White Coat Ceremony Picture, the new Facebook Profile Picture

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Stalker

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most pre-meds don't start out thinking about gap years, they just plan to "work really really REALLY hard" and zoom from UG directly into med school. I was one of those and ended up messing up a few things and am in one gap year (graduated a few months back) and am potentially facing a second. I'm seeing a lot of my classmates updating their facebook profile pictures with them in their white coats and feeling pretty bummed about it. Anyone else feeling like this...? #TheFeels

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
Maybe you should do less facebook stalking and more focusing on your own life. Who cares what they're doing? You do you.

Reactions: 67 users
Don't worry about others. Worry about YOU.

Do what you can, and do your best. Everyone has different circumstances.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Try to look at your gap year(s) in a positive light, focusing on all the things it will contribute to your application! I know it's hard, and I am at fault for this a lot too, but try to appreciate the process/journey.

Maybe you should do less facebook stalking and more focusing on your own life. Who cares what they're doing? You do you.
Don't worry about others. Worry about YOU.

Do what you can, and do your best. Everyone has different circumstances.

+3. Everyone has their own path to medical school. These paths can be short or long, but hey, as long as it's meaningful and helps you develop into a valuable physician in the long term, by all means go for it.

As @Hospitalized signature and Teddy Roosevelt say, "Comparison is the Thief of Joy". Now go lead a happy life and ignore what others do.

Reactions: 6 users
Your username is very appropriate. ;)

Having a gap year or two may allow for some life experiences that'll change your future goals as a doctor for the better. Maybe you'll be able to apply to better programs than your peers, consider specialties you've avoided, or consider advocacy for some medically-relevant issue in the future. Take full advantage of the time you are given. :singing:

Reactions: 7 users
Most pre-meds don't start out thinking about gap years, they just plan to "work really really REALLY hard" and zoom from UG directly into med school. I was one of those and ended up messing up a few things and am in one gap year (graduated a few months back) and am potentially facing a second. I'm seeing a lot of my classmates updating their facebook profile pictures with them in their white coats and feeling pretty bummed about it. Anyone else feeling like this...? #TheFeels
You'll still likely enter med school at a younger age than I did. Chill out.

Reactions: 1 users
Deactivate. FB is a cesspool that breeds envy, self-doubt and a boatload of narcissism.

On a sad note, one of my friends was in such a picture last year and he was killed in a MVA a few months back. Forget about other people and just be glad you're alive.

Reactions: 11 users
lol facebook would have been deleted years ago had it not been for some good friends that keep asking what's going on in my life. Anyways, think about this as an opportunity to get everything in order (not just your academics but your health). Had I gone straight to medical school, I probably would have repeated my lazy attitude (even though I do still get tired from sitting all the time in one place). Years from now, no one will give a rats tail about this but the stories you come out from about your gap year will certainly be worth telling to your kids (like I didn't waste my youth just studying lol). I've never traveled abroad to a European country as a tourist before and like now if I save enough that might become a possibility. When you enter with your stories in medical school you may enter with an added benefit.

or you can always deactivate your facebook account for the time-being and return when you have an acceptance and post a bad@** picture of yourself in a white coat. Always works but don't be a smiggle during your gap years lol.

The tide will turn soon enough. You won't be jealous of them come a couple weeks when they are putting in 70 hour weeks just to pass their first anatomy exam and you get to spend your weekends sleeping in till 2 PM. Gap years are good things. You don't get to just take a year off from life to work some, rest some, vacation some, and do completely meaningless things some again in your life until you are in your 60s; take advantage of the fact you can now.

If you want to take 2 gap years, if you look at the median matriculant ages at many schools you'll find that you won't be in the minority when you do start medical school in 2 years.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah I feel you. I sort of surrounded myself with pre meds throughout college and I had a ton of my friends just recently post white coat pictures to Facebook. I'm really happy for them, but it's a bummer to not also be wearing a white coat. Keep your chin up though and enjoy this year off! Maybe save up some money for a fun trip!

Members don't see this ad :)
In 20 years, it won't matter. Maybe your friends will have been practicing for 15 years and you for 13. It does suck right now, though. I have friends going into 3rd year and I'm praying to get accepted this cycle. Maybe you can one-up them and get into a more desirable specialty :thinking:

Realistically I'm taking 5 years for finishing my bachelor's, and have 1-2 years for a gap year/s, so I understand that lol. Wish I had gotten things done sooner...

There will always be I wish, I could've, should've, etc.... I have taken more than just a gap year, more like 10. Frankly, I know I will be light years better as a physician than I would have been had I gone right after college. I have had time to mature, work crappy jobs that have given me perspective and learn about myself. This extra time has made all the difference in the type of physician I will be. I have also taken sooooo many extra classes and had great learning experiences in clinical settings that will prove invaluable. Count the experiences you have before medical school as positives and stop looking at others accomplishments as insults to your progress. Be happy for them because one day that will be you!

