Which would adcomms prefer..?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GeauxTigers101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm headed into my sophomore year of undergrad. I need to start making solid decisions on majors and minors. I'm currently a biochem major, with a math minor and enrolled in a teaching program (I would get a teaching certificate and i get the opportunity to teach children around my city which i would enjoy). The head of the teaching program's department recently told me they do not accept biochem majors, only gen bio majors. So my question is, would adcomms appreciate a bio major with both a teaching certificate and a math minor, or a biochem major and math minor who studied abroad (I plan on studying abroad if I can't teach.)?

Thanks so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

In general if you are asking a question "which do ADCOMs prefer" you are asking the wrong question.

Whatever decision you make should not be based on which you think looks better. Teaching and studying abroad are major time commitments and experiences. What a horrible life it would be to going abroad solely for the purpose of wanting to impress ADCOMs when you'd rather be doing something else.

Reactions: 1 user
In general if you are asking a question "which do ADCOMs prefer" you are asking the wrong question.

Whatever decision you make should not be based on which you think looks better. Teaching and studying abroad are major time commitments and experiences. What a horrible life it would be to going abroad solely for the purpose of wanting to impress ADCOMs when you'd rather be doing something else.

Thanks for the answer firstly, but I'm asking which would look better because I would love to do both of these conflicting options very very mcuh, I've actually even made a pro-con list for them and it was split right down the middle. So I'm asking this question as sort of a tie breaker.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean seriously. If grades/ECs/MCAT are equal what do you think looks better spending a semester in Europe or helping the children?

34047101.jpg

What do you ultimately want to do with your career? Do you want to go into academic medicine? Help the under served? Work abroad? Go with whichever path aligns most with your long term goals. The adcoms at schools that are best prepared to get you to your goals will be impressed by those activities.

Reactions: 1 user