Which would you rather go to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I'd choose...

• Harvard

Votes: 58 22.8%
  • Hopkins

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • WashU

Votes: 15 5.9%
  • Penn

Votes: 19 7.5%
  • UWash

Votes: 13 5.1%
  • UCSF

Votes: 40 15.7%
  • Duke

Votes: 21 8.3%
  • Stanford

Votes: 35 13.8%
  • UCLA

Votes: 24 9.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

randombetch

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If all 9 schools accepted you and gave you financial aid so that they all cost exactly the same... Which would you attend?

I picked UCLA.

Members don't see this ad.

Stanford :D.
I'm a psych major so i'm kinda biased on this matter. Stanford is basically the **** in almost all psychological experiments so i've learned to find Stanford extremely appealing. Not to mention the temp isnt too bad :).

JHU is nice but i personally hate Baltimore.
Harvard is nice it'd be my number 3.
UPenn is my number 2 because its in Philli and it's the city where almost 2/3rds of residents go to or study in.

I'm a psych major so i'm kinda biased on this matter. Stanford is basically the **** in almost all psychological experiments so i've learned to find Stanford extremely appealing. Not to mention the temp isnt too bad :).

Interesting - are you planning on being a psychiatrist? Or neurologist? Stanford was my #1 choice for undergrad. Oh, how I wish I had gotten in. The only other comparable schools were in the East coast, and the Northeast sucks compared to Cali!

EDIT: UWash!?!? Why would you want to live in Seattle?! Washington has the least number of sunny days in the country! I suppose it's better than MO though. I wouldn't even want to apply to WashU.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting - are you planning on being a psychiatrist? Or neurologist?

Right now im thinking neurology I love cognitive neuroscience. Mirror neurons are officially my most favorite topic in the whole universe.

I know northeast is cold, but its not that bad really. I mean usually we dont get that much snow or anything. This year its just pounding and pounding snow. Its actually making me think about transferring to Florida.

I would only consider Harvard because I've heard so much about Harvard growing up, and the established name they have for "Best University in the World."

that's kind of sad.

Last edited:
My post got destroyed some how. :(

ANYWAYS... I'll say it again then; UWASH! :D RESEARCH IS LAME... Primary care is where it's at, yo.

Stanford. I wanted to go to Stanford so much in high school.

Really? I've heard about things like the Stanford Prison Experiment but is Stanford similarly tops in psychiatry and neurology? I know that Pitt is #1 in the amount of research grants from the NIH in psychiatry.

Cali bias I assume...although ucla is also a good school.

undoubtedly. i'd put that in my top 5 on that list with having only actually visited one of those medical schools lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
UCSF because San Francisco is awesome and in-state tuition rocks.

Penn, strictly for location. My husband and I grew up in Philly and most of our family and friends are here.

* Definitely Duke! Their curriculum is awesome…only 1 year of lecture which means your 3rd year can be devoted entirely to research or another degree and you start interacting with patients your very first year. Not to mention their hospital is one of the best in the nation.

Interesting - are you planning on being a psychiatrist? Or neurologist? Stanford was my #1 choice for undergrad. Oh, how I wish I had gotten in. The only other comparable schools were in the East coast, and the Northeast sucks compared to Cali!

EDIT: UWash!?!? Why would you want to live in Seattle?! Washington has the least number of sunny days in the country! I suppose it's better than MO though. I wouldn't even want to apply to WashU.

i'm going to go ahead and assume you have never been to st. louis

* Definitely Duke! Their curriculum is awesome…only 1 year of lecture which means your 3rd year can be devoted entirely to research or another degree and you start interacting with patients your very first year. Not to mention their hospital is one of the best in the nation.

This is nice but at the same time isn't it possibly detrimental for the USMLE since you take it after 1 year?

Surprised at the large amounts of UCSF.

If its gonna be Cali it HAS to be Stanford.

Who did I pick?
My dream school of course.

Cali bias I assume...although ucla is also a good school.
Total coastal bias. :thumbdown:

No U Mich, and that's a top ten school, too. Ok, then, I have to go with Wash U since it's the only non-coastal choice. Midwest represent!

i'm going to go ahead and assume you have never been to st. louis

Of course not. Not many people have - kind of related to why I wouldn't want to live there.

LA is my ideal city, so however much it's different from LA is how much I wouldn't want to live there.

Surprised at the large amounts of UCSF.

If its gonna be Cali it HAS to be Stanford.

What are you talking about, UCSF is clearly superior to Stanford when it comes to medicine. And the location is WAY better. Stanford is in the middle of nowhere compared to UCSF.

As for Yale and Columbia - I didn't expect those to be as favored, although I think I should have included Columbia.

UCSF maybe. But it would be really hard to turn down Harvard and JHU.

What are you talking about, UCSF is clearly superior to Stanford when it comes to medicine. And the location is WAY better. Stanford is in the middle of nowhere compared to UCSF.

As for Yale and Columbia - I didn't expect those to be as favored, although I think I should have included Columbia.

