Which schools should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

globy123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I need some advice on which MD schools I have a chance of getting in.
I did a double major, honors bachelor of science.
Freshmen GPA: 2.5
Sophmore GPA: 2.6
Junior GPA: 3.3
Senior GPA: 3.6
I also have a graduate degree (Master of Science, thesis based) with a GPA of 3.7

Members don't see this ad.

Wouls be really realy hard to say without a cumulative undergraduate GPA, MCAT or ECs.

Wouls be really realy hard to say without a cumulative undergraduate GPA, MCAT or ECs.

Cumulative GPA: 2.9...I was working over 20 hours per week during Freshmen and Sophomore years.
MCAT: waiting for scores..I was scoring 32 on practice exams..predicting a score ~30.
Received undergrad scholarship
Received graduate scholarship
Attended several conferences during graduate degree, presented poster presentations at various research days.
Research paper being published for my thesis.
Teaching assistant.
Worked as research assistant at the hospital.
Volunteered at hospital
Shadowed a doctor.
Volunteered in refugee camp.
Books for Africa volunteer.
Play and coach soccer.
Dean's Honor Roll in senior year.
Tutored students.
Volunteered at food bank.
Worked various jobs providing technical support over the phone, customer service in the store.
Read, speak, and write 2 languages.

Any advice on which MD schools I have a chance of getting in?

Members don't see this ad :)
Chances are 0 at any MD school despite the rising trend, which really is a B+ and should have been all As.

I think you'd even have troulbe with most DO programs. You would be autorjected at mine.

Suggest doing post-bac/SMP, or, at least re-taking all F/D/C coursework to take advantage of AACOMAS grade replacement policy.

Cumulative GPA: 2.9...I was working over 20 hours per week during Freshmen and Sophomore years.
MCAT: waiting for scores..I was scoring 32 on practice exams..predicting a score ~30.
Received undergrad scholarship
Received graduate scholarship
Attended several conferences during graduate degree, presented poster presentations at various research days.
Research paper being published for my thesis.
Teaching assistant.
Worked as research assistant at the hospital.
Volunteered at hospital
Shadowed a doctor.
Volunteered in refugee camp.
Books for Africa volunteer.
Play and coach soccer.
Dean's Honor Roll in senior year.
Tutored students.
Volunteered at food bank.
Worked various jobs providing technical support over the phone, customer service in the store.
Read, speak, and write 2 languages.

Any advice on which MD schools I have a chance of getting in?

Chances are 0 at any MD school despite the rising trend, which really is a B+ and should have been all As.

I think you'd even have troulbe with most DO programs. You would be autorjected at mine.

Suggest doing post-bac/SMP, or, at least re-taking all F/D/C coursework to take advantage of AACOMAS grade replacement policy.

Can you explain what you mean by "despite the rising trend"?
Do any of the MD medical schools have grade replacement policy?
What does SMP stand for?

Can you explain what you mean by "despite the rising trend"?
Do any of the MD medical schools have grade replacement policy?
What does SMP stand for?

Despite the fact that your grades improved over the course of your undergraduate years
No.
Special Masters Programs...basically, you pay med school tuition rates to take a year of med school courses, and IF you get really good grades (all As, maybe some Bs) you have a much better shot of getting into med school. Some have linkage, which means you are almost guaranteed a spot if you succeed at the SMP. Of course, you have to apply just to get in to the SMP, and you probably want to do some postbacc work to bring your GPA up to a 3.0 before applying, but perhaps not...I'm not an expert on them.