Which Schools Are True Pass/Fail?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qszwdxefc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering which medical schools use a true, unranked P/F system (as in marks and class rankings won't show up on your transcript). Tried searching around but everything was either in bits and pieces or led to https://www.aamc.org/initiatives/medaps/curriculumreports/ which doesn't currently have any data.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Most P/F programs rank you, you're just not privy to that info until 4th year.
This is my understanding, too. They have to rank you in order to write your dean's letter for residency apps, right?

The school I'm going to attend (Texas Tech-El Paso) has true Pass/Fail for the first two years. The third and fourth years have Honors, High Pass, Pass, and Fail (looks a lot like letter grades).

This is my understanding, too. They have to rank you in order to write your dean's letter for residency apps, right?

The school I'm going to attend (Texas Tech-El Paso) has true Pass/Fail for the first two years. The third and fourth years have Honors, High Pass, Pass, and Fail (looks a lot like letter grades).
I'll be attending a school with a similar set-up as well. My understanding, though I could be wrong, has been that although you'll only know if you and your classmates passed or failed actual percentages are kept track-of by profs. for the Dean's Letters and AOA.

Just wondering which medical schools use a true, unranked P/F system. Tried searching around but everything was either in bits and pieces or led to https://www.aamc.org/initiatives/medaps/curriculumreports/ which doesn't currently have any data.

Thanks.
UMASS Medical School is true P/F for the first two years. They keep a ranking only for AOA determination, then they destroy the ranking. There is no ranking sent out on residency applications.

Ah interesting. I guess what I meant by true pass/fail was that on your transcript there is no indication of your numeric mark or class rank.

Anyone know what schools have this sort of pass/fail?

Stanford is true PF for the first two years. No grades in core classes (you can take graded electives if you want at the University as a whole, but I think everyone just takes them pass fail unless they are trying to get an MS or something). There are no transcript grades and no ranking, No AOA at all at the school.

Clerkships are pass and honors.

The deans letter tries very hard not to rank students, for better or worse.

Reactions: 1 users
IIRC Penn doesn't rank you for clinical rotations... they simply give a written evaluation at the end. After all the haggling and subjectivity of getting "honors, excellent, good, etc" in the 3rd year, I would have killed for that. At least if you're going to be ranked on your test scores, you're being graded objectively and you only have your self to credit/blame rather than relying on what some catty ObGyn thinks of your "enthusiasm."

I once asked one of my deans why we didn't do that, the indirect awkward answer I got was essentially "Penn has Penn's reputation and can get away with that. We can't."

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Columbia does not rank ever and is true p/f during pre-clinicals. The closest thing that they do to ranking you is sending the average classes performance (how many honored, high passed, etc for each rotation).

Btw, things may have changed since I applied way back when, but if you're really not into ranking, stay as far away from Wayne State as you can.

UMASS Medical School is true P/F for the first two years. They keep a ranking only for AOA determination, then they destroy the ranking. There is no ranking sent out on residency applications.

From what I was told by several MS1s at UMass, there is no ranking at all until MS3 rotations, making it a truly P/NP grading system. AOA is determined by step scores and clinical evaluations/shelf exams.

Could be wrong though.

Reactions: 1 user