White boy diversity?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted674723

I'm an upper middle class white boy with zero difficulties in life. I am 100% aware of this. In trying to write about diversity, I have come up with few ideas.

I can talk about my leadership/teamwork that I've developed by being an athlete all my life (although I play ice hockey and my school doesn't have a team so I am playing in a local league instead. Not technically being a student athlete might hurt this idea.) I have many mentoring and leadership roles in college that are in my application already but I can flesh them out further in an essay with this theme. The idea would be that I bring the skills to organize a team.

Another idea I had was to talk about how I am completely aware that I am well off. Having these opportunities to do whatever I want has motivated me to take advantage of that and make a difference in the world. While my siblings have never really challenged themselves and my cousins didn't even go to college and are just living off of family money, I have worked my ass off to go to med school. This could come off the wrong way though.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I would go with the first option over the second...the second is a tad risky for my taste!

I'm an upper middle class white boy with zero difficulties in life. I am 100% aware of this. In trying to write about diversity, I have come up with few ideas.

I can talk about my leadership/teamwork that I've developed by being an athlete all my life (although I play ice hockey and my school doesn't have a team so I am playing in a local league instead. Not technically being a student athlete might hurt this idea.) I have many mentoring and leadership roles in college that are in my application already but I can flesh them out further in an essay with this theme. The idea would be that I bring the skills to organize a team.

Another idea I had was to talk about how I am completely aware that I am well off. Having these opportunities to do whatever I want has motivated me to take advantage of that and make a difference in the world. While my siblings have never really challenged themselves and my cousins didn't even go to college and are just living off of family money, I have worked my ass off to go to med school. This could come off the wrong way though.

Thoughts?

Yeeeaaahhhh don't do the second one. The message you want to come out of this and how this will be interpreted are far too likely to be two completely different things.

Members don't see this ad :)
So playing all diversity questions like "what unique traits can you bring to the class?" and talking about leadership etc. is good?

So playing all diversity questions like "what unique traits can you bring to the class?" and talking about leadership etc. is good?

Correct. "Diversity" doesn't have to mean your ethnic/socioeconomic background. If you think your leadership experience is strong enough to stand out among other applicants, then yes that is something that you bring to the diversity of the entering class.

Reactions: 1 user
Diversity does not just mean race or ridiculous hardships. How are you special/unique? Not all "middle class white boys" are the same right?

Talking about your sports experience is a step in the right direction. What other experiences have you had that shape your view today? Schools want interesting people, not just a crazy mix of premeds of different races.

talk about perspectives. how are you different from other candidates? Do you have special interests, strengths and passions that can make you "different" in a positive way

You and seven gazzillion other pre-meds. We expect a good work ethic from every applicant. We also expect them to know themselves, and be introspective.

While my siblings have never really challenged themselves and my cousins didn't even go to college and are just living off of family money, I have worked my ass off to go to med school.