Which state would you rather be a resident of for Medical School applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Title

• A

Votes: 52 41.6%
  • B

Votes: 73 58.4%

• Total voters

flatearth22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A: A state like West Virginia that has only 1 or 2 medical school but with low admissions standards (3.6/28)

B: A state like New York that has a lot of medical schools but with higher admissions standards (3.7/32)

States like WV would include Arkansas, Mississippi, South Carolina, etc. while states like NY would include Florida, Texas, Illinois, etc.

EDIT: Also assume you're an "average" applicant (3.65/30)

Of course all you genius SDN'ers would chose choice B otherwise....

Members don't see this ad.

Also consider that a lot of NY and IL schools take A LOT of OOS applicants. TX sounds nice since it accepts so many IS applicants vs OOS applicants, but there are a TON of premeds in TX.

I think Ohio gets overlooked a lot. OSU and Cinci do accept a large amount of OOSers, but Toledo, Wright, and NEOUCOM get accept mostly Ohio residents. Also, OUCOM actually discourages OOS applicants by forcing them to sign a 5-year contract to stay in Ohio.

You really have to look at # of in-state applicants per # of seats at schools that are UNFRIENDLY to OOS applicants.

Just FYI some of the states with only one medical school will put a lot of emphasis on what *part* of the state you are from when they consider admissions. (this is particularly true if they have a shortage of doctors in the more rural areas because medical services are concentrated in one or two cities) This might not be true for West Virginia (I don't know anything about the state except that I hate their school's basketball team) but it is true with some of these states.

Members don't see this ad :)
Texas has the best of both worlds. Where was the "Texas" option?

One more reason why Texas is a better country than every other state. :D
dontbejelly

Last edited:
Not sure where you're getting your WVU stats but their averages for last year were 3.8 and 30.
So not only would being a resident in one of these states increase your chances of acceptance, but also you would have very low tuition costs. It's a win-win situation in my book.

And SirGecko for WVU, as long as you are a resident of their state, you will have just as good of a chance as any other in-stater regardless of where you live in WV. They then give priority to applicants from bordering states and/or those who have specific ties to WV. It's a great school, and for those of you who don't mind high tuition costs, is worth considering if you live in a bordering state or have family in WV.

Last edited:

dontbejelly

Mmm. Plenty of schools, cheap tuition, and in-state favoritism.

We need our own application service to handle the awesomeness.

I know of a number of competitive applicants with MCAT scores in the mid-thirties and above who were accepted or waitlisted at very reputable schools including top-tens, but they were not accepted at their own state school. It’s not necessarily as easy as it looks if you belong to a rural state with one med school.

In the absence of other circumstances, my state school is very reluctant to touch an applicant who completed their undergraduate education in another state. If you’re primarily interested in pursuing specialties that don’t include family medicine, that will also work against you. If your MCAT score is a strong aspect of your application at other schools, it will be weakened at my state school. Composite MCAT scores are assigned a value on a 4.0 scale with scores of 30 and above equal to a 4.0. This value is then averaged with your GPA and other scores (I think one of them is a “likelihood to stay in the state” score) and then the adcom members never see your original GPA and MCAT score.

The problem with only having one medical school is that if for some reason you have a poor impression of that school, there are no other options in the state. Then you have to hope that you are competitive enough to be accepted out of state. My state school has a few issues, but I guess it’s not unique in that regard. Every school has a few. The secondary prompts appear to be partially plagiarized from Stanford and the University of Michigan and a guy got swarmed by police and arrested in the medical school library during my morning tour. My tour guide was simultaneously shouting invitations to everyone he saw to a party and explaining to us how the school doesn’t really care how often you fail. I’ve heard from other sources that the administration has been putting pressure on teachers to pass failing students so that's not surprising. Unfortunately the only positive thing that I’ve heard some faculty say about the school is that it’s cheap. Anyhow I don't mean to bash it; I'm sure it has some great qualities.

The application process would probably be easier as a Texas resident.

The application process would probably be easier as a Texas resident.

Honestly, if Baylor and the MD/PhD programs were included in TMDSAS, I think most Texans would have no reason for filling out the AMCAS at all.

Long post, quoted to indicate I am responding to it. Scroll up to see the original post.

The particular state I was thinking about in my post was New Mexico and I definitely experienced issues with the "will stay in state" part. Probably because I am in the Navy and went to undergrad out of state.

dontbejelly

The weather sucks (in the summer) and the snowboarding sucks in Texas - plus the local politicians are totally nuts. Big death penalty state. But, I agree, the options for medical school are pretty fantastic in Texas. Best state in the Union ?- Texas would not get my vote - although my brother lives in Austin and says it is pretty hip and cool.

Members don't see this ad :)
The weather sucks (in the summer) and the snowboarding sucks in Texas - plus the local politicians are totally nuts. Big death penalty state. But, I agree, the options for medical school are pretty fantastic in Texas. Best state in the Union ?- Texas would not get my vote - although my brother lives in Austin and says it is pretty hip and cool.

