Which vet schools require interviews for OOS students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spinach Dip

Delicious with nachos
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if we could create an up-to-date list of which vet schools require interviews for OOS students.

(I did notice there was an old thread on this topic, but it's 4 years old so I don't really trust its accuracy)

I will start with what I know:

Auburn: Does

Oregon: Does not

Members don't see this ad.

Oklahoma State: Does not

Penn: Does
Tufts: Does
Illinois: Does
Georgia : Does not
Wisconsin: Does Not
Missouri: Does

International:
Glasgow: Does

Members don't see this ad :)
Colorado: Does not
U Illinois: Does
NC State: Does not
Ohio: Does
Purdue: Does
Washington: Does (but not for contract students)
Wisconsin: Does not

International:

Last edited:
VMRCVM: Does

International:
SGU: Does
Ross: Does

Minnesota: Does
Western: Does

International:

Kansas- Does
Iowa: Does
Mississippi: Does
Westerm: Does

International:
PEI: Does

Random: Does anyone else think "does" is a funny looking word? Seeing it this many times in a row just makes it look wrong

Auburn: Yes
Colorado: No
Georgia : No
Kansas- Yes
U Illinois: Yes
Iowa: Yes
Michigan: No
Minnesota: Yes
Mississippi: Yes
Missouri: Yes
NC State: No
Ohio: Yes
Oklahoma State: No
Oregon: No
Penn: Yes
Purdue: Yes
Tufts: Yes
VMRCVM: Yes
Washington: Yes, but not for contract states
Wisconsin: No
Westerm: Yes

International:
Glasgow: Yes
PEI: Yes
SGU: Yes
Ross: Yes

UC Davis: Does
Kansas- Does
Iowa: Does
Mississippi: Does
Westerm: Does

International:
PEI: Does

Auburn: Yes
Colorado: No
Davis: Yes
Georgia : No
Kansas- Yes
U Illinois: Yes
Iowa: Yes
Michigan: No
Minnesota: Yes
Mississippi: Yes
Missouri: Yes
NC State: No
Ohio: Yes
Oklahoma State: No
Oregon: No
Penn: Yes
Purdue: Yes
Tufts: Yes
VMRCVM: Yes
Washington: Yes, but not for contract states
Western: Yes
Wisconsin: No

International:
Glasgow: Yes
PEI: Yes
SGU: Yes
Ross: Yes

Next person in the thread, feel free to change this back to mixed does/does not yes/no alphabetical order, but I thought this might be easier to read.

Or: Pre-Vet SDN challenge! See how many formats we can have for one list. ;)

Schools that require interviews for OOS applicants:
Auburn
UC Davis
Kansas
U Illinois
Iowa
Louisiana
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Ohio
Penn
Purdue
Tennessee
Tufts
VMRCVM
Washington (but not for contract students)
Western

International:
Glasgow
PEI
SGU
Ross

Schools that do NOT require interviews for OOS applicants:
Colorado
Georgia
NC State
Oklahoma State
Oregon
Wisconsin

Auburn
UC Davis
Kansas
U Illinois
Iowa
Louisiana
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Ohio
Penn
Purdue
Tennessee
Tufts
VMRCVM
Western

International:
Glasgow
PEI
SGU
Ross
RVC (for most applicants)

Colorado
Georgia
NC State
Oklahoma State
Oregon
Wisconsin

International:
Edinburgh
Massey

Members don't see this ad :)
Added Tuskegee. Can we get the last 4 in place?

Auburn
UC Davis
Kansas
U Illinois
Iowa
Louisiana
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Ohio
Penn
Purdue
Tennessee
Tufts
Tuskegee
VMRCVM
Western

International:
Glasgow
PEI
SGU
Ross

Colorado
Georgia
NC State
Oklahoma State
Oregon
Wisconsin

International:
Edinburgh
Massey

Unsure:
Cornell
Florida
Michigan
Texas

Added Cornell and Florida... not sure about the last two.

Auburn
UC Davis
Florida
Kansas
U Illinois
Iowa
Louisiana
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Ohio
Penn
Purdue
Tennessee
Tufts
Tuskegee
VMRCVM
Western

International:
Glasgow
PEI
SGU
Ross

Colorado
Cornell
Georgia
NC State
Oklahoma State
Oregon
Wisconsin

International:
Edinburgh
Massey

Unsure:
Michigan
Texas

Auburn
UC Davis
Florida
Kansas
U Illinois
Iowa
Louisiana
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Ohio
Penn
Purdue
Tennessee
Tufts
Tuskegee
VMRCVM
Western

International:
Glasgow
PEI
SGU
Ross

Colorado
Cornell
Georgia
NC State
Oklahoma State
Oregon
Wisconsin
Michigan

International:
Edinburgh
Massey

Unsure:
Texas

I'm not really sure if any can be done by video phone calls. I feel like the school's don't really have the time to do that in addition to everything else that is going on during the admission process.

As for a waiver, not sure about that either. That's why I think it's important to only apply to as many schools as you are able to financially. And that does mean to factor in interview costs. It cost me about $400 to go to one of mine. My one professor told me of how he had a student take out a loan just so they could go to their grad school interview.

