Which pain board to take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dunecat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I have noticed that we have a variety of options in terms of pain board choices. I have matched at an ACGME-accredited program and know that I am early, but which board(s) do you recommend for us to take - ie. for insurances/consideration of an academic position/hospital accreditation? ABA, ABMS, ASIPP, am I missing a board and is there even an important difference/are they the same thing?

Also, is it possible to take the boards during the pain fellowship (rather than after completion of the fellowship)? I am currently board-certified in my primary specialty. Thanks - this message board has been very informative for me, and I appreciate your advice!

Members don't see this ad.

You need to take the ABA pain board through the appropriate ABMS (ABA, ABPMR, ABPN, etc) board for you. You don't need to worry about any other boards.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the response. So that would make it the ABA pain board through ABPN, in my case.

Members don't see this ad :)
So let's say you're a neurologist in an accredited pain fellowship. You would take the ABA pain board through the ABPN?

Yes, here's the link: http://www.abpn.com/become-certified/taking-a-subspecialty-exam/pain-medicine/. I guess that we'll apply after November 2016 and take it in September 2017. ("All candidates applying or reapplying for certification in pain medicine must complete 12 months of ACGME-accredited training in pain medicine. Training must be completed by July 31 of the year of the examination.")

Last edited:
Just fyi, the deadline for applying to the ABA pain board exam is different for anesthesiologists vs. PM&R applicants - so don't rely on your anesthesia colleagues for timeline. I know some people who got screwed over by that.

When do newly graduated fellows typically take the pain boards, 6 months after graduation or thereabouts?