White Coat Ceremony etiquette

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

b-real

What, me worry?
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So let's say I'm a proud graduate of School A, and am starting med school at School B, which is the arch rival of School A. I would like to wear my lucky tie (bearing my alma mater's color) to the WCC. What do you guys think, tacky or not?

Members don't see this ad.

So let's say I'm a proud graduate of School A, and am starting med school at School B, which is the arch rival of School A. I would like to wear my lucky tie (bearing my alma mater's color) to the WCC. What do you guys think, tacky or not?

No one actually cares enough about "school rivalries" to probably even say anything to you, outside of movies, of course. Especially if the tie is just the school's color. If I saw someone wearing an orange tie, my first thought would not be "Oh, he went to UT", heh.

NO ONE IS GOING TO NOTICE YOUR TIE unless it has a huge emblem of that rival school. Seriously... a tie? they won't notice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless this is something big like UNC-Duke that you are talking about I doubt someone will notice. (and if it is UNC-Duke then be proud of your side! As long as it isn't UNC :p)

Seriously though there is no reason to quit being loyal to your Alma Mater. If the tie is just a solid color or features the color prominently then whatever! (now if it actually is a tacky tie then you be the judge but I wouldn't let the rivalry dictate what you wear)

A burnt orange tie will draw looks at a red school... :D

Don't wear USC colors if you're attending UCLA....if you are going to USC and want to show off the good old blue and gold, go for it :laugh:

To go along with this thread, my favorite business wardrobe is a black suit with a pink tie. I know how conservative the medical industry is, could the pink tie be detrimental in an interview?

To go along with this thread, my favorite business wardrobe is a black suit with a pink tie. I know how conservative the medical industry is, could the pink tie be detrimental in an interview?

Do you really want to go to a school that refuses to accept you because of your tie?

I'd skip the pink tie for an interview. Stick with business conservative. There'll be plenty of time to let your personality show through later.

I'd skip the pink tie for an interview. Stick with business conservative. There'll be plenty of time to let your personality show through later.

Yeah, that's pretty much what my pre-med advisor told me about my long hair before interviews. Once you're accepted you can look like whatever you want, but you have to play the game for one day to get in. No harm in it.

First impressions are often lasting impressions. Why would you want to even risk making a bad first impression at your school's white coat ceremony? Fast forward three years when you are about to apply for a competitive residency slot and the chairman of the department remembers you as the "yahoo" who wore the stupid tie to the white coat ceremony.

Save your "lucky" ties with rival school colors for nonprofessional occasions or during sports seasons. If you have to have this on your body, wear it inside and just dress professionally (be sure to iron that white coat) for this occasion.

Medicine is a very small community with very long memories. Don't screw yourself before you even get out of the starting gate.

Unless this is something big like UNC-Duke that you are talking about I doubt someone will notice. (and if it is UNC-Duke then be proud of your side! As long as it isn't UNC :p)
Hey now! Be nice!!!:p

Members don't see this ad :)

I didn't find SDN until after I had interviewed but was amazed at the amount of hand wringing that goes on here about something as silly as a tie. When I was on the interview trail I saw a few pink shirts and pink ties and didn't really even think twice about it, and I think interviewers are much the same way. If you reflect yourself positively at the interview the last thing the interviewer will be thinking about is the color of your tie.

I personally rocked a Jerry Garcia tie with a baby blue shirt to all my interviews. I know this would cause many pre-meds on this forum to pull out there hair and scream "doom" but hey, I was accepted at every school I interviewed at. n=1.

I didn't find SDN until after I had interviewed but was amazed at the amount of hand wringing that goes on here about something as silly as a tie. When I was on the interview trail I saw a few pink shirts and pink ties and didn't really even think twice about it, and I think interviewers are much the same way. If you reflect yourself positively at the interview the last thing the interviewer will be thinking about is the color of your tie.

I personally rocked a Jerry Garcia tie with a baby blue shirt to all my interviews. I know this would cause many pre-meds on this forum to pull out there hair and scream "doom" but hey, I was accepted at every school I interviewed at. n=1.

