Which would you pick - TCOM DO (in-state tuition) vs Drexel MD [POLL]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which would you pick?

• TCOM at $16k per year

Votes: 60 40.8%
  • Drexel at $72k per year

Votes: 87 59.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

flatearth22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those unaware:

TCOM is a public DO school in Ft. Worth, TX. Like other TX public medical schools the in-state tuition and cost of living is very cheap. The tuition and living fees per year at TCOM for a Texas resident is ~$16051.90 for a grand total of $67,207.50 (http://www.hsc.unt.edu/Sites/UNTHSCTuitionandFees/index.cfm?pageName=TCOM%20Tuition%20and%20Fees#Resident)

Drexel is an MD school in Philadelphia, PA. It is a private institution. The tuition and living fees per year at Drexel are $72,413.00 for a grand total of $289,652.00 (from this year's MSAR).

Members don't see this ad.

For those unaware:

TCOM is a public DO school in Ft. Worth, TX. Like other TX public medical schools the in-state tuition and cost of living is very cheap. The tuition and living fees per year at TCOM for a Texas resident is ~$16051.90 for a grand total of $67,207.50 (http://www.hsc.unt.edu/Sites/UNTHSCTuitionandFees/index.cfm?pageName=TCOM%20Tuition%20and%20Fees#Resident)

Drexel is an MD school in Philadelphia, PA. It is a private institution. The tuition and living fees per year at Drexel are $72,413.00 for a grand total of $289,652.00 (from this year's MSAR).

I normally would've said MD off the bat, but considering it's a 200K difference, which amounts to 400K over the life of the loan, I'd say go with TCOM. You'll be a DO, which is no less inferior to a MD degree. At the end of the day, you'll be practicing medicine regardless of those two letters after your name.

That being said, what does your gut say?

Members don't see this ad :)

Agreed. The price difference is what will make most people do it but even without that it is still an enticing argument. In this case I would even pick TCOM with OOS tuition and living fees (~$30k) over Drexel at $72k

TCOM is a great school (MD or DO) and I might have a shot getting a UTSW or Baylor or UT-Houston residency due to regional bias. Living 4 years in Texas seems more fun than 4 years in Philly (at least for me).

Plus I would love to settle down in TX...warm weather state...lots to do...low cost of living ...no state income tax...booming economy....and if my kids decide to go into medicine then they'll have an easier road than their old man did coming from CA :laugh:

Last edited:
I normally would've said MD off the bat, but considering it's a 200K difference, which amounts to 400K over the life of the loan, I'd say go with TCOM. You'll be a DO, which is no less inferior to a MD degree. At the end of the day, you'll be practicing medicine regardless of those two letters after your name.

That being said, what does your gut say?

This was just a hypothetical. A post in another thread mentioned how no one ever picks DO over MD so I tried to think of a simple example where that might not be the case and see what other pre-meds thought on the matter.

btw tcom is supposed to be opening a MD option soon from what i've heard

That could make for an interesting class dynamic.
they said the year would be 2013 when it would start so we'll see... There was a huge debate about this last year over at UNTHSC . In reality though from what I've seen in FW, theres no real difference between DO and MD. :shrug:

TCOM was going through some financial difficulties so i think they proposed this idea as a way to get rid of those problems

If we're assuming that the numbers listed (67k and 289k) are the actual amounts of debt that we would go into for each option (which I think are generally overestimated), I would probably choose TCOM.

However, in actuality I would be looking at factors like individual fit for each school, and which location I would prefer living in (I've never been to Philly so I can't say...). If I felt Drexel offered me all of the opportunities I ever wanted and more, and I absolutely hated TCOM, I would then probably choose Drexel.

I would also consider where I would want to do my residency and ultimately practice. If I was sure I wanted to stay permanently in the northeast, that would be another point for Drexel.

TCOM is a pretty outstanding DO school, and for the other reasons you listed seems like the best option to me.

TCOM. Texas is way too hot for me but I do have relatives in Dallas and most importantly the tuition is WAY more affordable.

At Michigan State there is both MD and DO, and they have classes together :scared::eek:

Michigan also has a really high proportion of DO's (and over 4000 practicing DO's in the state total) compared to other states. I think some of the premeds worried about any potential stigma that comes with DO come from states where there are a lower proportion of DO's than states where DO's make up a sizable minority like Oklahoma, Michigan, Iowa, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Michigan also has a really high proportion of DO's (and over 4000 practicing DO's in the state total) compared to other states. I think some of the premeds worried about any potential stigma that comes with DO come from states where there are a lower proportion of DO's than states where DO's make up a sizable minority like Oklahoma, Michigan, Iowa, etc.
Yep...kind of noticed that, living in Michigan and all. but thanks!

