Which program you think would be more rewarding?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wannabe_successful

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've geared my academic career towards medical school, having completed a BA in psyc last December. I'm currently taking organic chem, stats, & calc/DIY post bacc until I start my official one at Charles Drew in Aug (if I have enough under grad loans left). Need sGPA reconstruction, but I was aiming towards Caribbean medical schools. I know y'all are against them, but do you think being an IMG is more rewarding than completing a PsyD at a for profit psychology institution like Alliant or Chicago School of Professional Psyc (not truly passionate about psychology, but I need to do something for a career that I'd feel socioeconomically proud of)....mind you, I've done shadowing in healthcare (MD, DO, PA) and got clinical experience as a CNA...I need to start a program next fall, which is why I'm considering Caribbean because I need a career asap so I can have my child support established and financialized, in addition to me being happy about my life without the regret of not trying medicine. I know about DO and grade replacement and all that, but premed at my school had GPAs above 3.2 and didn't even get an interview, so I don't want to waste my limited funds on that presently, and if I don't match as an IMG, at least I can get my student loans forgiven working for the government again as a CNA (potentially/desirably something more prestigious and financially rewarding).

Members don't see this ad.

Your plan....doesn't seem logical. Please stop and re-evaluate what you're thinking about, especially if you have a child.

if I don't match as an IMG, at least I can get my student loans forgiven working for the government again as a CNA (potentially/desirably something more prestigious and financially rewarding).
No. You don't match, you have $100s of K of debt. But I wish you luck with your career exploration and remember, it is better to take a long time on a well thought out plan then rush into a mess.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your plan....doesn't seem logical. Please stop and re-evaluate what you're thinking about, especially if you have a child.
My plan is finishing medical school, having worked hard for a great USMLE scores and obtaining LORs like I've done over the years to get to where I am now, and have faith in God to match a residency like I had faith from the beginning. Didn't take what I needed to get into college in high school, nor the SAT, yet I have a bachelors degree now (1st in my family). I also touched base with community IM programs in my home state to find out how they feel about IMGs and got no negative responses, as I'm from the community where deficiencies are in terms of available physicians. My only question was which degree you think would be worth the investment with my circumstance, as PsyD is a plan B.

No. You don't match, you have $100s of K of debt. But I wish you luck with your career exploration and remember, it is better to take a long time on a well thought out plan then rush into a mess.
I've been doing research for months that I didn't bother elaborating on in this thread. Trust me, there's a plan. I just wanna know which degree seems more rewarding to you guys. No one is answering the question....

I've been doing research for months that I didn't bother elaborating on in this thread. Trust me, there's a plan. I just wanna know which degree seems more rewarding to you guys. No one is answering the question....
You probably researched PSLF, which will likely have a cap on how much could be forgiven in the future.

To answer your question: No one can decide for you which career is most rewarding. Being an IMG who doesn't match is not rewarding at all, but if you do match you may have a rewarding career if medicine is what you actually want to do. Doing psych when you don't think you enjoy the field will not be rewarding.

Reactions: 1 user
Take the time to work on getting in a US medical school. Remember that Caribbeans med school don't give refunds.

You probably researched PSLF, which will likely have a cap on how much could be forgiven in the future.

To answer your question: No one can decide for you which career is most rewarding. Being an IMG who doesn't match is not rewarding at all, but if you do match you may have a rewarding career if medicine is what you actually want to do. Doing psych when you don't think you enjoy the field will not be rewarding.
I'll take heed to that. Thanks for the response.

Status
Not open for further replies.