You could update your profile pic with you in a black coat.

Reactions: 7 users
Deactivate. FB is a cesspool that breeds envy, self-doubt and a boatload of narcissism.
Facebook is much like SDN- it's a mirror. To me, it's a way to quickly arrange events, share files with my classmates, and keep in touch with friends that have scattered to the winds. If you're envious, self-doubting, or find yourself becoming narcissistic with your postings, perhaps the problem isn't the platform. And I'm not saying that to take a dig at you- just getting you to evaluate why you think about it the way you do. You can deactivate your Facebook, get banned from SDN, or shut down your Twitter, but it doesn't do a damn bit of good if the problem was inside all along.

FB is an awesome tool my whole class uses for organization and file sharing, the few that don't have it find themselves struggling to find resources and miss out on certain academic things that are only mentioned on the group FB page. Med school would be much more difficult without it, at least with the way my class rolls.

Reactions: 5 users
Some solid advice here. I can see where OP is coming from though. I took a gap year and before my acceptance I started feeling a tinge of jealously seeing my friends post their white coat pics and stuff. I caught myself feeling jealous and told myself not to care because I'll get there anyway.

Reactions: 2 users
Facebook is much like SDN- it's a mirror. To me, it's a way to quickly arrange events, share files with my classmates, and keep in touch with friends that have scattered to the winds. If you're envious, self-doubting, or find yourself becoming narcissistic with your postings, perhaps the problem isn't the platform. And I'm not saying that to take a dig at you- just getting you to evaluate why you think about it the way you do. You can deactivate your Facebook, get banned from SDN, or shut down your Twitter, but it doesn't do a damn bit of good if the problem was inside all along.

FB is an awesome tool my whole class uses for organization and file sharing, the few that don't have it find themselves struggling to find resources and miss out on certain academic things that are only mentioned on the group FB page. Med school would be much more difficult without it, at least with the way my class rolls.

I imagine usage varies from high school to undergrad to grad school. It wasn't something that came across as useful to me at the time, but maybe it will. I'd consider reactivating if it was a real resource. I have noticed that people sometimes become upset over what is on FB which is why I suggested deactivation. If you lose more than you gain, then it probably isn't worth it. While it would be ideal for people to have thick skins and whatnot, clearly that isn't the case for everyone.

A year later and I didn't make the cut, got rejected everywhere - and the white coat pics are resurfacing again -_-

I am finishing my first of two gap years and I am so so so incredibly happy with the way the past year has gone. I have so much time to fill with learning new things and working on myself, art, music, anything (Even working full time I've found this to be true)! That being said, many of my friends also have these white coat pictures up and it does feel a bit like people are passing you by. Just don't let yourself become stagnant. A gap year is not a failure, it's the chance to do literally anything. I know it's cliche, but note how you feel when you see those, then trying to turn it around and picture how ecstatic you'll be on that day next year. Then close out of Facebook and read a book because you have more free time than them ;)

I am finishing my first of two gap years and I am so so so incredibly happy with the way the past year has gone. I have so much time to fill with learning new things and working on myself, art, music, anything (Even working full time I've found this to be true)! That being said, many of my friends also have these white coat pictures up and it does feel a bit like people are passing you by. Just don't let yourself become stagnant. A gap year is not a failure, it's the chance to do literally anything. I know it's cliche, but note how you feel when you see those, then trying to turn it around and picture how ecstatic you'll be on that day next year. Then close out of Facebook and read a book because you have more free time than them ;)
Thanks for the kind words :).

I had my heart set on going right out of ug, didn't make it, applied with 1 gap year thinking a year won't be awful, and I still didn't make it which is why I'm so down. but ur right, it does feel like everyone is passing me by even though I'm not stagnant, I'll get there, eventually =)

I'm starting to wonder that either there are too many people getting into medical school these days OR I have no life cause all my "facebook friends" are premed gaga. Really starting to question if my path into medicine is all that "unique" as I put it.

Can relate to this. However, its important to channel it into something productive and not dwell on it

I'm in the same boat man my first cycle two years ago didn't go so well and I have friends who are a year younger starting med school because they got in straight out of UG. Couple words of advice.

1. Your life is not a race who cares if whatshisface is in med school now
2. Don't sit around and waste time go find a job you really like to do (not some boring one you would hate), make some money and spend it on yourself.
3. Make your next application as best as possible so you have little trouble getting in next cycle

I personally am taking two years off, and in the one year thats past so far Ive done things I would have never been able to do if I was in med school. I travelled, got into shape, and ran a marathon. In a way fb pictures of me sitting on a beach in hawaii made them white coat guys just as jealous because they were under all that med school stress. Finally putting on a white coat is cool and all but its a burden. think the of 4 years of struggle (and residency afterwards) you have to go through.

If it makes you feel any better OP, I didn't change my prof pic to a white coat photo.

Most of the people in my class did not come straight from undergrad, many had 2+ years out.