I was going to type out a response but then i found that someone said exactly what i was going to say in another thread...

Hate posting in a troll thread BUT...

If you know you want to enter primary care and aren't really concerned about the "prestige" of being an MD and have researched OMT and agree with it then it really doesn't matter. Pick the school you like best (location, price, learning style, etc.)

If you think you might want to enter a competitive specialty and/or have qualms about OMT then go US MD because it will be much tougher to enter as a DO.

There are far more risks involved in entering a Caribbean MD because of their poor residency placement and high dropout rates. But if those risks outweigh your fear of stigma or your skepticism of OMT then by all means go to the Carib over DO (ie - don't apply DO just as a backup or if you highly doubt their OMT philisophy).

For me...I think I might be interested in a competitive specialty (Rads or Gas) but I would also be OK doing primary care (IM-Hospitalist). I have no problem with OMT (I've done a lot of research) other than the minor cranial stuff so it's US MD > US DO >>>>>>>> Carib > Work out of a Taco Truck.

oh, wait, that was you OP ....funny how you called that MD vs. DO thread a "troll thread" and then posted your own MD vs. DO thread :thumbup:

I was going to type out a response but then i found that someone said exactly what i was going to say in another thread...

oh, wait, that was you OP ....funny how you called that MD vs. DO thread a "troll thread" and then posted your own MD vs. DO thread :thumbup:

But that was a troll thread. This is a good discussion (as evidenced by the tight poll race so far 12-11 as of 9:48 PST). I also got my idea to post this poll from another post I made later on in that thread.

Last edited:
TCOM. It's one of the best DO schools by any measure, cheap as heck, has a comparable match list to any non top 20 MD school (and any Texas school for that matter), and Drexel isn't exactly a top tier school. It's middle of the pack. If this was RVU vs WashU, that'd be one thing, or even any other private DO school versus any other public MD school, or even a relatively cheap LECOM versus a non public MD school, I'd say go MD (after adjusting for fit, location, residency, etc.), but TCOM, with it's minuscule tuition versus a middle of the pack MD school north of 65k a year...

I am a DO student, so take my rec with its bias, but I have TCOM ranked higher than quite a few MD programs (cost aside) and well above most MD programs, cost included.

Reactions: 1 user
But that was a troll thread. This is a good discussion (as evidenced by the tight poll race so far 12-11 as of 9:48 PST). I also got my idea to post this poll from another post I made later on in that thread.

what makes this thread silly though is that you already know that the answer isn't a simple yes/no and that it depends on your future aspirations

Someone from Drexel just matched the General Surgery program that I may be interested in in the future. They have NEVER taken a DO. The increased debt is only worth it if it helps you get to where you need to go. This decision would probably be very different for the person actually from Texas. In most states, the DO schools are actually incredibly more expensive than many MD options, especially in-state schools.

I would take MD. But that's me and I like options. Your mileage may vary.

Is there even an argument? TCOM, hands down.

either way, you will get a good residency and the money will be paid back eventually. do what you feel will make you happy.

if you dont know what that is, here's a game im sure you've heard of:

flip a coin. while the coin is in the air, you will suddenly know what outcome you are hoping for.

This is my nightmare... Haha. I am now accepted to TCOM, which is like 5 min from my house anyway. And I am sitting on a U of Vermont waitlist with only a few weeks left til TCOM starts. So I am debating pulling off the Vermont waitlist, but then I kind of want to see if I even have a chance. But if I get the acceptance, it would be just about the hardest decision of my life. I’m thinking TCOM... But my heart says U of Vermont (not because of the MD really, I felt a better fit for the area and school, plus my husband badly wants to work in a brewery :laugh:) even though it will be far away from my family and I would go into way more debt (with living expenses, $120k at TCOM vs $320k at UVM).

I’m almost 80% sure that I will stick with TCOM. Let’s all cross our fingers that I don’t have a chance in heck at UVM... Because that will suck. I’m pulling off the UVM waitlist at the end of next week btw… I’m not just going to hold onto it forever, especially after TCOM starts even though it is 2 weeks before UVM stops using their waitlist. I don’t think I can take another rollercoaster ride like I have had with almost moving to Arizona for AZCOM and then finding out I am staying put a few weeks before…

Reactions: 1 user
This is my nightmare... Haha. I am now accepted to TCOM, which is like 5 min from my house anyway. And I am sitting on a U of Vermont waitlist with only a few weeks left til TCOM starts. So I am debating pulling off the Vermont waitlist, but then I kind of want to see if I even have a chance. But if I get the acceptance, it would be just about the hardest decision of my life. I’m thinking TCOM... But my heart says U of Vermont (not because of the MD really, I felt a better fit for the area and school, plus my husband badly wants to work in a brewery :laugh:) even though it will be far away from my family and I would go into way more debt (with living expenses, $120k at TCOM vs $320k at UVM).

