Whispering during the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bentonj002

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. This may be an easily answered question, but I couldn't find it anywhere else. Are you allowed to quietly whisper during the test? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

No, you are expected to be silent in the testing room, there is no talking whatsoever. I expect that you would get asked to leave for whispering and would get an "irregular behavior" flag or something of that nature - not a good idea!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all. This may be an easily answered question, but I couldn't find it anywhere else. Are you allowed to quietly whisper during the test? Thank you.
Absolutely not. There's nothing more annoying to everyone else in the room.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well to clarify I was referring to whispering the passages to myself at a nearly inaudible level. I lip sync the passages during my practice tests and sometimes I catch myself actually whispering. I'm not sure if this clarification will change your answers.

Well to clarify I was referring to whispering the passages to myself at a nearly inaudible level. I lip sync the passages during my practice tests and sometimes I catch myself actually whispering. I'm not sure if this clarification will change your answers.
Inaudible is good.
Audible is bad.

Make your own assessment based on your personal value of 'nearly'.

No you're not. I did it during the verbal section because that was how I practiced it. They told me after the section that I was mumbling and to stop. I thought I was being very quiet, but I guess they see you on the camera.

No, if you're going to communicate with others in the testing center, they prefer you write your message in giant letters on your dry erase board and then hold it up for the person next to you to see.

Reactions: 1 user
I was the same way -- I liked to lip sync the passages too because I found that it helped slow my reading down and focus more on the structure of passage argumentation. Unfortunately, I had to practice getting good at lip syncing without making any noise. But you can do it with minimal effort after some rehearsal. From here on out, practice silently mouthing the passages and you'll be fine come test day.

PS if your username refers to jarren benton then i dig it.