Which test date: July or September?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sav411

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently signed up for the July 27th date but I feel that I am not fully prepared because the only studying I have done is read through about 14 chapters of the Kaplan book. I am in the middle of the Biology section and I have not taken any practice tests or assessments. I am worried that I will not be able to score as high as I would like to if I take the July PCAT since I am also currently taking Calculus 2 which makes it difficult to study for PCAT and keep up with the Calc class. Should I just push my hardest and take the July PCAT and if I don't score as high as I would like to then take it again in September or should I just altogether cancel the July one and reschedule for September? My calc class ends around August 8th so I would have some more time to prepare for the Sept date but my school starts Aug 24th so I would have to study for PCAT while keeping up with school work which might make it tough.

Members don't see this ad.

Wouldn't it be better to just take it once and get a decent score rather than take it twice and get a mediocre score the first time and a decent score the second time? I'm just worried that I'll have to end up taking the Sept. one anyways so I'm not sure if I should just take the Sept. one instead of the July one rather than take it twice and have 1 bad score on my record?

Wouldn't it be better to just take it once and get a decent score rather than take it twice and get a mediocre score the first time and a decent score the second time? I'm just worried that I'll have to end up taking the Sept. one anyways so I'm not sure if I should just take the Sept. one instead of the July one rather than take it twice and have 1 bad score on my record?
I think if you cancel you don't get a refund. You can always take the July one and choose the no score option at the end of the test if you feel you did poorly. The score will never be recorded or reported to you or the schools. That way you would get the experience of taking the PCAT, which might motivate you to study more for the September test. Also, if you feel you do well and don't choose to cancel your scores, you might not have to take the September test.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't believe you have not taken any practice test ? I think its helpful to take one as a starting point - PCAT sells official ones or I think Kaplan does too. Yes, your score will suck but thats part of the process.
@sav411 To your original question - I agree with PharmSchooler on this one.

I am currently signed up for the July 27th date but I feel that I am not fully prepared because the only studying I have done is read through about 14 chapters of the Kaplan book. I am in the middle of the Biology section and I have not taken any practice tests or assessments. I am worried that I will not be able to score as high as I would like to if I take the July PCAT since I am also currently taking Calculus 2 which makes it difficult to study for PCAT and keep up with the Calc class. Should I just push my hardest and take the July PCAT and if I don't score as high as I would like to then take it again in September or should I just altogether cancel the July one and reschedule for September? My calc class ends around August 8th so I would have some more time to prepare for the Sept date but my school starts Aug 24th so I would have to study for PCAT while keeping up with school work which might make it tough.

If you're feeling this skeptical and stressing out about it, I wouldn't take the test in July - you don't seem to be mentally ready to take it yet (given your circumstances). :/

But honestly, you have a good 30 days to study for the test. Since you're already in CALC 2, math should be fresh in your head - biology and chemistry are really the only things you need to fully review.

Why do you want to take the test in July? Just because you're already registered?

Yea I had originally registered for the July date because I thought that would be enough time to prepare but I underestimated my calculus class taking up so much time. I am considering taking the September one because I'm unsure about the July one.