who are your premed demons ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harmony2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
mine is all the time i could be spending hanging out with the boys rather than this !!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am currently 23 years old, all of my friends are currently working. By the time I enter medical school I will be 24, with an extra year for a joint degree, I will be 29 when I graduate.

By the time I graduate medical school, without actually completing residency and becoming a doctor, many of my friends will have either gotten engaged, bought their first place, had kids, etc.

All the while I will be working 80 hour weeks for another 3+ years before I will actually be a full fledged doctor.

Medicine forces you to wait on living life, and with social media it can be hard to sit back and watch your friends live theirs.

Reactions: 5 users
I am currently 23 years old, all of my friends are currently working. By the time I enter medical school I will be 24, with an extra year for a joint degree, I will be 29 when I graduate.

By the time I graduate medical school, without actually completing residency and becoming a doctor, many of my friends will have either gotten engaged, bought their first place, had kids, etc.

All the while I will be working 80 hour weeks for another 3+ years before I will actually be a full fledged doctor.

Medicine forces you to wait on living life, and with social media it can be hard to sit back and watch your friends live theirs.

Not sure why you think you have to wait to live life. Medicine is a time drag for sure, but you are kidding yourself if you think most people on this path put everything else in life aside for a decade. You find a balance. It might be different than that of your non medical friends, but you don't have to lag behind them in major life events.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure why you think you have to wait to live life. Medicine is a time drag for sure, but you are kidding yourself if you think most people on this path put everything else in life aside for a decade. You find a balance. It might be different than that of your non medical friends, but you don't have to lag behind them in major life events.

How can one be expected to get engaged with $100k+ in debt? Let alone pay for the wedding.

When is the best time for a woman to have children during a medical education? Especially if she is pursuing something like surgery?

I'm not saying that people don't do it, it just feels like it might be more beneficial to wait until later, given the aforementioned difficulties.

How can one be expected to get engaged with $100k+ in debt? Let alone pay for the wedding.

When is the best time for a woman to have children during a medical education? Especially if she is pursuing something like surgery?

I'm not saying that people don't do it, it just feels like it might be more beneficial to wait until later, given the aforementioned difficulties.

Much of the married world gets married before they are financially solvent. And in the medical career there isn't a "best time" to have kids-- just inconvenient and more inconvenient. Do you really think when you finish residency and trying to establish yourself as a young attending it's that much easier? Live your life around residency, don't postpone it.

Reactions: 4 users
Much of the married world gets married before they are financially solvent. And in the medical career there isn't a "best time" to have kids-- just inconvenient and more inconvenient. Do you really think when you finish residency and trying to establish yourself as a young attending it's that much easier? Live your life around residency, don't postpone it.

I'm aware many people get married with little money, and this might be very premature on my part, but that just sounds a little fiscally irresponsible. And yes, this is true, but i would hate to have kids young, lets say in medical school, and be forced to miss many of their formative moments because I am working all the time.

Now, yes, the same can be said for attendings, but from what I have been told you have much more control of your schedule once you are a fully fledged physician.

Not being able to spend as much time with my daughter as I would in other jobs (not careers).
Also, possibly putting off having another for up to 7 more years.

Analytical chemistry lab is my biggest demon, at least currently. Hardest class I've taken and probably will take in undergrad. Those who have taken it will understand, 3 hours of meticulous, hard and SUPER boring lab work. Doing numerous titrations which need to be spot on, weighing compounds to the nearest 0.0001 gram, and redoing lab work because your data is garbage (and by garbage, I mean off by 5% from the expected value). Sadly it's a pre-req for Biochem at my university.

All that stuff about family and spending youth in school is something I know is coming, and as Law2Doc pointed out, isn't all that terrible. Analytical chemistry lab was not something I knew was coming haha.

... But from what I have been told you have much more control of your schedule once you are a fully fledged physician.

You might think, but it's not always the case. There's a lot of "paying your dues" in medicine and you probably will be older than you'd want to start a family before you have as much control of your schedule as you seem to suggest. Does it get better? Sure. A lot better? Not for a while. In truth some of the young attendings log more hours than the residents.

The "demon" of not enough time to do it all will haunt you well beyond your training.

Analytical chemistry lab is my biggest demon, at least currently. Hardest class I've taken and probably will take in undergrad. Those who have taken it will understand, 3 hours of meticulous, hard and SUPER boring lab work. Doing numerous titrations which need to be spot on, weighing compounds to the nearest 0.0001 gram, and redoing lab work because your data is garbage (and by garbage, I mean off by 5% from the expected value). Sadly it's a pre-req for Biochem at my university.

I'm so glad I took Analytical Chemistry. It helped me a lot with the mcat. The lab portion was awful though.