I’m almost 80% sure that I will stick with TCOM. Let’s all cross our fingers that I don’t have a chance in heck at UVM... Because that will suck. I’m pulling off the UVM waitlist at the end of next week btw… I’m not just going to hold onto it forever, especially after TCOM starts even though it is 2 weeks before UVM stops using their waitlist. I don’t think I can take another rollercoaster ride like I have had with almost moving to Arizona for AZCOM and then finding out I am staying put a few weeks before…

Congrats Noshie! I've been following your progress on MD Apps and I'm so ecstatic for you. I just want to advise you to not withdraw from the UVM waitlist. It will not hurt to wait and see if they accept you. You never know how it'll all play out and who knows, they may even have scholarships available. A couple of cycles ago when I applied, I nearly withdrew my waitlist at my number one choice because I gave myself a deadline date for hearing from them. My family convinced me to not withdraw from the waitlist even though I had decided (so I thought) that even if I got an acceptance from them, I wouldn't go because I was so frustrated and done with the process. One week before moving to the city of the med school that I had chosen, I was taken off of the waitlist for my number 1. Even though I'd already gotten an apartment, started meeting classmates, attending some mixers, etc.. once that acceptance came in everything in my irrational mind changed. At worst, you can decline the admissions but I recommend that you don't kill the opportunity by withdrawing.

Where is NickNaylor when you need him!!!:laugh:

Congrats Noshie! I've been following your progress on MD Apps and I'm so ecstatic for you. I just want to advise you to not withdraw from the UVM waitlist. It will not hurt to wait and see if they accept you. You never know how it'll all play out and who knows, they may even have scholarships available. A couple of cycles ago when I applied, I nearly withdrew my waitlist at my number one choice because I gave myself a deadline date for hearing from them. My family convinced me to not withdraw from the waitlist even though I had decided (so I thought) that even if I got an acceptance from them, I wouldn't go because I was so frustrated and done with the process. One week before moving to the city of the med school that I had chosen, I was taken off of the waitlist for my number 1. Even though I'd already gotten an apartment, started meeting classmates, attending some mixers, etc.. once that acceptance came in everything in my irrational mind changed. At worst, you can decline the admissions but I recommend that you don't kill the opportunity by withdrawing.

Thanks Cher! That is amazing advice, and I needed to hear this right now. :) I will not withdraw then! You're right, anything can happen. That's why I hate this process so much, but also why I secretly love it. Haha.

Where is NickNaylor when you need him!!!:laugh:

Oh, I can hear him ranting about this right now... I know he will strongly advise against TCOM. Haha. He's so one sided. Gotta love him though... He stands by his opinions, even when people yell at him for it. ;)

Drexel, but that's because location is paramount to me. I didn't even really like Drexel that much at interview. If this was between PCOM and some random MD school on the other side of the country, I'd pick PCOM.

Definitely TCOM. If it was an MD school that I was interested in I would've picked that but Drexel? No way (by the way I have nothing personal against the school it's just overpriced and the least desirable of the 4 philly MD schools).

And I realize this thread was started based off of what I said in the previous thread but I said "very rarely do people pick DO over MD" I didn't say "never". :laugh:

I was thinking more along the lines of him and others fueding with the OP of this thread and the thread being kind of a troll thread....make believe scenario......blah blah blah...flatearth bored at work.....blah blah....LOL

NickNaylor has commented on the OPs advice in the past and I always find their interplay so amusing from afar!

nicknaylor rocks!

easy choice, Drexel.

Unless, as previously stated, your interested in primary care. Then go to TCOM. I have a lot of friends that have graduated from TCOM and say its one of the best DO schools out there, some are doing IM, EM, etc. but with that being said, you will have more opportunities and chances in an MD school, and have an opportunity to become an MD which many others are really hoping for. Nothing wrong with DO at all, I like it a lot and was going to go that route, but when given the opportunity for MD (in-state for me) it was a no-brainer.

Like I said, you have an opportunity that many people, probably most, that are going to DO would love to have. I would take advantage of it regardless of the cost.

This was just a hypothetical. A post in another thread mentioned how no one ever picks DO over MD so I tried to think of a simple example where that might not be the case and see what other pre-meds thought on the matter.

Given the opportunity most people will take MD and the debt, learning those manipulations and taking the COMLEX is not top on anyone's list that just wants to practice medicine....most DOs don't use those manipulations after school anyway

Ok, I am not going to post here anymore, the reality is this thread is a bit inane and is merely to spark some conversation, again because flat earth is bored or just boring.....not sure on that one yet.....