Started undergrad in 2004. Had some hiccups. Just finished my bachelors this year, but won't be able to apply to med school until 2018. Just relax. A couple gap years is nothing. Just don't waste it away feeling sorry for yourself.

It wouldn't just happen with White Coat pics,--it'll happen with weddings, children, engagement rings, ....bigger house, bigger car, "Exotic" vacations..the list goes on and on .

Personally I'm not on FB with this being of the reason. Online life really distorts reality. Don't built a story about how good someone's life is based on a picture and then compare it to yourself.

There's a quote that says we always compare someone's best to our worst.

Started undergrad in 2004. Had some hiccups. Just finished my bachelors this year, but won't be able to apply to med school until 2018. Just relax. A couple gap years is nothing. Just don't waste it away feeling sorry for yourself.
Dang that's a long case of hiccups.

Facebook is a highlight reel. I personally think white coat profile pictures are a pathetic cry for attention.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I can understand OP feeling bad, especially if applications didn't go over well. I've seen some of those pictures, including ones posted by the schools themselves. But like everyone else said, it's Facebook. Some people will endlessly post about these successes, others won't. And there could be things happening behind the scenes and these photos are just putting on a happy face. Just got to focus on yourself.

Reactions: 1 user
Facebook is a highlight reel. I personally think white coat profile pictures are a pathetic cry for attention.

Really? A bit harsh.
It's pretty exciting for first year med students. It's a step forward in school, so why not be proud of it?

Reactions: 10 users
Really? A bit harsh.
It's pretty exciting for first year med students. It's a step forward in school, so why not be proud of it?

Only saying that because they know it'll get a lot of likes.

I literally only use Facebook for the messenger, my news feed is so trash (dumb memes, stupid videos, "1 like = 1 cure", etc) I feel like my brain turns to mush the more I scroll through it :/

Only saying that because they know it'll get a lot of likes.

I'll definitely be posting a white coat pic if I get in somewhere (my profile pic is limited mostly to pics of my family or cartoons). I only have 30 FB friends, so that's the upper bound on my likes.

Not everyone is just looking for attention. Almost my entire family lives on the right coast, and I've been in California and Hawaii for the last 5 years almost. If I didn't have Facebook, a lot of people on my side of the fam would never see pics of my kids.

Just remember, time will go on no matter what you do. It just means you're gonna be a little behind. It's all good.

Facebook was so much better when it was restricted to people with a .edu email address and you could look up friends based on what classes they had.

Letting high school (or younger) kids and everyone's Aunt Mildred or Grandpa Mort on there was the beginning of the end.

Get off my damn lawn.

Facebook was so much better when it was restricted to people with a .edu email address and you could look up friends based on what classes they had.

Letting high school (or younger) kids and everyone's Aunt Mildred or Grandpa Mort on there was the beginning of the end.

Get off my damn lawn.

In theory I agree with you, but in practice, I like being able to chat with my wife and get pics of my kids quickly when I'm on cruise.

Because you're feeling insecure, they should tone down their excitement for their achievements? I don't have my white coat picture as my profile picture, but a lot of my class does. Why? Because they've earned it, and nobody can take that away from them. But because people like you need to feel comfortable, they should change their pictures? Got it.

I guess that's what this world is coming to. What a shame.

white coat pictures bring you down? Be thankful you don't go to a school where everyone and their mother goes to work in the tech industry. 22/23 year olds with Porsches and Teslas everywhere

You get to potentially experience things your friends won't ever do until they're in their mid-30's. Take advantage of that. I promise the end goal of life isn't becoming a physician.

Just remember, time will go on no matter what you do. It just means you're gonna be a little behind. It's all good.

I mean yeah, but plenty of people start medical school at 30+. It's all relative.

there are many people who have worked really really hard and have ended up not being accepted by medical school at all

honestly all those people in white coats on facebook are a bit full of themselves, but they deserve to be since they have worked pretty hard to earn it

get into medical school and DON'T post your pictures on facebook, that'll show them

either way, once all of you get into medical school, no one's going to care much about profile pictures much longer

It never stops, but you deal with it.

In MD/PhD world, you get to see pictures of your classmates graduating from medical school while you run your PCR in lab for the 10,000th time. Then, when you're still in the "drowning" phase of your intern year you get to see all of the "Yay, I passed boards! So excited for my attending salary!" status updates.

But at the end of the day, you have your unique skill set and they have theirs. I mean, who needs an attending salary, when you are REALLY good at growing bacteria? ...right?

Im 23, and I took a gap year, honestly It was the best decision ever. I actually travelled everywhere, and tutored, I needed to relax, and discover myself! We have been in school forever and you just need it. Lot of people take gap years, every one is different. I feel very young in my current medical school class, everyone seems to be in the 25-26 age range, and took multiple gap years. So who cares? At the end of the day if you want to be a doctor, you'll find a way to do it