I don't think people are as worried about impressing every interviewer with a tie as much as they are worried about accidently offending that one interviewer who might have interview them due to some stroke of bad luck.

Unless your tie says in bright red lettering "School B SUCKS!!" I wouldn't worry about it.

Seriously, just enjoy yourself!

I don't think people are as worried about impressing every interviewer with a tie as much as they are worried about accidently offending that one interviewer who might have interview them due to some stroke of bad luck.

And I would argue that if an interviewer is "offended" by an applicant's tie choice, the applicant probably had already done something to form a negative impression of himself to the interviewer.

I know it's the applicant's job to worry... but the idea that an applicant would be rejected from a school because their tie caused their interviewer to be offended just doesn't pass the common sense test to me.

And I would argue that if an interviewer is "offended" by an applicant's tie choice, the applicant probably had already done something to form a negative impression of himself to the interviewer.

I know it's the applicant's job to worry... but the idea that an applicant would be rejected from a school because their tie caused their interviewer to be offended just doesn't pass the common sense test to me.

Unless it has nudity, a big pot leaf, or daffy duck on it, you're probably ok.

Unless it has nudity, a big pot leaf, or daffy duck on it, you're probably ok.

Unless you're interviewing for an ortho, EM, or peds residency, then you're in the clear no matter what.

iono, I see it as comforting to know that you are dressed "professionally." Sure there's a good chance it won't matter, but for many people, the idea that it might matter to someone is a worry that they need to ease before going into an interview as they don't want anything to affect their performance. And just telling them it doesn't matter, well sometimes that's just not enough to put your every day neurotic pre-med at ease.

iono, I see it as comforting to know that you are dressed "professionally." Sure there's a good chance it won't matter, but for many people, the idea that it might matter to someone is a worry that they need to ease before going into an interview as they don't want anything to affect their performance. And just telling them it doesn't matter, well sometimes that's just not enough to put your every day neurotic pre-med at ease.

Oh of course. How you are dressed for an interview is important and can definitely positively or negatively affect your interview. But the idea that unless you are in a black suit with a white oxford shirt and a conservative tie, you're appearance is "harmful" to your interview is kind of silly.

If comes down to two applicants and one wore a maroon tie and one wore a pink tie, the one with the better interview wins out, regardless. I'd argue its possible to appear professional and express yourself a little bit as well. There is a little wiggle room there. And sometimes the little gambles can pay off by making you more memorable.

Of course, the "safe" course of action is to iron up that white oxford shirt and dig out that broad stripe navy tie. Which is why 80% of the interviewees out there look like clones of each other.

Last edited:
First impressions are often lasting impressions. Why would you want to even risk making a bad first impression at your school's white coat ceremony? Fast forward three years when you are about to apply for a competitive residency slot and the chairman of the department remembers you as the "yahoo" who wore the stupid tie to the white coat ceremony.

Save your "lucky" ties with rival school colors for nonprofessional occasions or during sports seasons. If you have to have this on your body, wear it inside and just dress professionally (be sure to iron that white coat) for this occasion.

Medicine is a very small community with very long memories. Don't screw yourself before you even get out of the starting gate.

But would the chairman of the department really remember something as trivial as a solid tie in a rival school's color? It's not like such a thing is outright unprofessional.

I wore a pink tie to one of my interviews. Waitlist. Wore a boring red tie to another interview. Accepted. Pink ties are definitely the kiss of death.

Your interview day is not a day to take wardrobe risks, but pink is not a risk. It is often worn by doctors, bankers, and other conservative types. Just make sure you look classy and feel comfortable. You don't want to spend one second thinking about what your interviewer thinks about your tie (or anything else you are wearing) on the day of the interview. So if you don't feel absolutely comfortable in pink, bag it. At your white coat, no one cares.

Dude - no one cares about your tie.

Just adhere to the rule of the 7-11... No shirt, no shoes, no service.