which specialty is the most irreplaceable by ai?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amarant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
which medical specialty is the most irreplaceable by ai? psychiatry?
what's going to happen in 2050?

Members don't see this ad.

Psychiatry

My belief is that medical doctors will probably be one of the last professions to be phased out by AI. Basically, by the time we have to worry about any of this most other people would be unemployed and well we will be living in a world where robots do all the work for us.

I also don't think this will happen by 2050. Honestly 2050 is only 30 or so years away if we go back 30 years ago in the 80s, medicine was pretty similar to the way it is practiced today. In fact, few if any specialties have even been phased out, if anything new sub-specialties have emerged.

Things change slowly in the healthcare field, the reason is ethics and patient safety often slow adoption of new technologies in medicine and I believe it will be the same for AI.

Reactions: 1 user
Psychiatry

My belief is that medical doctors will probably be one of the last professions to be phased out by AI. Basically, by the time we have to worry about any of this most other people would be unemployed and well we will be living in a world where robots do all the work for us.

I also don't think this will happen by 2050. Honestly 2050 is only 30 or so years away if we go back 30 years ago in the 80s, medicine was pretty similar to the way it is practiced today. In fact, few if any specialties have even been phased out, if anything new sub-specialties have emerged.

Things change slowly in the healthcare field, the reason is ethics and patient safety often slow adoption of new technologies in medicine and I believe it will be the same for AI.
what about 2100 then? there are robots doing surgery already and i can imagine diagnostics be done by computers and most of the general medicine part where there are algorhitms, scoring systems and guidelines. also, google can diagnose. actually, building an ai that can socialize and leave the impression of empathy shouldn't be totally impossible either, so psychiatry is dubious as well. probably specialties that directly are responible for lives are the last one to go, anesthesiology probably.

Members don't see this ad :)
what about 2100 then? there are robots doing surgery already and i can imagine diagnostics be done by computers and most of the general medicine part where there are algorhitms, scoring systems and guidelines. also, google can diagnose. actually, building an ai that can socialize and leave the impression of empathy shouldn't be totally impossible either, so psychiatry is dubious as well. probably specialties that directly are responible for lives are the last one to go, anesthesiology probably.

Its not as simple as you make it out to be. Robots doing surgery right now is only in a few specific fields and these robots would be absolutely useless without the surgeon using it to operate.

In addition, AI right now as a field is hot in the consumer and manufacturing industries, that is where the investment is, AI and robotics won't be moving towards the healthcare field too soon since healthcare tends to be much more demanding than consumer/manufacturing of perfection, not enough return on investment. Robotic surgery was a hot topic 20 years ago and look at it now, its as hot and well funded of a field as space exploration.

2100, we can't tell honestly medicine might be taken over by then, but like I said by the time AI takes over medicine it took over nearly everything else and most of us humans would be able to live lives free of doing any work.

Also, by 2100 we can all expect to be dead or dying so at least for our lifetimes not a concern.

Reactions: 1 user