I'm not really sure if any can be done by video phone calls. I feel like the school's don't really have the time to do that in addition to everything else that is going on during the admission process.

As for a waiver, not sure about that either. That's why I think it's important to only apply to as many schools as you are able to financially. And that does mean to factor in interview costs. It cost me about $400 to go to one of mine. My one professor told me of how he had a student take out a loan just so they could go to their grad school interview.
Haven't heard of it in vet schools unfortunately, but it is common in other grad programs, especially with overseas applicants to skype interview. And my wife had a phone interview for Phd programs.

Got to move along with the technology!

Hey guys for the interviews, can any of them be via Skype, Polycom, email or through a phone. Also if you're economically disadvantaged could you guys get a waiver?

LSU will let you do your interview over webcam if you are OOS. However, I think it says a lot to be able to shake your interviewers' hands and make eye contact, so I would see it as a disadvantage to not be there in person. I'm not sure if the admissions committee agrees, but that's my personal take. Also, going on interviews is often your only chance to see the school, which could influence where you end up going (i.e., were more impressed by a school than you thought you would be, or vice versa).

A little research showed that Texas A&M requires interviews for all applicants.

That completes the list, aside from a few international schools. Thanks to all who helped!

Auburn
UC Davis
Florida
Kansas
U Illinois
Iowa
Louisiana
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Ohio
Penn
Purdue
Tennessee
Texas
Tufts
Tuskegee
VMRCVM
Western

International:
Glasgow
PEI
SGU
Ross

Colorado
Cornell
Georgia
NC State
Oklahoma State
Oregon
Wisconsin
Michigan

International:
Edinburgh
Massey

I took out a loan to apply this past year. I ended up using even more than I took out due to the four interviews, ranging from a $700 - 24 hour trip :rolleyes: to a $200 - 4 day trip! :D
Luckily it was all worth it :thumbup:

Iowa told me they would do a Skype interview with me if I was living abroad during their interview season. Thankfully I decided not to apply there b/c internet on a remote tropical island would run into the 100s for a short video call.

You should be able to get a personal loan for the process. I wouldn't be shy about asking if they have any financial assistance available to students. There is often more money tucked away at these large universities and you don't know until you ask. Obviously be professional and think through how you're planning to ask, but don't be afraid.

I know several students who got 1000s more in grants/scholarships to pay for undergrad simply by asking (Rice, Penn, & Rutgers so not all the same school). They gathered facts about why they couldn't pay the remainder and why they deserved more assistance in paying for college.

A personal loan can often be useful in the process. I only applied to places that didn't interview & my IS school which is 20 min from my parents' house and I STILL spent a disgusting amount of money on the process.

one of the head admissions people at VMRCVM advises students that on average, she sees people spending about $3000 from start to finish each cycle by the time it all adds up (including interviews, deposits, and all the application things)

one of the head admissions people at VMRCVM advises students that on average, she sees people spending about $3000 from start to finish each cycle by the time it all adds up (including interviews, deposits, and all the application things)

:eek: So glad I only applied one place... ~$150 VMCAS, $60 supplemental, $255 deposit was a big enough dent in my finances.

Yup. Sounds about right. I might be a bit under that, but when you factor in my previous cycle, definitely hit around that mark I'm sure. Which makes me feel slightly sick.

This is one of those times I'm not happy to be above average :(

Yup. Sounds about right. I might be a bit under that, but when you factor in my previous cycle, definitely hit around that mark I'm sure. Which makes me feel slightly sick.

i remember thinking she was out of her mind the first time i heard that. and then the more i thought about it, the more i realized how accurate it could be. apply to a few schools? theres several hundred dollars. get multiple interviews? travel, hotel, misc. expenses...then acceptance with deposit? yikes, it adds up so quickly!!

i remember thinking she was out of her mind the first time i heard that. and then the more i thought about it, the more i realized how accurate it could be. apply to a few schools? theres several hundred dollars. get multiple interviews? travel, hotel, misc. expenses...then acceptance with deposit? yikes, it adds up so quickly!!

Oh crap. I didn't even think about deposits. I've spent $1000 alone on those. And I could have ended up spending either $1500 or $3500 if my OK State one had gone through or if I had put down my deposit for Glasgow. Holy crap. I would have spent like a total of almost $7,000 on applications. :eek:

U.S.
Auburn
UC Davis
Florida
Kansas
U Illinois
Iowa
Louisiana
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Ohio
Penn
Purdue
Tennessee
Texas
Tufts
Tuskegee
VMRCVM
Western

International:
Glasgow
PEI
SGU
Ross
Guelph

U.S.
Colorado
Cornell
Georgia
Michigan State
NC State
Oklahoma State
Oregon
Wisconsin

International:
Edinburgh
Massey

Oh crap. I didn't even think about deposits. I've spent $1000 alone on those. And I could have ended up spending either $1500 or $3500 if my OK State one had gone through or if I had put down my deposit for Glasgow. Holy crap. I would have spent like a total of almost $7,000 on applications. :eek:

I meant to ask you if they were kind enough to not take your deposit. That was nice of them.