Which Pre Reqs to take before the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RSR_97

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I just decided i want to go to medical school i am about to start my freshman year semester 2.

To those who have taken the MCAT which pre reqs do you think i should take before the mcat exam, these are the lists of recommended courses to take :

BIOL 213/Cell Biology
BIOL 311/Genetics
Biochemistry 1 semester
General Chemistry 2 semesters Level 1 and 2
Organic Chemistry 2 semesters Level 1 and 2
College Physics 2 semesters Level 1 and 2

Obviously i cant finish all of them before the MCAT Exam, so which ones should i take before the MCAT that will help me?

Also when should i take the MCAT?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you are taking it junior year spring, which I believe is the normal time for non-gap year folks, then you should probably have taken the following:

Intro bio stuff (depends on how your specific school does intro/gen bio courses
Gen chem 1 + 2
Orgo 1 + 2
Physics 1 + 2
Biochem (covered on MCAT but some people tell me its possible to do well on that section by self-studying/learning that portion before taking the class?)
English courses + Socio/Psych if possible

So pretty much all your requirements haha. Not sure about genetics or microbio or cell bio or any other higher level bios you take and how they help. I am a sophomore but thats what I have been told so far. Maybe someone else more experienced has more input?

If you are taking it junior year spring, which I believe is the normal time for non-gap year folks, then you should probably have taken the following:

Intro bio stuff (depends on how your specific school does intro/gen bio courses
Gen chem 1 + 2
Orgo 1 + 2
Physics 1 + 2
Biochem (covered on MCAT but some people tell me its possible to do well on that section by self-studying/learning that portion before taking the class?)
English courses + Socio/Psych if possible

So pretty much all your requirements haha. Not sure about genetics or microbio or cell bio or any other higher level bios you take and how they help. I am a sophomore but thats what I have been told so far. Maybe someone else more experienced has more input?

Im looking to stay local and there are 4 med schools near me and they all say i can substitute a orgo chem 2 with Biochemistry

Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming you have had General Biology, concentrate on all the chemistry, biochem and physics. There is no reason to take the MCAT before you are ready. Don't rush. Also, try to fit psych in, though plenty of people self studied. I was glad to have studied it before content review.

Im looking to stay local and there are 4 med schools near me and they all say i can substitute a orgo chem 2 with Biochemistry

Wait do you mean in terms of requirements for admission to the medical school(s) or are you referring to getting in biochem before orgo 2 for MCAT purposes? Because regardless of what those 4 med schools say, I strongly urge you to take Orgo 2 (although its like 3X harder than Orgo 1 at my school and it starts this spring :( ) because in the end, it will ensure that you don't limit yourself to ONLY applying to med schools with the 1 orgo semester requirement or whatever. The way I see it, also the way I am doing it, is that I am trying to complete requirements to ensure that I limit my options as little as possible.

I agree, orgo 2 is something you want to take. It would severely limit the amount of medical schools you can look into if you do not take it.

I feel unqualified to comment since I took the test in 2014, I don't even know what the current MCAT is out of

Hi Everyone,

I just decided i want to go to medical school i am about to start my freshman year semester 2.

To those who have taken the MCAT which pre reqs do you think i should take before the mcat exam, these are the lists of recommended courses to take :

BIOL 213/Cell Biology
BIOL 311/Genetics
Biochemistry 1 semester
General Chemistry 2 semesters Level 1 and 2
Organic Chemistry 2 semesters Level 1 and 2
College Physics 2 semesters Level 1 and 2

Obviously i cant finish all of them before the MCAT Exam, so which ones should i take before the MCAT that will help me?

Also when should i take the MCAT?

Thanks

all of them. take it when you're ready. make sure you really know your biochem and physics.