And you are from....?

And you are from....?

Oregon - yes, a proud Duck, although I am doing my surgical residency on the East Coast. The University of Oregon football team will be playing LSU at Cowboy Stadium in late August to open the season on national tv. Hopefully, the Ducks will be victorious and have another shot at the national title next season. University of Texas football kind of fell on its face last season but that is probably an aberration.

I have great respect for medical education in Texas. But I abhor heat and humidity so Texas summers are definitely not my cup of tea - and snowboarding in Texas just won't cut it since Texas does not have any mountains or snow.

Oregon - yes, a proud Duck, although I am doing my surgical residency on the East Coast. The University of Oregon football team will be playing LSU at Cowboy Stadium in late August to open the season on national tv. Hopefully, the Ducks will be victorious and have another shot at the national title next season. University of Texas football kind of fell on its face last season but that is probably an aberration.

I have great respect for medical education in Texas. But I abhor heat and humidity so Texas summers are definitely not my cup of tea - and snowboarding in Texas just won't cut it since Texas does not have any mountains or snow.

Not happening.

Oh, Oregon...what a great state. :rolleyes:

Texas is such a large state that there are a lot of us who don't like UT. It's not like some states where there's only a choice of two good schools to be a fan of.

dontbejelly
nobody will be sad to see it secede.

besides, only steers and queers come from texas.

The particular state I was thinking about in my post was New Mexico and I definitely experienced issues with the "will stay in state" part. Probably because I am in the Navy and went to undergrad out of state.
Haha yeah I almost quoted your original post when I posted mine, because it seemed strangely applicable to NM.

The problem with only having one medical school is that if for some reason you have a poor impression of that school, there are no other options in the state.

I know the feeling. I'm from Arkansas and UAMS is the only school here, and with my major, I won't even have all the courses required to apply there so I'm stuck paying OOS tuition, assuming I get in.

I think north carolina would be pretty great.

you can go to ECU as a fall back.. and then there's UNC which is pretty great (top20). As an NC resident, your chances of going to Duke for ugrad are pretty high. And if you look at Duke med, almost 30% of their class went to Duke for ugrad..

Oh, Oregon...what a great state. :rolleyes:

Texas is such a large state that there are a lot of us who don't like UT. It's not like some states where there's only a choice of two good schools to be a fan of.
Have you ever been to Oregon? Portland is an amazing city.

I think north carolina would be pretty great.

you can go to ECU as a fall back.. and then there's UNC which is pretty great (top20). As an NC resident, your chances of going to Duke for ugrad are pretty high. And if you look at Duke med, almost 30% of their class went to Duke for ugrad..

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

srsly? I know people who got into UNC/Duke/UVA out right rejected at ECU. If you don't fit their system of wanting to serve eastern/rural north carolina you will not have a good chance getting in.

UNC is a top 20 school and though IS applicants have a good shot at a interview, it's still as tough as any top 20 school to get in to...that's just a fact.

And Duke accepts ~20% IS for their undergrad, so no they aren't "pretty high" chances of getting in in-state

I love being an NC resident but your perception is extremely misconstrued.

I also think NC has a large selection of medical schools (don't forget Wake Forest), but like youneverknow22 said, that doesn't mean you're guaranteed a spot. ECU is still extremely competitive

IMO i think Texas, Ohio, NY, and Penn are the best states for a premed. I am so thankful i do not live in cali.

IMO i think Texas, Ohio, NY, and Penn are the best states for a premed. I am so thankful i do not live in cali.

Californian here.
43a1b023-cb7c-f933.jpg

Gonna be going to medical school in the second best state in the union.

I enjoy that MI kind of has the best of both worlds.

We have UMich as a public school with some (emphasis, SOME) in state preference and in-state tuition while still also being an excellent school known for great research, etc.

And then there's Wayne and Michigan State - still pretty strong schools with a lot of in-state preference and a strong emphasis on candidates that want to remain in MI.

And then there's Oakland, which is private. Not sure how that will really change things, but another med school in the state should be a plus.

Also, great weather. hah. :laugh:

I second Ohio, Texas, and NY. However, Penn????

Penn has no single public school. Every single med school there is a private so there is no school that solely truly favors only in state applicants mostly. I mean to some extent they favor their residents but not like a Fl. school.

Fl is the state I'd add there though that may change since stupid Fl. state law has now allowed out of staters to come to our schools increasing competition. But nonetheless its still better then cali.

I'm from MO, so I've got MU, WashU, and SLU. Though WashU and SLU are private, MU is highly selective for in-state residents. I'd be happy to go there.

New York. The best state. 13 medical schools. GPA ranges from 3.25 (Albany med) to 4. Top public schools, ivies, privates. What state can top that?

I second Ohio, Texas, and NY. However, Penn????

