white coats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nev

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
do anasthesiologists wear white coats during their shifts like other physicians?

nev

Members don't see this ad.

White coats are for those metrosexual kind of guys who shave their arms and legs. Burn your white coat once your med school diploma is in your hand and take a major dump in front of the office door of that major a$$hole attending who gave you the most grief during your med school tenure. ---Zippy

And what should the women do, considering just about all of us practice some sort of hair removal (hence the metrosexuality doesn't really apply) and we would never, ever make a public offering of any of our bodily waste products?

Members don't see this ad :)
N2b8 said:
And what should the women do, considering just about all of us practice some sort of hair removal (hence the metrosexuality doesn't really apply) and we would never, ever make a public offering of any of our bodily waste products?

:laugh:

2 outta my 3 partners wear the coat in the morning for preops and when going to the floor for something. Mine's been balled up in the back seat of my Yukon XL for about six months.

For the women, if you have that South Miami Beach look, please keep it off however, if you have that frumpy, Pillsbury doughy look, please wear that white coat at all times. Warmest regards, ---Zippy

zippy2u said:
For the women, if you have that South Miami Beach look, please keep it off however, if you have that frumpy, Pillsbury doughy look, please wear that white coat at all times. Warmest regards, ---Zippy

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

speaking of the white coat, I'm have some growing pains with mine. First of all, our department gives us 5 embroidered white coats to start with. The hospital we rotate in for most of our first year has their own medicine interns wear blue coats (which aren't personalized), so we stand out a little, which is I don't mind, I guess. The problem I'm having is that it's so long, I'm always stepping on it when I get up from a chair or from kneeling/crouching at a patient's bedside. The other thing is that it's only about 3 weeks old, and it's already pretty filthy (the light blue ones obviously hide the dirt and pen marks a lot better). My laundering options are these:

send it in with the blue ones and risk it getting lost or getting it back slightly blue.

wash it myself at home and spead all that sweet, sweet MRSA and VRE to everyone at my apt building.

Wash it myself with bleach and risk ruining the colored embroidery.

As I'm writing this, I can't help but see how trivial this all is, yet I can't stop myself from posting it...

i always wondered...

why do the anesthesiologists wear those freakin blue med student sized white coats in the OR?

I mean its not like we're going to have to be 'sterile' like the surgeons. Why dont the Gas docs just wear long white coats that they wear only in the OR and NOT take outside of the OR ?

Its just something about those short, blue coats man.....i mean after four yrs of short white coating........ :D not to mention the blunder of a fashion appeal it makes (lol zippy..i know u'll love that one)

Hey , thanks for the replies everyone....I was under the impression that doctors had to wear white coats everywhere within the hospital except in the OR and in the ER.

It's bad enough that a lot of my patients think I'm a nurse already, but take away the white coat on the floor when doing preops and postops and the number of nurse references skyrockets.

Gas passers and pit docs (ER) are typically known for their casual dress when compared to colleagues in other fields. Many docs like these fields partially for this reason. Being able to come to work in pajama-like clothing is pretty cool. Regardless, it's really not professional to walk around the hospital seeing patients without something identifiable, i.e. the white coat. We think it doens't matter, but time and time again patients preference is that there doctor looks professional and like a doctor.

A lot of anesthesia peeps wear those short colored coats in the OR because it's damn cold and you freeze your a** off, except for peds where you are dying in the heat. The problem with wearing white coats in the OR, even if they are just for the OR is that no one would be able to tell that they were just for the OR. That's why OR clothes are different. People wouldn't follow the rules.

I agree with gaslady. Already, many other specialties consider us to be pseudo-doctors and not wearing the white coat on the floors perpetuates that stereotype. I wear my white coat to work in the AM, and it spends most of the day hanging on a hook outside the OR, but when I go do preops or to provide anesthesia service outside the OR, I make a point to wear it whenever I can.

gaslady said:
A lot of anesthesia peeps wear those short colored coats in the OR because it's damn cold and you freeze your a** off, except for peds where you are dying in the heat. The problem with wearing white coats in the OR, even if they are just for the OR is that no one would be able to tell that they were just for the OR. That's why OR clothes are different. People wouldn't follow the rules.

ur totally right ppl wouldnt follow the rules.

however, why not wear longer blue coats, instead of those small ones. even for the reason you mentioned (getting confused with nurses), long blue coats would mk the distinction. granted, i'm not referring to long DARK blue coats, but you know something suave wouldnt be bad. :laugh:

alright before you guys think i'm some flamer, i'll quit.
peace

ThinkFast007 said:
ur totally right ppl wouldnt follow the rules.

however, why not wear longer blue coats, instead of those small ones. even for the reason you mentioned (getting confused with nurses), long blue coats would mk the distinction. granted, i'm not referring to long DARK blue coats, but you know something suave wouldnt be bad. :laugh:

alright before you guys think i'm some flamer, i'll quit.
peace

If you collect all the iv, syringe, circuit, hotline, suction, mask, lma/ett/blade, fluid bag, BAIR Hugger, etc, wrapping generated from the first two cases that should provide you with a TON of insulation. Granted you have to pack your scrubs with the stuff and stand a good chance of being ostracized. Thats ok, the rainforest will tank you. Or maybe the Rainforest Cafe.

Gas said:
I agree with gaslady. Already, many other specialties consider us to be pseudo-doctors and not wearing the white coat on the floors perpetuates that stereotype. I wear my white coat to work in the AM, and it spends most of the day hanging on a hook outside the OR, but when I go do preops or to provide anesthesia service outside the OR, I make a point to wear it whenever I can.

Sorry folks, I'm in disagreement here. Unlike the academic world where status/titles/white coats are everything, white coats dont make you a doctor. Your reputation on how you take care of patients makes you a doctor.
And if a dude/dudette in scrubs comes in the patients room and introduces themselves as Doctor so-and-so, I dont see that being inferior to wearing a white coat.
Best nerosurgeon at my previous gig didnt even own a white coat, and patients flocked to him because he was a nice guy who rocked out with his c*ck out in the OR. Craniotomy, 1 hour. One level discectomy 30 minutes, etc etc, with great results.

jetproppilot said:
Sorry folks, I'm in disagreement here. Unlike the academic world where status/titles/white coats are everything, white coats dont make you a doctor. Your reputation on how you take care of patients makes you a doctor.
And if a dude/dudette in scrubs comes in the patients room and introduces themselves as Doctor so-and-so, I dont see that being inferior to wearing a white coat.
Best nerosurgeon at my previous gig didnt even own a white coat, and patients flocked to him because he was a nice guy who rocked out with his c*ck out in the OR. Craniotomy, 1 hour. One level discectomy 30 minutes, etc etc, with great results.

We are expected to wear our white coats outside of the OR. I dont really mind...

Discectomy in 30 min..OMG :eek: . It takes 30 min to position the pt now.

MAC10 said:
We are expected to wear our white coats outside of the OR. I dont really mind...

Discectomy in 30 min..OMG :eek: . It takes 30 min to position the pt now.

I'm not saying its a bad thing, because it is not. Actually it is a positive thing. Point being don't make too much out of the white coat. I've seen many poor clinicians who wear a white coat everywhere, probably even to bed.