Which sociology course for 2015 MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedlyfe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So in order to prepare for the 2015 MCAT, which sociology course should I take?

1) Intro to Sociology
-Survey of the field of sociology: its basic concepts, theories, and research orientation. Topics include social interaction, socialization, culture, social structure, stratification, political power, deviance, social institutions, and social change.

2) Sociology of Medicine
-The goal is to map out the social terrain of medicine: the health care professions, health care systems, illness, and healing.Employs a historical approach to uncover the evolution of health care in the United States and evaluate how sickness and healing are socially constructed and organized. Explores how competing and changing social institutions have reshaped the social landscape of living and dying.

The description of the psychology/sociology portion on the AAMC site:

Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior

59 items, 95 minutes

This section tests your knowledge and use of the concepts in psychology, sociology, biology, research methods, and statistics that provide a solid foundation for learning in medical school about the behavioral and socio-cultural determinants of health and health outcomes.

Understanding the behavioral and socio-cultural determinants of health is important to the study of medicine. You will be tested on your knowledge of the ways in which psychological, social, and biological factors influence perceptions and reactions to the world; behavior, and behavior change; what people think about themselves and others; the cultural and social differences that influence well-being; and the relationships between social stratification, access to resources, and well-being.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to take Social Psychology. Hopefully, it will cover the necessary info. Honestly, though, from what I've heard from people taking the trial section, the sociology portion will be the least of our worries...

Take the intro class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Intro is just fine, everything you just stated is what our intro class is covering right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What if its a class like criminology, but it's under the sociology department?

I figured any soc class would count.

It's not a matter of "counting", it's a matter of whether or not it covers the material that is tested on the MCAT. Check with an intro sociology professor and another professor from whatever other class you want to take and look at the overlap. Maybe request a syllabus.