MD Which reach schools should I eliminate from my list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M.MD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alternative thread title: Do I even stand a chance at a top 25? Top 10?

I am currently applying to 34 schools, 8 of which I would consider "reach" schools for my stats. I'd like to whittle that number down a bit, so I'm wondering if I could get some feedback. I have a ~3.80 GPA and a balanced 33 MCAT. Research heavy ECs, but I do touch all the bases (although most are somewhat cookie cutter). What's "unique" about my story is that I'm a military brat, so most of my childhood was spent abroad in different countries. All the interaction with different people and cultures is part of my inspiration for becoming a doctor, so I tied that heavily into my PS. I'm not disadvantaged, nor am I URM. I'm a CA resident.

Here are the reach schools:
  • Mayo (pretty much a dream for me, can't take this off)
  • Harvard (same as above)
  • Emory
  • Baylor
  • UCSF (reapplicant, changed a ton with my app so I think I have a shot)
  • Duke
  • Pitt
  • Vanderbilt
  • NYU
  • Dartmouth
Thanks for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

Cut UCSF and Duke (I'd recommend Harvard as well).

Members don't see this ad :)
Cut Harvard and UCSF ASAP. To be honest, I'll admit that I originally had like Stanford and UCSF in my list, but I had to face reality...haha

Keep Mayo, though. Mayo is a lot more receptive to diversity from what I've heard. Being the military brat definitely serves you well in the sense that your experiences are unique. Your MCAT is solid, and I'd keep the rest. You have solid shots at Duke and Dartmouth, assuming you get in an interview. If you can sell your military life super well, I see your background giving you a big bump.

Keep Mayo and Dartmouth. Mayo is all about your EC's and your stats are within their range. Keep UCSF because you're a CA resident. Cut Duke, Harvard, and maybe Vandy.

Cut all except Dartmouth. Your 33 is the median score but well below avg for your list. Aim for low and some mid-tiers

Here are the reach schools:
  • Mayo (pretty much a dream for me, can't take this off)
  • Harvard (same as above)
  • Emory
  • Baylor
  • UCSF (reapplicant, changed a ton with my app so I think I have a shot)
  • Duke
  • Pitt
  • Vanderbilt
  • NYU
  • Dartmouth

Secondaries are a tax on the hopelessly unrealistic or naïve.
I did get a secondary from UCSF (and all the other UCs too).

Reactions: 1 users