My premed demon was genetics class. It is the definitive weed out course for the premeds at my university. I still get shivers when I hear my peers who are currently taking it talk about it.

All that stuff about family and spending youth in school is something I know is coming, and as Law2Doc pointed out, isn't all that terrible. Analytical chemistry lab was not something I knew was coming haha.
When I took analytical I f*kin hated it, but I am kind of glad I took it now

Not knowing if I would get in...(still a problem, actually!)

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
it just feels like it might be more beneficial to wait until later, given the aforementioned difficulties.
9ce12.jpg

hey, by the time im done with residency a slutty few of my girlies from high school will be grannies. oh well.

Not getting laid as much as I would be otherwise. But once I'm a rich doctor, oh how the tables will turn.

But really, I love being premed. It gives my life direction. I feel like my classmates are just floating; like fate's vagrants.

Not being able to hang out with my friends during my gap year because they've either graduated and moved away from campus or are still in school and are too busy to hang out. :/

Oh, and also not knowing if I'll get accepted this cycle, but that's obvious.

I'm so glad I took Analytical Chemistry. It helped me a lot with the mcat. The lab portion was awful though.

My premed demon was genetics class. It is the definitive weed out course for the premeds at my university. I still get shivers when I hear my peers who are currently taking it talk about it.

When I took analytical I f*kin hated it, but I am kind of glad I took it now

Why specifically are you happy you took analytical? I guess it is a pretty good gen chem review...

My demon is the fear that I feel like I have so much more I want to do in undergrad but I don't have the time because I have to hit the pre-med milestones. I want to be an academic eventually and medicine interests me more than anything else but I have other academic interests and hobbies and I'm afraid they will be drowned out in the rat race. I also fear I might become desensitized to the point where I no longer notice I've lost or put off all of these other subjects I enjoy.

You don't have to apply immediately. Hit all ur milestones then take a break. If you're worried about forgetting mcat stuff, go ahead and take it as your score should be good for a few years assuming you take the new one.

Take 2 or 3 yrs to explore. You might regret it if you don't.

Why specifically are you happy you took analytical? I guess it is a pretty good gen chem review...
Because you learn how to rigorously analyze data and be very meticulous in performing experiments. Plus I learned how to use some instrumentation

You might think, but it's not always the case. There's a lot of "paying your dues" in medicine and you probably will be older than you'd want to start a family before you have as much control of your schedule as you seem to suggest. Does it get better? Sure. A lot better? Not for a while. In truth some of the young attendings log more hours than the residents.

The "demon" of not enough time to do it all will haunt you well beyond your training.

I feel like this is specialty dependant personally. Can this be said to be true for Rads/Derm/EM/FP/PM&R/Peds attendings? Probably in some cases, but alot of people who go into these specialties in the first place do it so they can maintain a stable home life and spend time with their kids/family.

You don't have to apply immediately. Hit all ur milestones then take a break. If you're worried about forgetting mcat stuff, go ahead and take it as your score should be good for a few years assuming you take the new one.

Take 2 or 3 yrs to explore. You might regret it if you don't.

Yes, but for those of us nontrads who are entering medical school toward our mid twenties, it is a hard sell considering the conclusion of our training would get pushed more toward the mid 30s instead of early 30s if we took more time.

And I feel like alot of the temporality of relationships is a mindset. I personally find it hard to date sometimes because when I get serious with someone I start to think about who knows where I'll go for medical school/joint degree/residency/fellowship/practice. The lack of control can be frustrating.

My boyfriend mentioned something about marriage and such during residency; it's still an inconvenient time but it is probably going to be less inconvenient than during medical school.

My boyfriend mentioned something about marriage and such during residency; it's still an inconvenient time but it is probably going to be less inconvenient than during medical school.

Summer after first year and the latter half of the last year of med school are the least inconvenient times. Intern year will be the most.

mine is all the time i could be spending hanging out with the boys rather than this !![/QUOTE]
Same as you OP...when my bros are shooting the ****/gettin yucky and having a good time, I'm at the downtown ED scribing for some ass hole doctor + watching people try to fake problems to get narcotics.

If I didn't have to do bull **** EC's to prove that I want medicine, being premed would be awesome. Just work hard all week, have a good time all weekend. Repeat.

Same as you OP...when my bros are shooting the ****/gettin yucky and having a good time, I'm at the downtown ED scribing for some ass hole doctor + watching people try to fake problems to get narcotics.

If I didn't have to do bull **** EC's to prove that I want medicine, being premed would be awesome. Just work hard all week, have a good time all weekend. Repeat.

your disgust with normal people has progressed at an astonishing rate, beyond that of even the most depressed resident. You may skip med school and auto enter into any ihatepeoplebutwanttocareforthem residency of your choice. Just click or tap, here. :smuggrin: