Which school has a strong orthopaedics and/or sport PT program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mac_kin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew of a school that is exceptionally strong in orthopaedics and/or sport med PT? I would like to pursue further education (PhD) and want to attend a school that has a strong curriculum and produces the latest research. I'm looking for a strong research environment, ideally with great technology, nice laboratory spaces, strong faculty, and ties to community groups (athletes, hospitals) that would allow for ease of participant recruitment.

If anyone knows of any such school with a strong program and producing lots of published and acclaimed research please let me know! Location is not important!

Also, if you have personal experience working with researches in these fields at your school, please reply or send me a private message if you like and don't mind answering a few more detailed questions!

thanks so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

Also, I do realize that it is about the particular professor with whom I would like to work, however, I would like to know if anyone can recommend someone exceptional or a great school, so that I could look into all available options.

Dr. Snyder-Mackler at the University of Delaware. PM me if you need more information.

Members don't see this ad :)
Duke man. I interviewed there earlier and it is a very sports centered program in many ways. They have two labs with new technology specifically for atheletes called the motion lab and K-lab. Plus the school is very passionate about its sports teams as well. I believe Dr. Eric Hegedus heads up one of the sports med program there so that'd be a place to check out.

does it matter what PT school you go to to get into a sports PT residency or fellowship after graduating?

Also, I do realize that it is about the particular professor with whom I would like to work, however, I would like to know if anyone can recommend someone exceptional or a great school, so that I could look into all available options.
pitt is pretty bigtime is sports as well from what i understand

does it matter what PT school you go to to get into a sports PT residency or fellowship after graduating?

What matters is your clinical affiliations and background. You need strong clinicals/experience in sports PT to get into sports residencies. That's where your school can come into play. There's only one sports fellowship (at Duke), and you only can apply to it if you have completed a sports residency or are an SCS/ATC.

right, so would going to a more expensive school with a higher ranking increase my chances of getting into the sports PT field over a lower ranked but cheaper school? or would i be better off going to the cheaper school and saving my money?

Cheap or expensive/rank doesn't matter (unless of course you go to a school that has a residency program).

Depends on the school's affiliations and whether you are fortunate to get that clinical. There are no guarantees. If the school you choose doesn't have strong sports clinicals, then you may want to look elsewhere...or research good sports medicine clinics to establish an affiliation for your school.