white students at HBCUs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bunjagraham

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a white student at an HBCU medical school, and while I feel honored to have been accepted into this school, I cannot stop feeling like many of my classmates think I should not be there because I am not a URM. I don't know what the admissions committee was thinking when they accepted me, aside from that hopefully I was qualified to enter medical school, but I feel like some of my classmates need me to justify my presence at the school, and I am not able to do that, other than by saying that I was accepted by the admissions committee and chose to attend.

I wanted to post to this forum because I was wondering what people's honest thoughts/feelings were about having white students at HBCUs. Do you wish we were not there? Is there anything we can do to make ourselves more welcome?

Thanks for any feedback...
:cry:

Members don't see this ad.

Only white people can be racist. What you perceive is your majority race hate vibes reflecting back at you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a white student at an HBCU medical school, and while I feel honored to have been accepted into this school, I cannot stop feeling like many of my classmates think I should not be there because I am not a URM. I don't know what the admissions committee was thinking when they accepted me, aside from that hopefully I was qualified to enter medical school, but I feel like some of my classmates need me to justify my presence at the school, and I am not able to do that, other than by saying that I was accepted by the admissions committee and chose to attend.

I wanted to post to this forum because I was wondering what people's honest thoughts/feelings were about having white students at HBCUs. Do you wish we were not there? Is there anything we can do to make ourselves more welcome?

In life you do what you have to do to get where you need to go. Some will be accepting of you, and some won't. As long as you feel that the environment is conducive to you getting what you need out of the experience, who cares what other people are thinking?

I know it must be hard to adjust. But its new for you and new for them too. Just understand that you got accepted to this school because you were qualified and they found you to be a contributing asset to the institution just as all the other student got accepted for the same reasons.

Also, many minorities go through what you have as well. I have seen many cases where non-minorities question minority applicants and their acceptance. This meaning, they assume they got in just because they were a minority, or that ADCOMs have lower expections of minorities so its easier for them to get in, making the majority students think the minority "stole their spot". Its hard because many minorities in any healthcare school tend to be the minority at whatever school they attend (usually dominated by White and/or Asian student populations;the non-HBCU's). Minority or not, all applicants get accepted because they are qualified and ADCOMs see great potential in them.

Believe it or not, you and your classmates relate now more than ever. Because now you guys are in the position to understand each others experiences and what it is to be in each others shoes. You and your classmates relate more now, more that you thought.

Don't doubt yourself and don't let this situation get in the way of doing well in school or being happy. Continue doing what you do and being open and friendly. Sometimes it just takes time for people to open up to one another. Hang in there!

Hey, first things first. Respect. :thumbup:

You definitely deserve to be there so don't get down and don't let anyone make you feel otherwise.

Some people may wish you were not there, but that's life. That could also happen at Harvard. However, I'm certain the people that feel that way are in the minority. And I'm sure you have some VERY accepting classmates and a faculty that obviously thought highly enough of you to offer you an acceptance.

Unfortunately, the black-white racial tension in the US is still very palpable. There's not much you can do but remain strong and trust that you have just as much of a right to be at that school as anyone else. Black, white, teal, it doesn't matter. All you can do is remain open-minded and embracing and you'll do fine. The student's that hate on you, are gonna hate on you regardless, there's nothing you can do about that. However, the student's that are merely apprehensive will loosen up as they get to know you. Congrats and best of luck to you G.

Thanks for your replies and encouragement. I was feeling really down about all of this last night, but I think you are right that I just need to hang in there and do the best that I can to pursue the goals and passions that I share with my classmates. If I hold my head high and am true to myself, perhaps acceptance by my peers will come with time.

I do think that attending an HBCU is an amazing experience, and I really am grateful that the ADCOM saw fit to offer me this opportunity, whatever their reasons may be.

:)

I suggest you get a Black girlfriend. :thumbup:

Honestly, you're just experiencing what it's like to be a "minority". And I think this will be good for your personal growth and make you more emphathetic to minority patients in the future. Like others have stated, you have earned your spot so succeed in medical school and ignore the (perceived) negativity.

Make sure that you aren't giving off stand-offish vibes though.

Only white people can be racist. What you perceive is your majority race hate vibes reflecting back at you.

:eek::laugh:

Hey, first things first. Respect. :thumbup:

You definitely deserve to be there so don't get down and don't let anyone make you feel otherwise.