NICKNAYLOR....WHERE ARE YOU IN MY DARKEST HOUR!

cheers

Your calculation is off by about $25,000 PER YEAR. You should be comparing about 167K to 289K.

The link you gave for TCOM has a lot missing and does not include living expenses. You can see that the webpage is titled "Tuition and Fees" instead of Cost of Attendance, which is probably what Drexel has on their website. Take a look at an example of what TCOM does not have included. This is just an example from UTHSCSA.

http://studentservices.uthscsa.edu/pdf/FinAidForms/2011-12/COAs2011-12/MedicineCOA2011-12.pdf

67K is just tuition and fees. I don't mean to burst your bubble, just want to make sure you know.

This is the TCOM page you should really be looking at.

http://www.hsc.unt.edu/departments/FinancialAid/documents/2011-2012 FORMS/COA DO 11-12.pdf

NICKNAYLOR....WHERE ARE YOU IN MY DARKEST HOUR!

cheers

This is just getting weird. And stop saying "cheers" unless you are from Australia or GB.

Thanks Cher! That is amazing advice, and I needed to hear this right now. :) I will not withdraw then! You're right, anything can happen. That's why I hate this process so much, but also why I secretly love it. Haha.

Oh, I can hear him ranting about this right now... I know he will strongly advise against TCOM. Haha. He's so one sided. Gotta love him though... He stands by his opinions, even when people yell at him for it. ;)

Long time no see Noshie. Welcome back. Where have you been?

This is just getting weird. And stop saying "cheers" unless you are from Australia or GB.

Agreed, I think this SDN is not for me, I don't even like lurking all that much anymore and my first attempt at joining the conversations has fallen short of the fun I thought it would be. I think I will go back to lurking and maybe I will meet some of you for reals in the fall.

CHEERS!

I think this boils down to MD vs DO.

Personally, I would take MD over DO any day, simply because it opens more doors. Also, Philly also has Penn, Jefferson, Temple, (and PCOM). Lots of opportunity to do research, etc.

However, if you like the DO philosophy and are indifferent to the initials after your surname, TCOM is a very attractive option. The instate tuition is awesome, and the housing situation will be much better down south than whatever crappy, musty old place you'd find (and shell out $$$$ for) in Philly.

Drexel gets a bad rap here, but in truth it's an awesome school. Its pre-clinical curricula (you have the option of two tracks) are easily amongst the best in the country in terms of preparation for Step I.

Last edited:
Hey, I would have agreed with the majority here (that MD would be the better option), but I think you should go with TCOM. I asked an MD I was shadowing today if MD's look down on DO's and if DO's are severely limited in speciality options, and while this used to be the case, DO's are highly respected in the medical field. He explained to me that two of his colleagues that he respects most, a neurosurgeon and pathologist, are both DO's. In the end, there is a significant difference in cost, and I think it's a no-brainer to take the cheaper option.

Reactions: 1 users
Long time no see Noshie. Welcome back. Where have you been?

URSA! Where have you been?! Haha. I have just been sulking about having to move to AZ... And now that I am not going (TCOM came to their senses ;) ), I am back to give advice and not hate on the system! Yay! :laugh: I have been lurking daily though... I felt like a creepy freak... :rolleyes:

Hey, I would have agreed with the majority here (that MD would be the better option), but I think you should go with TCOM. I asked an MD I was shadowing today if MD's look down on DO's and if DO's are severely limited in speciality options, and while this used to be the case, DO's are highly respected in the medical field. He explained to me that two of his colleagues that he respects most, a neurosurgeon and pathologist, are both DO's. In the end, there is a significant difference in cost, and I think it's a no-brainer to take the cheaper option.

I agree that DO doesn't hold you back AFTER you complete your residency training and AFTER you get settled in practice. There would be no reason to look down upon anyone who is doing the same job as anyone else. That's dumb. However, DURING training you have to jump through other, less desirable hoops that can be almost completely eliminated by going to an MD school. (That is, unless you want to learn OMT!) If you want an ACGME residency then of course it makes more sense to go to an MD school.

This is my nightmare... Haha. I am now accepted to TCOM, which is like 5 min from my house anyway.

How did I miss this news? Congrats!! :thumbup:

Edit: Ursa just noticed you're UTHSCSA acceptance - congrats to you too :)

Did our Texas thread die or have I just not read it in a while?

:scared:
At Michigan State there is both MD and DO, and they have classes together :scared::eek:

It's only a few classes...and it's only for the first year. Why would that scare you? :scared::confused:

If anything, the two can learn from each other. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.