which specialty pays highest?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

50Cent

For my economic condition, money is an important factor.

Which surgical specialty pays the most and how much?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Highest total, highest per average hours worked, or high when compared to stress level?

Vent,

I didnt say I wanted to become a surgeon because of the money. I said it was an important factor - as it is for everyone.

Highest paid total please.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Neuro.

Min: $279,655
Max: $713,961
Median: $438,426

Source:
http://www.mycgiserver.com/~naoum/physician_salary.jsp?spec=nu&mature=1&submit=Submit

However, some specialties in private practice, such as derm, in certain areas of the country could make you a millionaire.

Orthopedic Surgery is a close second.
Ortho:

Min: $237,731
Max: $540,524
Median: $346,224

Just keep in mind, most surgeons make in the $200,000/year ballpark. I would think that would be enough. You'll never live like a millionaire does, but you'll live more comfortably than most people ever will.

thank you for the response.

Is there a significant difference in salary between academic and private or hospital settings?

Neuro or Ortho Spine blows away all the specialties in terms of salary 600k-2 mil depending on practice
the only thing that comes clos e is interventional neuroradiology!

Just curious, what areas/type of practice would lend to making a dermatologist upwards of 1mil.? Is it a cosmetic thing, rual vs urban, etc.?

Wow, that s really nice for spine. Pardon my ignorance, but it "seems" like doing ortho/neuro spine would have a fairly decent day-to-day life. Would the call for trauma be pretty bad?

This may seem obvious to the more knowledgable. But with Gamma Knife and other minimally invase techniques, hasn't the role of the neurosurgeon in neurological cases significantly decreased? In that case wont their salaries reduce too?
Finally, is the a siginifcant difference in the salries of academic or private practice/hospital surgeons?

Salary depends on the market. As a general surgeon you could make $300,000 but you'd have to go to a place that reall needs one.

CT Surgeons can still make up to $1 million. Plastic Surgeons who do a lot of Cosmetics can make millions. Even Colorectal Surgeons can make $300,000.

Private practice cosmetic/plastic surgery in a posh suburb will bring in the dough like nothing else. If you also run a "day spa" on the side for bored rich housewives who want facial rejuvinations and botox then you'll pull in more than enough money to keep both your trophy wife and mistress happy.

Concerning dermatology, the numbers just don't add up with what people on these boards say. The mean salary of all dermatologists is 195-225k/year depending on which survey you believe.

If there are as many 400k+ derms as people say, then that neccesitates that there are many derms making < 140k. I don't know what the truth is, but every salary survery I've seen places derm on about the same level as GI, anesthesiology, hem/onc. and general surgery. Derm is almost always below rads, uro, ent, plastics, etc

I guess a lot of it is a lifestlye thing, but path has a similar lifestyle and the path average salaries are pretty close to the derm average salaries(185 vs 210 or so). Why is path one of the least competitive specalties and derm the most competive? And derm is by far the most competitive; it really isn't even close. Perhaps some aura has now developed around derm that causes many good students to associate derm with hyper-competiveness and that leads them into derm. Sort of a "you have to be really good to get derm and I can be really good so that's what I'll go for" mentality.......because really, other fields appear to offer similar lifetsyles(path). Rads offers much more money at the moment and a pretty good lifestyle. And other specialties offer much better compensation, althought poorer lifestyles. I just don't understand why derm is the almost impossible match that it is.....

What is important to realize is that how many hours you work is not the only factor in which part of your specialty's earning bell currve you fall in. Becoming a private practice doctor IS A BUSINESS! If you know how to run a business you will always be in the top of your specialty in earnings.

Become an ortho or whatever
set up shop.
hire good people, make good conections (you depend on referals)
bring in another doctor as your practice grows. Pay him x% of what profit he generates.
continue hireing doctors as you grow your practice.
Sell your equity in the practice to the other memebers and live hapily ever after or rinse and repeat.

Originally posted by meanderson
Concerning dermatology, the numbers just don't add up with what people on these boards say. The mean salary of all dermatologists is 195-225k/year depending on which survey you believe.

