Which schools are pass/fail?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RexKD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which medical schools are pass/fail?

The only one I know offhand is UCSF.

Would these pass/fail grades extend through all 4 years or just the pre-clinical years?

Thanks

Rex

Members don't see this ad.

Stanford's P/F all 4 years, no AOA.

One caveat- residency program directors have only board scores to rely on, so Step I becomes much more important in your residency application.

Members don't see this ad :)
AECOM is p/f the first two years

At the schools that have pass fail for the first two years, how many hours per week to you have non-science classes. Ay my school we have LOADS of clinical skills lectures and mentoring, professionalism classes, Evidence Based Medicne classes, Law and Medicine crap, etc. I think that we have at least 5 hours per week of such required events in addition to our GRADED science classes. With all of those classes that aren't actually board related classes, it would be nice to have pass fail for the first two years. Can we start making a breakdown of your class time distribution at both gradded and pass/fail schools?

I'll start:
1st Two years:
17 hours/ week real Med School Classes: Graded
4 hours/ week BullShi+ Classes: Pass/Fail
4 hours/ week Clinical Experience: Pass/Fail
Average Step 1 Board Score from my School= National Average

Anyone willing to add anything?

UCONN is pass/fail and has no AOA

MU (University of Missouri) is pass/fail first year. HP/pass/fail second.

UCLA is pass/fail all 4 years, although it is possible to get a "letter of distinction" (which is like getting honors) for any 8-week block in years 1 & 2 or for any clinical rotation in years 3 & 4.

Baylor is pass/fail

RexKD said:
Which medical schools are pass/fail?

The only one I know offhand is UCSF.

Would these pass/fail grades extend through all 4 years or just the pre-clinical years?

Thanks

Rex

Wayne State (WSU-SOM) is honors/pass/fail - at least for the first two years (and I think for all four)

UC Davis is P/F first 2 years, and H/P/F during the cliical years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Eastern Virginia Medical School is honors/high pass/pass/fail all 4 years, which basically translates to a regular grading system. We do have AOA.

OSUdoc08 said:
Baylor is pass/fail

baylor is not pass/fail.

case western is pass/fail.

yale is pass/pass.

I applied to about 12 schools, and as I recall, they were all P/F or P/F/H. It's only on SDN that I've heard of A/B/C/D/F schools. Aren't they the exception rather than the rule these days?

U of Minnesota is P/F for pre-clinical years, but the have some sort of honors distinction for the top 20% of the class. I don't recall how it works in the last two years though...

gschl1234 said:
I applied to about 12 schools, and as I recall, they were all P/F or P/F/H. It's only on SDN that I've heard of A/B/C/D/F schools. Aren't they the exception rather than the rule these days?

probably. and i go to one.

gschl1234 said:

My school has a few P/F classes, but all of our basic sciences and clinical rotations dole out letter grades.

Vanderbilt is P/F the first year and H/P/F the following 3 years.

UNC is P/F (at least for the first 2 years).

Michigan State

Cornell:

1st two years: H/P/F
3rd & 4th Years (from what I can gather): H/HP/P/M/F

We do have AOA.

-Ice

margerita said:

actually, UNC is only P/F for the first year...

Howard is H/P/F for at least the first 2 years.

sunkists said:
baylor is not pass/fail.

yale is pass/pass.

I wonder why they would have lied to me during their curriculum overview while I was interviewing at Baylor?

:confused:

Do Y'all Think Pass/fail Affects Getting Into Residency? Does Anyone Know If Mercer Has Aoa Or Any Sort Of Ranking Throughout The 4 Years?

EVMSPeds said:
Eastern Virginia Medical School is honors/high pass/pass/fail all 4 years, which basically translates to a regular grading system. We do have AOA.

I do like the idea of Pass/Fail system. However, EVMS Is Honors (top 10%), High Pass (Top 30%), Pass, Fail. Lets you stand out and I love it!

OSUdoc08 said:
I wonder why they would have lied to me during their curriculum overview while I was interviewing at Baylor?

:confused:

I am no expert, but I think Baylor had first semester P/F then they have the Honors, etc. Pass system. Rumor mill, and correct me if I am wrong, with the clas of 2008 they did away with the early first semester of P/F because of a drop in board scores. Now the board score thing is rumor, but I think the doing away with the first semester is P/F only is correct.

triciatmd said:
Do Y'all Think Pass/fail Affects Getting Into Residency? Does Anyone Know If Mercer Has Aoa Or Any Sort Of Ranking Throughout The 4 Years?

P/F schools usually have Senior AOA instead of Junior AOA

northwestern is pass/fail for years 1 and 2....its all about the negative 2 standard devs baby.

margerita said:

and Vandy is only H/P/F for 2nd year...they are H/HP/P/F for yrs 3,4.

BU is
P/MP/F for M1 (and if you get 2 or fewer MPs they will be automatically changed to Ps i.e. no retakes)
H/P/MP/F for M2
H/HP/P/MP/F for M3 and M4

The first year is pass/fail only because people have varying course loads due to master's programs, integrated programs, 7 year programs, etc.

McGill is P/F for the basic sciences, then the fun begins on the wards...

noncestvrai

Anyone else think the grading schemes are misleading.
H/P/F=A,C,F
H/HP/P/M/F=A,B,C,D,F

other than just P/F...it seems like they are just trying to make it not seem as competitive.

sunkists said:
baylor is not pass/fail.

yale is pass/pass.
mmm i should go to yale
pass/pass you say ;)

margerita said:

i thought unc was just p/f first year...

pitt is p/f/h preclinical
tulane is basically a-f wit pass names
uva is p/f preclinical wit honors award to like top 20% after the fact
wake is 0-3

University of Virginia (UVA)
P/F for the first two years...after the first two years, they award the top 20% of the class for the first two years performance "pass with honors"

BrettBatchelor said:
Anyone else think the grading schemes are misleading.
H/P/F=A,C,F
H/HP/P/M/F=A,B,C,D,F

other than just P/F...it seems like they are just trying to make it not seem as competitive.

I'm with you -- even where there is just P/F, there is often some form of ranking or percentile system. Seems to me to be just a shallow ruse to make the gunners less apt to screw over their classmates. (An admirable goal, but does it actually work or is it just illusory???) Thus I'm not sure I would buy the hype and use P/F as a strong criterion on which to base my med school choice.