Which school should I choose

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ausmil

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, here is the deal. I am not the strongest candidate for medical school, but I am determined I will get in this coming year. I am a philosophy major, white/hispanic, 3.4 gpa, 26 MCAT. I am also from the state of Utah. I really wanted some good opinions on what schools to apply too. I don't need anyone to tell me how to improve my stats. I am currently working on that. I just want to know which school are best at accepting out of state students, minoritiy students, or diverse majors. If anyone know of these school that fit all or one, please let me know. I am having a hard time finding them. Thank you so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

Ausmil said:
Okay, here is the deal. I am not the strongest candidate for medical school, but I am determined I will get in this coming year. I am a philosophy major, white/hispanic, 3.4 gpa, 26 MCAT. I am also from the state of Utah. I really wanted some good opinions on what schools to apply too. I don't need anyone to tell me how to improve my stats. I am currently working on that. I just want to know which school are best at accepting out of state students, minoritiy students, or diverse majors. If anyone know of these school that fit all or one, please let me know. I am having a hard time finding them. Thank you so much!!

I don't know if Utah has a state school, but if you do, apply there and apply really really early. Are you considered a URM? I hate to bring this up, but the truth is, if you fit into this category, your chances of acceptance just increased dramatically.

I would hit the mid to lower tier schools hard and early; this is assuming that all your ec's and clinical experience, lors are in place. Buy yourself a copy of the MSAR and look at school stats to find out where you're going to be the most competitive at. Shoot for schools that are private or are friendly to oos applicants.

Also, have you thought about DO schools? They tend to be a little more open minded when it comes to lower stats than allopathic schools. Good luck!

Ausmil said:
I really wanted some good opinions on what schools to apply too.

This is one of those things you'd be better off researching (at least initially) on your own. It really depends on what *you* want. Do you want to stay in-state? Do you want to move halfway across the country? Do you want schools in big towns, or in small towns? Are you into research, or primary care? Etc. etc. We can all offer suggestions, but in the end, they're based on our own answers to the questions I just posed, plus many more.

Not knowing what you want out of a med school is what leads people to apply to a dozen schools they don't care about, eleven of which they end up withdrawing from (after spending $75 x 12 secondaries + $30 x 12 primaries) because they wouldn't go to most of those schools if guns were held to their heads. Decide for yourself what you want out of a med school, and where you want to go. Then start looking for schools that fit your requirements.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ausmil said:

What makes you think you won't get into Utah? Have you talked to Sunny Gibson in the office of multi cultural affairs? She is a tremendous asset to students in your boat.

MSAR. Buy one. They are wonnnnnnnnnnnnderful.
As far as other schools that like minority kids, I'd say UCLA is very much a proponent of that. They're huge on "diversity" of all kinds, and not just ethnic so your major may be a plus there too. Problem for you is OOS tuition and your MCAT for them. . . other schools - maybe Wake Forest? I hear that they have a special program for "less competitive" applicants where you go there for a year and do post-bac studies, and get accepted to the medical school the next year. Could be wrong, though. . .
Other than that, pretty much ALL schools like the URMs. That won't be hurting you at all.
Good luck!

I'm from utah as well, with a little higher stats, but not much. I had good success with Drexel, St. louis U, NY medical college, and tulane. Especially SLU, the day I interviewed there were like 10 other people from utah there. A couple from USU, some from Weber, BYU, and the U. Boston U. gave me some love, but I haven't been accepted, they are a little bit more stat conscious. I think Med college of Wisc is a good option as well. Or if you are determined to be an MD, try North dakota as well, I have a cousin with lower stats than you and not much EC's that got in up there. You have to be in ND for 4 years though. I would apply to any Uof Cal's schools they have terrible rates for out of states apps especially low scores even if you are an URM. Creighton I hear is pretty good as well, but I didn't get any love from them. That was my experience this year. Good luck its a long process, and apply as early as possible like June. It helps more than you can possibly imagine.
thats my 2 cents