Which type of MD for me?

hombreamarillo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm currently a high school student looking into earning that MD title. However, I'm still unsure as to which MD specialty I should go for.

My reason for wanting to become a MD is to help others, hopefully to the point where I can make trips to third world countries and administer medical help free o' charge.

Which MD would you peeps recommend? I also want to do dermatology but I don't know if that is suitable for the jack of all trades MD I want to become.

Thanks! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

What year are you in HS?

Right now in high school, specialty should be the last thing on your mind. There's shadowing and med school rotations for figuring that out, and some specialties will be out of your reach by the time you want to match into a residency (derm is pretty competitive).

For a "jack of all trades) you're looking at IM, EM, or FP. Those are the stereotypical doctor specialties that can handle a variety of cases. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Become a general surgeon... then you can operate and still do medicine as a hobby :p

Seriously, you're in HS... cool to start thinking about it but you're going to change your mind 100x between now and then.

Survivor DO

Look into the primary care fields of medicine: GP, FP, IM, Peds, Geriatrics, Hospitalists, etc.

Right now, I would recommend you to focus on having good grades in HS and scorings in your SAT/ACT. When you enroll med school, then will be the time to think about that.

Thanks for the replies, but I'm going into my senior year so college is right around the corner. But thanks!

Bahahahahaha seriously last thing you should be thinking about. Applying to med school and I have not chosen because I want to be very open minded during rotations. I am just focusing on getting accepted. You should just focus on enjoying the next couple of years before you start undergrad because from there on you will have little time to have fun. ENJOY LIFE and appreciate your not so hectic schedule!

Last thing you should be thinking about. You will realize with the time.

It's not a bad thing to aspire toward something specific. Even if it changes with time.

Focus on your hs grades and ACT/SAT score so u can attend a good college and go from there. Best wishes my friend! I will start college soon and I definitely know that I want to become a transplant surgeon but I'm focused in the moment and present and you should too. :)

I would suggest IM or EM. However, whatever you do, you need to decide on a specialty quickly. Seriously, you are way behind many of your peers who chose their specialty in middle school. I guess better late than never....

Also, I chuckled at wanting to practice medicine free of charge in 3rd world countries and then expressing an interest in Derm. Well played sir.

I would suggest IM or EM. However, whatever you do, you need to decide on a specialty quickly. Seriously, you are way behind many of your peers who chose their specialty in middle school. I guess better late than never....

Also, I chuckled at wanting to practice medicine free of charge in 3rd world countries and then expressing an interest in Derm. Well played sir.

Do you think that dermatologist are only trained to do Botox injections, acne treatments and liposuctions? :laugh:

The proportion of IM diseases with a drastic dermatological component are very high in third world countries. No medical non-profit would spit on a dermatologist.

Do you think that dermatologist are only trained to do Botox injections, acne treatments and liposuctions? :laugh:

The proportion of IM diseases with a drastic dermatological component are very high in third world countries. No medical non-profit would spit on a dermatologist.

Yep, you got me. That's exactly what I think.

WAY TOO EARLY!

Work hard. Volunteer. Maybe even shadow. But don't worry about speciality. Enjoy your youth... it only happens once. Plenty of time between now and the time you should be concerned about speciality. I'm in my second year of med school and I'm still not exactly sure where I'll end up. Always best to keep an open mind.

Good luck.