Who delineates normal structures in your department?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mpdoc2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who delineates normal structures in your department?

Members don't see this ad.

Dosi is supposed to contour all easily identifiable normal structures. What that entails varies by dosimetrist. Really depends on disease site. For brain, we do almost everything. For thoracic: sometimes esophagus. For pelvis: rectum and occasionally small bowel.

Dosimetrists contour eyes, spinal rectum, cord & lungs.
If we are lucky and they have dosimetrist trainee, they also contour liver & kidneys.

Parotids, chiasm, small bowel and so on are always contoured by the physicians.

I want an auto-segmentation programme do. I despise contouring liver especially!

Members don't see this ad :)
With good software, contouring normal structures is a breeze (I use auto segmentation in MIM). Also, it significantly decompresses the workload of you dosimetrist so that he/she can focus on planning instead of contouring normal structures.

However, when I was using Pinnacle it was PAINFUL to contour large normal structures like liver and I would enthusiastically agree with Palex on that.

Add esophagus to the list of structures contoured by the physician (at least for me -- the dosimetrists appreciate some help with that)

I always review/adjust normal structures as necessary after the dosimetrist contours them.