Some people may wish you were not there, but that's life. That could also happen at Harvard. However, I'm certain the people that feel that way are in the minority. And I'm sure you have some VERY accepting classmates and a faculty that obviously thought highly enough of you to offer you an acceptance.

Unfortunately, the black-white racial tension in the US is still very palpable. There's not much you can do but remain strong and trust that you have just as much of a right to be at that school as anyone else. Black, white, teal, it doesn't matter. All you can do is remain open-minded and embracing and you'll do fine. The student's that hate on you, are gonna hate on you regardless, there's nothing you can do about that. However, the student's that are merely apprehensive will loosen up as they get to know you. Congrats and best of luck to you G.

:thumbup:

You know, you will spend essentially three years with your medical school class. Do you really care what other people "think" about where you are and what you do? Seriously, most folks in medical school are about the business of getting their studies done to really care about who is or is not in their class. I doubt that they will even notice you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest you get a Black girlfriend. :thumbup:

why are we assuming bunjagraham is a man? and if bujagraham is a man, that he's straight? or... you get the picture. ;)

honestly bunja, don't worry about it. just worry about the things that you can control. medical school is hard enough as it is, without spending extra time worrying about "proving" yourself.

just be a reasonable person, and you should do fine. whether your a guy, girl, straight, gay, bi...

I agree with all the posters (including you needing to get a black girlfriend...:D). Focus on yourself and do your best..in the end that's what really matters. Good Luck:thumbup::thumbup:

are you trying to be funny? You can't be serious, because if you are, that's the absolute least intelligent thing I've heard in quite some time.

im black and the reason other students look at you funny is because they they tend to think that historically black means all black. just hang in there and make a couple friends. dont outcast yourself and give off bad vibes or they'll think your a racist and you're definitely arent. you deserve to be there and u had the courage to apply there. thats on reason that the counselors accepted you and you probably have pretty good stats. oh and if u are indeed a male, remember getting a black girlfriend doesn't mean that other black people will respect you.oh yeah give re3spect to get respect

Hey buddy,
I was really disturbed by some of the negative replies your thread got. I was also happy with the positive ones.
Of course the admission committee had a good valid logic accepting you. They can see your color, and how you gonna fit in this black school. These are men and women who have years and years of experience, and who has to explain their admission decissions on daily basis. So, I'm sure they really want you there.
Don't worry about the ignorant ones. They just don't understand that.
I attend a black school, and I have white classmates. We get along just fine. I don't feel that they owe me any explanation of why they are here. Our school gives white students scholarships to attend, because in black schools they are a "minority". That doesn't make us hate them. They deserve to be there as much as I do.
I like it because when a white person attends a black school, he/she will get a closer look at the black community. He will get to know it better, and understand what the African Americans are going through. He/she can relate. I think this is what the admission committee was thinking when they admitted you.
You don't owe no-one nothing! Be proud of who you are! When it comes to color I really don't care. Matter of fact I like green ($).;)

You deserve to attend that university just as much as anyone else does. A student body should be diverse in all rights. By having you there, it brings about this situation which will in the end, hopefully, be beneficial for everybody :).

If someone genuinely asks you why you are there. Tell them the same reason they are... to get an education.

I am sure that admissions would like a diverse student body. By diverse, I mean not just full of any cut model sort of applicant.

bigotry go all ways and all directions. all races and peoples have within them groups of people who exhibit prejudice and practice discrimination. whites, blacks, asians,hispanics, everybody. anybody who doesn't agree is kidding themselves.

Isn't this a racist comment?

I'm an Asian currently attending a HBCU for undergrad. I do not eel any tension between the African American population majority and myself, and I think the same for the other races (Caucasian, Middle Eastern, etc.). But I will always be a minority no matter what kind of school I go to.

Ok. I think someone said black people are not racist. Bull****!! I am black and my boyfriend who is white have to defend himself all the time around black men who gets nasty with him. I have heard some pretty nasty and racist **** come out of some black folks mouth.

Now, to answer your question. What you are feeling maybe real or it might just be you feeling self conscious. Just chill out. I am sure you are there because you are a good student. I also think you are there Cause ADCOM believed in you. Obviously, you are there cause you like the school. Just chill and be greatfull that you are going to medical school. Enjoy med school.

Last edited: