Which pharmacy schools offer residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RXGeneration

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in doing residency and would like to know which schools offer it? Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

very interesting that there's no response.

There's probably a lot, plus there are residencies offered in places not associated with a university. It would be a ridiculously long list.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most residencies are offered at hospitals, rather than universities. If it's offered in a universities than that school has a teaching hospital. I guess your question wasn't answered because people don't know where to start :laugh: It's like asking "Which radio channel should I turn in to watch South Park?"

PS. Are you even in pharmacy school yet? If you're not, then it's way way way to early to ask about residencies.

When I read your thread title, I thought you were asking which state pharmacy schools allow you to establish residency for in-state tuition. Maybe that's why you didn't get a lot of responses. Anyway you can search online for residencies. It seems like there are quite a lot, although I guess there are more applicants than positions.

I am interested in doing residency and would like to know which schools offer it? Thank you!!

Hey there, many schools offer residency programs. I know for sure that Midwestern University-Chicago and Mercer University (Atlanta) have the programs. There are also other schools that offer residency to their pharm grads. However, you have to be very competitive to get in. Your gpa has to be pretty good. I heard if you don't get at least a 3.0 in pharmacy school, you basically will have no chance of getting residency. But the higher your gpa, the better. You will also be interviewed by the committee.

And not all schools that offer a residency program have their own teaching hospital. But they do have an agreement with the hospitals to place their new graduates into residency. I hope this information helps.

very interesting that there's no response.

Get used to searching for your own information if you want to do a residency. Sorry, but I do not have the time to research every school/hospital/other that offers Post-PharmD residency training.

Residencies are something YOU do on YOUR own POST graduation.

Residencies are something YOU do on YOUR own POST graduation.

That is not true. Some schools do offer residency programs. Check out Midwestern-CCP. They have many different residency progarams from community pharmacy to ambulatory care and infectious diseases, etc. The residents actually get to work with the MWU faculty. Please don't give others the wrong information.

That is not true. Some schools do offer residency programs. Check out Midwestern-CCP. They have many different residency progarams from community pharmacy to ambulatory care and infectious diseases, etc. The residents actually get to work with the MWU faculty. Please don't give others the wrong information.

Don't reprimand me, pall.

What I said is completely true. Sure, residencies can be affiliated with a school....but being a student at the school does not guarantee anything.

Don't reprimand me, pall.

What I said is completely true. Sure, residencies can be affiliated with a school....but being a student at the school does not guarantee anything.

Did I say being a student guaranteed anything? Now, you're putting words in my mouth. You can be a PharmD grad from any accredited school and apply to the residency program. The person who posted the question was simply asking which school offered a residency program, and I answered just that. You didn't even answer the question, Pal. The way you answered that question would make people believe that there was no pharmacy school that offered a residency program. UB has residency programs. Why didn't you just say that?

To clarify my post, I wanted to know which schools offer residency programs. I know that not all pharmacy schools offer such programs. Thank you those that took the time to answer my question as well as those that just responded. I figure some in here already did the research and would be glad to share the info. I know I would.

but do students from that school (ie MWU-CCP) students get preference into their own school's residency program?

To clarify my post, I wanted to know which schools offer residency programs. I know that not all pharmacy schools offer such programs. Thank you those that took the time to answer my question as well as those that just responded. I figure some in here already did the research and would be glad to share the info. I know I would.

Once again, I dont think you understand what residency is. When you're a resident, you're learning and working at the same time. Therefore, if a school offers residency, it must have its own facilities for you to work at. However, the fact is that most schools do NOT have those facilities (yes, there are a few like UCSF and Midwestern that do, but most don't). Most residency programs are offered at hospitals, which are not affiliated with any pharmacy schools at all. If you're applying just to those schools that have residencies, your options are extremely limited. The website that you want to look at is that of the ASHP. They have a list of programs in the nation.

but do students from that school (ie MWU-CCP) students get preference into their own school's residency program?

Hi. I'm not sure, but I don't think so. As long as you have a PharmD and a license to practice in the state you are considering residency, you will be fine. They don't have that many positions available. Therefore, it's very competitive. You need a high GPA, strong LORs, a good interview, etc.

Thank you Pharmtastic for the ASHP website.