which recruiters do you recommend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supertrooper85

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am about to begin my job search process and i am not sure how to choose a recruiting company , there are so many of them . i would appreciate if someone can recommend a recruiter who is good and will be helpful , i put my profile on doccafe and i m bombarded with emails for locations that i did not even select in my sign up,

Members don't see this ad.

I would start off deciding where you want a job and looking at APA job central to see what is listed there. I have also seen a lot of jobs on practicelink website. But if you know where you want to work and what type of work you want to do (inpatient, outpatient, etc) I would just contact the site and ask for the medical director. Express your interest and ask if they have any openings. Many places want to hire more psychiatrists but are not advertising.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you know what town or city you want to work in, call the human resources department of whatever hospital/clinic you want to work at and ask if they are hiring psychiatrists and you are one. Another option is just calling or emailing the chief of the department and introducing yourself. Ballsy, I know, but it works for me.
Why give recruiters $$ that should go in your pocket? I understand the benefits of using a recruiter for locums somewhat.

edit: Looks like heyjack beat me to the punch again, lol. I concur, doctor.

Reactions: 1 user
If you know what town or city you want to work in, call the human resources department of whatever hospital/clinic you want to work at and ask if they are hiring psychiatrists and you are one. Another option is just calling or emailing the chief of the department and introducing yourself. Ballsy, I know, but it works for me.
Why give recruiters $$ that should go in your pocket? I understand the benefits of using a recruiter for locums somewhat.

edit: Looks like heyjack beat me to the punch again, lol. I concur, doctor.
Agreed. IMO calling the department chief is exactly what you should do. If the chief didn't want to be called by another doctor directly, or was somehow upset about not going through HR, I probably wouldn't want to work with him/her anyway.

Sometimes recruiters are aware of positions that aren't even posted as they are in close contact with health care organizations.

I still get phone calls and spam from recruiters every day two years after I started my job search. I posted it on my profile on careermd like an idiot, and it is impossible to remove. Learn from my mistake. Guard it like your ATM PIN.

Recruiters by definition specialize in hiring folks for positions employers can't fill. Sometimes it is due to undesirable locale but often it's a toxic environment or position. I would avoid recruiters if you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recruiters by definition specialize in hiring folks for positions employers can't fill. Sometimes it is due to undesirable locale but often it's a toxic environment or position. I would avoid recruiters if you can.

When there's a shortage of 10,000 psychiatrists nationwide, it can be assumed just about every psychiatry position is at least somewhat of a challenge to fill.

Yet only a relatively small number of them end up using recruiters. So it's not paranoid to wonder about the ones that do. Again, unless they are in a particularly challenging locale or looking for something highly specific.

thank you everyone. I need a visa so i was hoping it may make my job search easier.

Look in a location you are interested and contact the hospital or clinic entity directly - ask for physician recruitment.

I found my job through Merrit Hawkins. No problems.

There are all kinds of fairly good jobs that have trouble finding psychiatrists. Even poor psychiatrists don’t have problems finding work. Even some good employers are willing to hire so so psychiatrists. The best jobs still seem to go to the better psychiatrists somehow, and these are seldom found or filled using head hunters. It is like real estate right now, it is all demand and no supply. If you are selling a nice house, it is no problem.