Which section is the worst time crunch for you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pithy84

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Of the three sections (Physical Sciences, Verbal Reasoning, and Biological Sciences), which section do you find the hardest to complete in the allotted time? Where do you feel the crunch?

On the AAMC full-length practice exams, I always found Physical Sciences and Verbal Reasoning to be very tight. Biological Sciences was much more leisurely in pace. Even on my very first practice exam, I finished Bio with time to spare. Even on my very last practice exam, Physical and Verbal were very tight.

If forced to pick one, I would say Physical Sciences is the worst for me. I am slow at arithmetic and algebra, comparatively.

When I actually took the test for real (two days ago), it was a somewhat different story. I freaked out a little bit during Bio, so it was also tight.

Let's also discuss time strategies.

In Physical and Bio, I always answer the discrete questions (the non-passage questions) first. Then I look at each passage for about 20 seconds to determine what it is about. Then I do the easiest passage, then the next easiest, and always save the hardest passage for last.

In Verbal, I always go in order. There are two reasons for this: First, I find it much harder to judge the relative difficulty of the passages, so I don't try. Second, if I am going in order then it is easier to calculate how many minutes per question I have left. A quick mental calculation will tell me if I need to hurry up.

Members don't see this ad.

Calculation heavy Physics Sections and Verbal Reasoning. It's usually due to those problems where the way to solve it is at right at the tip of your tongue, but you can't think of it right away..I just need to tighten up my weak areas here with practice.

I falter in Verbal timing when I have to re-read stuff.

I've gotten more comfortable recently with Verbal timing though... Every once in a while (maybe 1-2x a week), I will force myself to do a couple verbal passages in 12-14 minutes (so like 6-7 min per.) I've been having time left at the end since then. I've also found that skimming the questions first gives my mind a good productive break and helps me re-gain focus before I read.

For every section, I usually go in order... Sometimes I will give my mind a break in between and passages and skip to the late-discretes if I don't feel like taking on another passage yet

I wonder which section will be the worst time crunch on the MCAT 2015, given that the sections are totally different. They didn't just add one, they rearranged all four.