Penn has no single public school. Every single med school there is a private so there is no school that solely truly favors only in state applicants mostly. I mean to some extent they favor their residents but not like a Fl. school.

Fl is the state I'd add there though that may change since stupid Fl. state law has now allowed out of staters to come to our schools increasing competition. But nonetheless its still better then cali.

Though every med school in PA is technically private, schools like Pitt, Penn State, and Temple are universities that are state-related and publicly funded. They also tend to accept more in-state applicants.

Given the strength of our medical school, I'd take my state of Massachusetts. Also, the competition with out-state residents is non-existent as only state residents are accepted for the MD program.

New York. The best state. 13 medical schools. GPA ranges from 3.25 (Albany med) to 4. Top public schools, ivies, privates. What state can top that?

Wow. I didn't realize NY had so many medical schools

Wow. I didn't realize NY had so many medical schools

10% of all MD schools are in NY. Amazing. Plus, GPA and MCAT requirements vary. There are several private schools in NY without in-state preference that have 10th percentiles under 3.5

Though every med school in PA is technically private, schools like Pitt, Penn State, and Temple are universities that are state-related and publicly funded. They also tend to accept more in-state applicants.

And they're all really expensive. I hate Pennsylvania so much.

eh :shrug: . I'm a CA resident and while I'm obviously aware of the competition and difficulty getting in, CA has 7 allopathic schools, each of which I would be so happy to get in. It's sort of like high-stakes poker....risks are higher but the rewards are better.

No we are aware that Cali has good schools and better known schools. But it sucks to be from california because that means competition is stiffer and its harder to stay at your home state and get into medical school. That's the central point that people are saying.

I mean even people with high stats get pre secondary rejected from some schools like UCSF. So I guess that's why its not a good state to be a resident for in terms fo getting into med school for a lot of people.

But obviously if you could get into a UC it would be a dream for most people considering its california, the dream state of many.

Given the strength of our medical school, I'd take my state of Massachusetts. Also, the competition with out-state residents is non-existent as only state residents are accepted for the MD program.

I was thinking the same thing. You gotta love UMass only taking MA residents.

south carolina

only two schools but the interview rate is ridiculously high, if you're from SC your chances are pretty good.

I'd have to go with Texas.

Ridiculously affordable in-state tuition. Much lower admission stats for some of the less competitive MD schools. Really hard for OOS-ers to get in, not as bad as Mass., but probably as tough as Cali.

south carolina

only two schools but the interview rate is ridiculously high, if you're from SC your chances are pretty good.

Def agree (well next year there will be 4 SC schools)

I was a Ohio resident, didnt get into any of 5 schools in my home state.

But got interviews from both SC schools and accepted into one of them as an OOS.

Therefore per my case study SC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>OH in ease of getting in.

I think this would apply to many schools in the south.

south carolina

Yeah that's cuz SC only takes in state residents for the most part. Very few OOS people compared to other states. Fl. used to be the same way until a few years ago. Now they can take up to like 25% OOS if they want. So that makes it competitive because that means you get the competitive californians and massachusesttans and other people of that nature.

I would pick being a Texas resident any day of the week. But being a Florida resident is a close second, which I am, so no complaints!

And to answer your question, it doesn't really matter as long as I am in a medical school that will get me into my first choice of residency (whatever that may be five years from now...this is a gap year for me).

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

srsly? I know people who got into UNC/Duke/UVA out right rejected at ECU. If you don't fit their system of wanting to serve eastern/rural north carolina you will not have a good chance getting in.

UNC is a top 20 school and though IS applicants have a good shot at a interview, it's still as tough as any top 20 school to get in to...that's just a fact.

And Duke accepts ~20% IS for their undergrad, so no they aren't "pretty high" chances of getting in in-state

I love being an NC resident but your perception is extremely misconstrued.
ECU is treated as a fall-back by a lot of people in NC bc of their lower average stats, but it is definitely not easy to get into. Outside of Duke, NC's schools are definitely not very numbers oriented. I had good numbers (3.8/35) and got into one NC school (Wake Forest). But between the three research schools UNC/Duke/Wake Forest, if you are a generally competitive applicant, you will probably get into one of them.

Last edited:
I really wish Maryland had more than one public medical school! U of Maryland is a good school, don't get me wrong, but for a state as large as Maryland is, I'd have thought we'd have more than one public school. 'Cause it ain't like I have a shot at Hopkins!

Or you could be doubly screwed and live in a state that has 1 medical school AND it's a damn good one that a lot of OOS people want to go to. *cough* Colorado *cough*

Or you could be doubly screwed and live in a state that has 1 medical school AND it's a damn good one that a lot of OOS people want to go to. *cough* Colorado *cough*

Ooh, yeah, I'd love to go to school in Denver. I lived for a big chunk of my childhood in Colorado Springs, and I miss it. Not the crazy Focus on the Family conservatives, but I do miss the hiking.