If there are as many 400k+ derms as people say, then that neccesitates that there are many derms making < 140k. I don't know what the truth is, but every salary survery I've seen places derm on about the same level as GI, anesthesiology, hem/onc. and general surgery. Derm is almost always below rads, uro, ent, plastics, etc

This assumes that the salary surveys are correct.

"If there are as many 400k+ derms as people say, then that neccesitates that there are many derms making < 140k"

Goober.......Its an average not a median ....a 400K derm oly mean that some # of people collectively must fall 200K short of the average that could be 2 people making 100K (which makes NO sense) or 10 making 180K (Much more likely)

Originally posted by JKDMed
Neuro.
Min: $279,655
Max: $713,961
Median: $438,426

Source:
http://www.mycgiserver.com/~naoum/physician_salary.jsp?spec=nu&mature=1&submit=Submit

However, some specialties in private practice, such as derm, in certain areas of the country could make you a millionaire.

Orthopedic Surgery is a close second.
Ortho:
Min: $237,731
Max: $540,524
Median: $346,224

Do these surveys take into account the total income generated or the net 'take home' salaries ? What with the high malpractice insurance premiums that NSs and GenSurgs have to pay (~$250K a year) in places like Philadelphia and Chicago, the final salaries for these specialities probably take a big cut ....

>>Goober.......Its an average not a median ....a 400K derm oly >>mean that some # of people collectively must fall 200K short of >>the average that could be 2 people making 100K (which makes >>NO sense) or 10 making 180K (Much more likely)

I'm aware of the difference between the two. My main point was that the numbers thrown around on this board don't go along with average salary surveys.

Let's take your example and expand it. In a pool of 100 dermatologists let's say ten make exactly 400k. As you pointed out, that means the average salary of the remaining 90 derms is ~180k. And that's exactly my point- the general attitude on these boards is one far different from a situation in which the great majority of derms hover around 180k.

As for your comment, I'll stand by my estimates. Notice that I said "if there are as *MANY* 400k+ derms as people say"......The general attitude is that there are a good number(at least 20%) of derms that do make 400k. This neccessitates that the other 80% of derms are going to have to collectively average $40,000 less than the overall overage. If 1/3 of the "below $400,000" group collectively makes the average salary, then 55% of all derms would be collectively making 65-70k below the average.

The way the numbers break down depends on the assumptions made, but it's clear that:
- If lots of derms make > 400K, this means the average salary for all "other" is depressed. This doesn't really match what some say about derm being a lucrative field for everyone.
-If there aren't lots of derms making > 400K, this doesn't match what many say about it being "easy to make huge money in derm".

1 of the above 2 must be occurring.

I just don't understand why derm is the almost impossible match that it is.....

Because the absolute numbers of positions are so low. Rad onc is similar (with only about 1/2 as many spots as derm), but a lot more people want derm; I think only 1 person matches for every 5 applicants.

most people choose derm for lifestyle not cash flow...however the cash flow isnt bad asu all know in derm

>Because the absolute numbers of positions are so low. Rad onc >is similar (with only about 1/2 as many spots as derm), but a lot >more people want derm; I think only 1 person matches for every >5 applicants.

But I don't think a low # of positions always equals hyper-competitiveness. Rad-onc was an easy match just 5 years ago. Nuclear medicine can't have that many spots and it's an easy math. Radiology has a bunch of spots and it is a competitive match.

But I don't think a low # of positions always equals hyper-competitiveness.

That's absolutely true, but that is also the crux of the point - it IS so popular now, with people thinking "short hours, long green ($)" - so, with relatively few spots, and a lot of applicants, you see what you get.

Like you say, you couldn't give Rad Onc away years ago, and likewise with Rads, but that's just how it goes - if there's no demand, it doesn't matter what the supply is.

"If there are as many 400k+ derms as people say, then that neccesitates that there are many derms making < 140k. "

This is what you said. As you have said since, NO ONE neccesarily makes <140. But if course, like you say, people must respect the averages and not think that it is easy to bust through those #'s