for month
exam cracker 3 times this will boost up your reading ability
as well as biology
DAT TO GO BIOLOGY memorize every single contents on this summary
DAT destroyer
Achiever, Topscore,
Real DAT BOOM~~~~~~~

Are you talking about RC mcat exam cracker?

Did you get my email? :)

Yes and I sent you the notes.

I also wanted to ask you, how did you feel about crack PAT? I am hearing mixed reviews about it?

I think crackPAT is great. I had mixed feelings at first but I've since been convinced it was worth every penny. I posted that I went from topscore 16 to crackPAT 18 which really isn't a huge jump but please not that's only a few hours of work-- and as I said CrackPAT is much harder than topscore. Basically I'm getting all the TFE, Keyhole, Pattern Folding, and Cube questions correct right now. I'm having troubles with the angles and hole punches but with time I will have those down perfectly. I was terrified of keyhole, TFE, and pattern folding on the topscore test I took at first.. they looked like a foreign language but with CrackPAT, they are very simple now. I bought the royal edition so I could have maximum exposure but I think even getting the simplest version will get the point across and I've been told you can always upgrade to a better version later.

Definitely go through Kaplan first. Once you have gone through that you can then go through and tackle the practice questions in destroyer, Topscore and/or Achiever. U can use the CDP in between studies. It's fun to do on down time :)