No.
:rolleyes:

This is nice but at the same time isn't it possibly detrimental for the USMLE since you take it after 1 year?

duke expects its students to take the step1 usmle by the end of their third year (the year dedicated to research), which allows for an ample amount of studying time, and as far as i remember they have some of the best scores in the nation.

i didnt like anything about duke when i visited, but their curriculum is hard to pass up

Yup.
;)

Only school top 5 in both research and primary care. It's also been ranked higher than Stanford every year, also the 3rd highest NIH awarded medical school, also it's UCSF.

If you like crappy weather and weird people (no offense to the few normal SFers) then UCSF's location is better. :rolleyes:

Yup.
;)

Only school top 5 in both research and primary care. It's also been ranked higher than Stanford every year, also the 3rd highest NIH awarded medical school, also it's UCSF.

Plus UCSF hospital is ranked higher than Stanford's.

Total coastal bias. :thumbdown:

No U Mich, and that's a top ten school, too. Ok, then, I have to go with Wash U since it's the only non-coastal choice. Midwest represent!

QFT.

I'd choose U Mich over all these schools except maybe U Wash, mostly because those are the two best schools in the nation for the type of research I want to get into. I also love the idea of being attached to a large undergrad campus in a complete college town.

I'd agree that UCSF is an amazing medical school, but Stanford has more of an international reputation. If you're a West Coast pre-med, you will get dreamy-eyed at the thought of UCSF, but if you venture into the East Coast, UCSF is only really known by those in academia while even laypeople will have heard of Stanford.

Hopkins, with U-Dub in second and Penn in third.

I wouldn't even consider Stanford since I've heard they're almost all research and their clinical rotations suck.

Yup.
;)

I'd go to UCSF over every single other school if I could.

Sigh...

St. Louis is a great city and WashU is an amazing school-however, I'd like to see Columbia and Vanderbilt on this list

St. Louis is a great city and WashU is an amazing school-however, I'd like to see Columbia and Vanderbilt on this list

I agree. Except Vanderbilt is in Tenn.. I mean unless you want to go see Taylor swift its redneck land lol.

Are you kidding me? St. Louis sucks.

UCSF for sure.

I sense serious west coast bias here - as in nearly everyone from the west coast will pick UCSF, where as the east coast and midwestern people will split each others' votes.

I kind of like this thread, FWIW.

Actually, I'd probably want to change my vote since lately I've realized I'm much more of a city person and have been dreaming about NYC or LA. We need a NYC school on the list... nothing beats NYC!

East coast here and I picked UCSF!!!!! C'mon UCSF, go go go go go. Maybe it's a bunch of NE'ers who are sick of the snow like me!

Actually, I'd probably want to change my vote since lately I've realized I'm much more of a city person and have been dreaming about NYC or LA. We need a NYC school on the list... nothing beats NYC!

like i said: Columbia!

Yup.
;)

Perhaps. But outside of the west coast, Stanford is much more popular.

And if I'm picking a school, any random school, then it gotta be popularity.

My friend (A) once asked another friend (B) when we were all having lunch.

A: Do you know what school bannie22 is interviewing at?
B: UofT?
A: No think around the world!!!
B: Harvard? Stanford?

Nuff said. :laugh:

In fact, one of my other friends turned down UPitt dental interview to attend a NYU interview because NYU is more reknowned outside of the States...

Whether that was smart or not is not the question, but where would non-west coasters pick? Stanford.

*Start another poll rbetch! get Columbia in here and Yale too.
Cali is overrepresented...

Perhaps. But outside of the west coast, Stanford is much more popular.

And if I'm picking a school, any random school, then it gotta be popularity.

My friend (A) once asked another friend (B) when we were all having lunch.

A: Do you know what school bannie22 is interviewing at?
B: UofT?
A: No think around the world!!!
B: Harvard? Stanford?

Nuff said. :laugh:

In fact, one of my other friends turned down UPitt dental interview to attend a NYU interview because NYU is more reknowned outside of the States...

Whether that was smart or not is not the question, but where would non-west coasters pick? Stanford.

*Start another poll rbetch! get Columbia in here and Yale too.
Cali is overrepresented...

Haha, prestige-wise, you are correct. Stanford is far more popular than UCSF.

Once in 10th grade, I had to explain to these 2 gunners in my class (always studying already in high school) that UCSF was an amazing institution with no undergraduate study. They didn't believe me - they thought UCSF was just some crappy school they never heard of. :rolleyes:

For me, it's UCLA > UCSF > Stanford > any other med school in the country.

Haha, prestige-wise, you are correct. Stanford is far more popular than UCSF.

Once in 10th grade, I had to explain to these 2 gunners in my class (always studying already in high school) that UCSF was an amazing institution with no undergraduate study. They didn't believe me - they thought UCSF was just some crappy school they never heard of. :rolleyes:

For me, it's UCLA > UCSF > Stanford > any other med school in the country.

What happened to Princeton? :p

As I suspected, WashU is the least favored among those top med schools. Too bad I forgot to include Columbia and Yale!

Status
Not open for further replies.