Which school has the best match rate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MacGyver

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, so maybe we need to restrict this to the "top" schools since some lower tier schools might tend to have more med students who dont care about matching to the big city type residencies.

I think I saw in the old US news last year that Mayo had a 95% match rate for first 3 choices. I think that was the highest listed, although there were several schools (i.e. Harvard, Hopkins, Columbia) that didnt report any data for their match statistics.

For whatever reason, this year US News decided not to report match rate statistics, so looking at the 2004 rankings wont help.

So after all your interviews I'm sure you've heard some data from the schools you've visited.

Members don't see this ad.

The National Residency Matching Program stopped publishing match rate data. So, unless each school goes around and asks all of its students where on their match list they ended up, this information will no longer be available.

Looking at match rate data is fine. Just remember that it is not only a reflection of how the school is perceived by residency directors, but also of the quality of the advising system at that school.

Originally posted by Brewster
The National Residency Matching Program stopped publishing match rate data. So, unless each school goes around and asks all of its students where on their match list they ended up, this information will no longer be available.

Looking at match rate data is fine. Just remember that it is not only a reflection of how the school is perceived by residency directors, but also of the quality of the advising system at that school.

Good point. I know the Hopkins statistic was compiled based on the last time that the NRMP decided to keep track of match rates by med school, so its old by now.

All match rate statistics are going to go by the wayside now that theres no independent confirmation (via NRMP) of it. Instead, you'll just have to look at the match list and try to get some kind of subjective feel for it.