Which pre-req classes to take for new MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wanton_Chimichanga

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My situation is a bit strange. In Fall 2016, I will be in a BA/MD program with provisional acceptance to its medical school as long as I keep 3.7 + GPA and an MCAT score higher than the average scores of the school's acceptances (i don't know what that average would be . . .).

I don't want to overload myself with work, and the medical school in question only requires:
= 2 semesters of each of these: Gen Chem, O Chem, Physics, & English
= 1 semester of each: General Biology/Zoology with lab, & __?__ (Genetics, Cellular Bio, OR Molecular Biology)
= total 3 semesters of any combo of these: Sociology, Philosophy, & Psychology

Biochemistry is not required, but 1 semester is recommended. I'm considering not taking Biochem.

I want to ensure 4.0 GPA by taking a lighter load, which will give me more time to study for MCAT.
Should I take Genetics, Cell. Bio, or Molecular bio to best prepare for MCAT? And can I prepare well for the biochemistry sections on MCAT relying only on prep books? Lastly, should I take a physiology course at my school?

A million thanks for reading and, if you don't mind, please help this super confused newcomer!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi @Wanton_Chimichanga

Genetics would help for the MCAT, but is not a must take class to prepare for the MCAT. Some of genetics will be a review of the things you learned in your intro to Biology class. You can definitely prepare for the Biochemistry part of the MCAT without taking Biochemistry at your college/university. If you have taken intro to Biology, Genetics, Human Physiology, Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Physics, and Psychology I think that is more than enough to prepare you for the MCAT. For most of those class there will be more information than what you need to do well on the MCAT.

With so many subjects tested on the MCAT just about every student will see something completely new to them when they start studying for the MCAT. The goal should be to take many of the classes I listed above and have most of the MCAT be a review of things you have already learned and just learn the little extra that you have not seen before.

Hope that helps and good luck with applying to medical school! :)

Reactions: 1 user